Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@goatgurl Well said! Will common sense or magic win? I think at the end of the day I will have to be practical and think and buy with my head, not my heart. The island is absolutely amazing, but having no access to land except via boat is going to be problem soon, especially when the weather's bad. That side of the country gets extremely windy and out on sea is not a place you'd want to be when that happens.

@baymule I've spoken to an Irish member on BYC who told me their summers are getting hot now, with temperatures in the high 80's to low 90's not unheard of. I haven't looked at it recently, but anything under 100 will do for me. I do not like heat. Winter was mild when we were there, though not by irish standards. They told us it was the worst winter in years and we had barely an inch of snow. I still smile when I remember people's response when we asked about the possibility of snow. All of them said exactly the same thing: "It never snows here! But it did 2 years ago." 2 Weeks after we had a good snow fall I asked someone about the possibility of more and he also used that line. I just burst out laughing!

I'm from SA and DH is English. We found the Brits will take refugees from anywhere, but make it near impossible for their own to live there with foreign spouses, so I looked into Ireland and found all we had to do was get on a plane and go visit the emigration official at the nearest big police station asap on arrival, to let them know we're there and would like to stay. Didn't cost us a cent either, as apposed to British emigration.

Ireland felt more like "home" to me than SA does and I cannot wait to get back there.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sounds like snow in Arkansas. 2 flakes and everyone is on high alert, 3 flakes and everything in the grocery store is bought out and 4 flakes everything is shut down. i was born and raised here but lived for 15 years in West Virginia where they truly know the meaning of snow and no one panics. i have to admit we have more ice than snow and that is a lot harder to manage.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's not quite that bad here, but normally you get an inch and everyone panics. They buy up all the milk, bread and eggs first. I make my own bread and have my own eggs. I just need to get to where I can have my own milk. :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've taught myself to be willing to use powdered or canned milk if I run out of fresh. It's fine for cooking, and you can even make cheese with it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SA.....still read it as San Antonio..... :lol: It's that easy to move to Ireland? And friendly too? No wonder you want to go back! Hope you sell your house and can move soon!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When it snows here it makes all the national papers and gets at least 5 minutes on the 07:00pm TV news. And everyone within commuting distance jumps in their cars and drives out there to go look at it. We have very mild winters compared to the States and Europe. Downside is we get very hot summers too...

baymule, it is that simple. For Britain (DH is a Brit) we need to earn the equivalent of GBP2000.00 pm for 6 months for starters, take a "citizen test", pass a vigorous interview process, PROVE that we've been living together for a few years, get all sorts of weird and wonderful (unnecessary) documents like vault copies of birth certificates from Home Affairs, fork out around $5,000 and that's just for the visas... Once you get there the hassle continues for another 2-3 years. For Ireland, we didn't need visas to enter, applying for our PPS numbers (similar to Social Security) took about 10 minutes and no questions asked, another 10 minutes at the Garda (Police) and we got our cards and stamps and permission to remain for 1 year, renew after one year, enjoy your stay. The irony is, once we've stayed and worked in Ireland for 6 months we can move to the UK no problem... I think I'll pass ;)

Keep your fingers we'll get a buyer soon!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good luck with your plans, sumi! I hope it works out for you.

We just went through a move, trying to sell our place, while DH moved to a new state and tried to find a new place. It took us over 8 months, but God smiled down on us and we ended up with the home of our dreams. An old farmstead with all the outbuildings in decent shape and 25 acres.

Dreams do come true!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you @wyoDreamer! And welcome to the forum! :) I hope I'll be lucky and find my dream home too. When the time is right, I'll just know when I see it, but in the meantime I'm having loads of fun window shopping! As you can see ;) We've postponed our departure already and now with this place needing to sell :fl Everything happens for a reason and God's time is not our time. That said we had another viewing today, so hopefully this week will be the week when things start happening?

You place sounds wonderful! What are you guys planning to do there?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi it's that easy here too! :weee Skip applying for a visa, skip the years of waiting to be reunited with your family members that are already here, skip all that phooey stuff. :ya Just go to Mexico and walk across the border and wait for border patrol to pick you up. :clap Or, carry lots of water (desert) and disappear into a city. :celebrate There is a farmers market in Houston where one can buy a drivers license and social security card. :thumbsup Then to make it even better, once you're here, we'll sign you up for food stamps, free medical care and government housing. :bow

:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he:he

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Right now, we are working to get the house ready for winter. New livingroom furniture, new windows, a pellet stove and a vent for the bathroom. We need to get the woodshop set up so we can actually do the work that needs to be done.

The neighbor made hay from our hayfield and is storing it in our barn. In exchange, he mowed our pastures for us so they don't go to crap before we are ready for animals.

I am thinking chickens, guinea hens, and rabbits to start. I am thinking maybe a cow for beef calves and a small amount of milk for our use. I have been looking into a Dexter or Devon as a breed. I like the smaller size and reputation for quality on grass

Last edited: