Easier and cheaper way of getting washing soda!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I keep hearing different temps to bake the baking soda at. 250 and 500 and so on. Just how accurate is this process? (I wouldn't get near the microwave with the stuff. I'm still leery of using it for food.)
Well it isn't magic, Like most chemical reactions they go faster at higher temperatures. According to Wikipedia it is slow at 160F but fairly rapid at 400F. Frankly I don't think the microwave will do much at first since it only heats certain molecule types (like water and fats) since one of the things driven off during the reaction Sodium Bicarbonate>>Heat>>>Sodium Carbonate is water the microwave could be used to dry the material after the reaction had started (but a oven at 400-500F would do the same thing) frankly if you look at all your costs it would be cheaper to buy the washing soda in the first place since baking soda is much more expensive and that amount of heat is not free either. Now would be a good time to check swimming pool supply houses since most won't want to carry a supply over the winter (it is used to adjust the pH of the pool water to make the chlorine work better.~gd

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Ok, so I think most of us know that you can bake baking soda at 500F for an hour to turn it into washing soda, right? Well, you can also put small amounts in the microwave for ten seconds! How freaking easy is that? And, the washing soda apparantly can be used like epsom salts... Relaxation for tight muscles (and people swear it's like a miracle), cheap laundry cleaner, what the heck else can you do with the stuff?
Your bakingsoda in US, is it made of what we call natriumklorid? (bicarbonate?)

Anyway, i think it's a new thing that we don't know in sweden!

Im gonna tell "my folks" right now!

:D

In sweden it's very popular among "selfsufficientgroups" to use washingnuts. (tvttntter in swedish).

But they don't work so good.. :)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How much do you use of the bakingsoda when you do your laundry?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your bakingsoda in US, is it made of what we call natriumklorid? (bicarbonate?)
Yes, baking soda is bicarbonate of soda. Used as a leavening agent in some baking, especially when the liquid in the recipe is sour - like when you use sour milk, or buttermilk, or yogurt. Are you familiar with Irish soda bread? This is made with buttermilk and baking soda (and flour and salt of course :lol:).
Washing soda, on the other hand, is sodium carbonate, and is an ingredient in laundry soaps.

:welcome I loved my one short trip to Sweden, and hope to visit again someday.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okey, thanks!

:)

You are welcome!

It's a nice country, as you know.

Just give me a pm or call before and i can give you a real nice tour out in the swedish wildernees!! :)

/Neiklot

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neiklot said:
In sweden it's very popular among "selfsufficientgroups" to use washingnuts. (tvttntter in swedish).

But they don't work so good.. :)
Washingnuts???...(now I'm off to google washingnuts)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can definately microwave your baking soda to make washing soda, HOWEVER, you can't just toss it in for ten seconds and hope for the best. Take some of the water from your end product (some of the water you plan on putting into your laundry detergent) and moisten your baking soda, THEN microwave. I don't know about the whole ten seconds thing, because I tossed it in for two minutes. It worked!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
You can definately microwave your baking soda to make washing soda, HOWEVER, you can't just toss it in for ten seconds and hope for the best. Take some of the water from your end product (some of the water you plan on putting into your laundry detergent) and moisten your baking soda, THEN microwave. I don't know about the whole ten seconds thing, because I tossed it in for two minutes. It worked!
How can you tell?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because basically by theory, I know it worked. To make baking soda, they add carbon to Sodium Carbonate. To convert it back to Sodium Carbonate, you need to release one carbon molecule, which is done by heating. This heat treating and releasing of carbon releases gas. When you add water to turn your sodium bicarbonate into a paste and microwave it, it releases bubbles (Carbon). Now, I haven't broken it down to check the molecular compound after treatment, but, based on the release of gas and knowing how it all works, I know that I've "created" Sodium Carbonate.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not doubting you, please don't think that. I'm not a chemist, just a cook. But doesn't baking soda release bubbles just in the act of being wetted?