Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the finish is, to be honest. I'll paint it white, I know... boring, but I've always pictured myself living in a little white cottage over there, though this is neither cottage, nor little!

Eyeries on the West coast in Ireland is one colourful little village. We went there twice and goodness, the houses are almost all painted bright colours. It's stunning! Here are some pics Images for eyeries

I didn't show you guys the other place that caught my eye... http://www.daft.ie/sales/flaughanagh-dromahair-leitrim/520606/

Look at the price history on this listing:

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 07.35.53.png

Absolutely love the house, but it has NO outbuildings and I've seen cheaper ones that has more land and some outbuildings, which is something I really want, for animal housing.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You need a boat to get to it. How will you transport animals that you want, and what about getting stuff to market?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the village of Eyeries! COLOR! That's what I'm talking about!! Paint your chosen house with COLOR!!! There are no front yards! Doors are right on the street. Are there back yards? It is a lovely picturesque village.

Island? WOW! That is fantastic. Access could be a problem. How far in the sea, and how far to the mainland? 200 feet or miles? That could make a difference. Also what about winter storms? And would you be commuting to work? A daily splash of ocean water in the face, on the clothes, twice a day could get to be a PITA.

I love the island. If you could snug down during bad weather, had a stocked larder, your sheep or goats snug in their barns, then I say go for it. But if you got fired because a storm kept you on the island for more time than you were able to show up for work, that could definitely be a detriment to your financial status.

Keep posting links, this is fun! I love seeing the houses and pics. Don't be surprised that when you get moved in, that a lot of your TEG, SS and BYH friends "suddenly" feel the need to visit Ireland! LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went back to link and finished looking at all the pictures if Eyeries.....now you got ME wanting to move to Ireland! :lol: I am of Scottish decent, wonder how that would work out....... :gig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule Have you noticed I'm looking at minimum 3-bed houses only? ;) I've a list of friends threatening to come visit me there and everyone's more than welcome! I'm making sure I'll have a spare bedroom ready for visitors. I'm definitely expecting some BYC friends from England over and maybe some from the US as well. Eyeries is lovely, but Allihies, a short hop from there, stole my heart. Crookhaven and the Sheep's Head peninsula is breathtaking too. The South-west coast, driving up along the coast... Amazing. BEAUTIFUL countryside.

Ireland is the most amazing place, it's just... magical. And the people are so nice over there, curious and reserved, but once they've sussed you out they are awesome. I'd better stop, I can go on for hours about that place! Have you seen my castles and ruins thread on BYC? I'm a bit of a castle freak and I got my fix plenty times over there:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732027/castles-ruins-and-gatehouses-pic-heavy/0_30

That island is awesome, but with a son in school it's going to get tricky, especially when the weather's foul, which is about 75% of the time! Goodness, that place gets rain. 9 Days out of 10. I work online thankfully, but that brings with it another potential problem: internet. It's not guaranteed that I'll get a signal anywhere, so I'll have to try a few networks before I commit to buying something.

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh NOOOOO! My chosen agent went and done it: http://www.irishruralhomes.com/for-sale-tahillia/4565473432 It's an island... I love islands... It's 45 acres... it's a really, really bad idea! Someone please talk me out of this! :bow

Oh, this looks like crazy fun! When I was younger I always wanted a place up in Alaska or Canada so isolated that you could only get there by small boat. I look back and am grateful that never happened....the isolation of this place is crazy enough! At least I can drive here however...no boat needed! (although sometimes a dog sled might be of assistance during those deep winter snowed in snows! :gig)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh Sumi, what decisions you have to make, i like the house and 7 acres and you're right a scrub brush and some paint could put a lot of what ails it to right but the property is shaped odd. but the island is magical..... so does common sense prevail or does magic have its way?? if i were a few years younger I'd go help you on the island but with a son in school i can see where it could cause lots of headaches. decisions, decisions

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, so I looked up Ireland and did a brief study. Ireland's summer days are equal to our winter days! :ep No heat loving, long day vegetables for you! But winters don't look to be that extreme. Green, green, green and rocky. Beautiful country.

Are you from Ireland? And how in the world did you wind up in South Africa? I have to confess, when I read your posts and you refer to SA, my mind goes to San Antonio, Texas... :lol: