FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Winter Storm Warning starting Tuesday night 6-8 inches of snow. I'm not too worried about it. Typical for Ohio this time of year. Fun watching the drummed up panic, though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's normally in the beginning of February that we get the worst of our snow. But once Valentine's Day is past, we're pretty much done w/it. So I'm hoping we're about done w/it all! At least for tomorrow they're only calling for rain.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man.... I'm (almost) never gonna complain about our weather again. I absolutely LOVE that we're getting (just) rain today! Ya'lls weather should make me appreciate mine more!

naturegirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Am I glad that I will never have to cope with snow! Instead I have to cope with huge amounts of rain! On the 18th of November last year we had to deal with over 90 mls of rain in one night, and the next morning the river below our farm came up to about 20 feet away from the cottage, our bedroom got flooded, my car was sitting past it hubcaps in fast flowing water that was gushing over the walls of our dam due to a stream overflowing its banks and flooding into our dam. The little valley where our little farm is situated has three seasonal rivers flowing, (not counting all the little streams!) and after that episode we were stuck on the farm for over 5 days before we were eventually able to cross the ford and get back to civilisation! Even the big farmers in the area were saying that they have never had so much rain in living memory, and it happened all again the first week of January. Luckily this time my seaman was with me, and got first hand experience himself of just how much water comes down the stream and the river. On Wednesday at 11 pm the dam burst its banks again, and we had to wade out into the water to try and rescue a small jersey bull calf that our farm worker is handraising. My husband lost his footing in the flood, (we were knee deep!) and disappeared over the fence! All I saw were two legs and an arm waving the torch in the air! We were able to save the calf, after I managed to find my seaman in the dark. What a nightmare! At least we now know that we will have to build the main farm house away from dam and the stream, and to prevent the cottages from being flooded again, we have to raise the dam walls, dig a big ditch below the dam, and on the other side of the ditch, build a thick stone wall. That is going to be pretty pricey!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you were able to save the calf and that your seaman was OK as well!

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
@naturegirl that flood sounds terrible. Glad that everything's okay now

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh man.... I'm (almost) never gonna complain about our weather again. I absolutely LOVE that we're getting (just) rain today! Ya'lls weather should make me appreciate mine more!
sub zero temps tonight (-2 degrees F). My area was spared the ice that hit an hour or so to the south. More snow predicted for over the weekend and throughout next week. Temps are running 20 degrees below average right now. Should be hard on the pest grubs....I hope...

Latest posts