Easier and cheaper way of getting washing soda!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, so I think most of us know that you can bake baking soda at 500F for an hour to turn it into washing soda, right? Well, you can also put small amounts in the microwave for ten seconds! How freaking easy is that? And, the washing soda apparantly can be used like epsom salts... Relaxation for tight muscles (and people swear it's like a miracle), cheap laundry cleaner, what the heck else can you do with the stuff?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's pretty much a safe all purpose cleaner. I use it for lots of things, floors, bathroom, countertops etc.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great tip Bettacreek! I think I'll try it today; just used the last of my washing soda!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no kidding! I have to admit that I love that microwave of mine! I use it all the time. I think I'll give it a go the next time I make laundry soap. You wouldn't think that 10 seconds would do anything.

Thanks for posting.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Oh no kidding! I have to admit that I love that microwave of mine! I use it all the time. I think I'll give it a go the next time I make laundry soap. You wouldn't think that 10 seconds would do anything.

Thanks for posting.
I know, right? Ten seconds doesn't sound like much. I might try it for longer periods just to be sure, lol.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Another thing I can add to my shop! Thanks so much!
If using like epsom salt, use caution, I haven't done the research on it, just found some people talking about how well it works. :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I keep hearing different temps to bake the baking soda at. 250 and 500 and so on. Just how accurate is this process? (I wouldn't get near the microwave with the stuff. I'm still leery of using it for food.)
I've even seen it as low as 150F. It is accurate, chemically speaking, but I'm not sure exactly what temp it's gotta be. Sodium bicarbonate releases CO2 to turn back into sodium carbonate. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is made when they harvest sodium carbonate and then add CO2 to it to make it into sodium bicarbonate.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I did it, very cool. I think I did a lower temp. I could tell right away when it was "done". Definitely be careful with dust and breathing it after baking. You'll be able to see, feel and smell when it is done.

I'm not sure if microwave works if there is no moisture in the baking soda?