Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
With the growing popularity of backyard chickens, there is probably a need at MOST feed stores and such for educated animal people. I could see myself doing something like this, before I lost my hearing. I like helping people take better care of their animals.

I sure wish there were "chicken" people in the store when I was buying my first chickens!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All of you American Livestock Breeds Conservancy members out there who are near a TSC take a copy of the current poultry conservation list in and share it with the staff, especially those who are working with the poultry. ALBC and TSC are working together this year with TSC featuring conservation/heritage breeds each week. I have found not only do TSC employees know little about poultry breeds they have even less experience with the conservation/heritage breeds so if you can help them learn every one will benefit TSC...customers...chickens.:thumbsup

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, this year they had cornish x, EEs, production reds, and of all things....jersey giants??? WTF, I can just imagine someone getting a bunch of jersey giants and end up with these huge birds that they know nothing about.

I can also see them getting cornish x birds expecting egg layers and getting freak of nature chickens....geesh.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah our TSC has cornishx. When I told them they generally start having heart attacks and such between 8-12 weeks of age, the employee was totally caught off guard... "why would anyone want them, then?"

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, try explaining what a little freak that cute little fuzzball will turn into to a small child that just wants a little chicky...sheesh. Then when you tell them that those are "eating chickens" some of the parents are just over the top dramatic about it. Where do they think that pretty little pack of chicken breasts they buy in the store comes from?

Some people are just amazed when I tell them that my children helped with the processing of our chickens last year.....the horror that I am exposing my children to.....oh the drama :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Yeah, try explaining what a little freak that cute little fuzzball will turn into to a small child that just wants a little chicky...sheesh. Then when you tell them that those are "eating chickens" some of the parents are just over the top dramatic about it. Where do they think that pretty little pack of chicken breasts they buy in the store comes from?

Some people are just amazed when I tell them that my children helped with the processing of our chickens last year.....the horror that I am exposing my children to.....oh the drama :lol:
I have had the same reaction from people. Where do they think the meat from the grocery store comes from? Little pork chops and chicken wings and hamburger patties just magically appear, those aren't ANIMALS, are they?

Our younger son enjoys helping with the animals and this includes the processing. I had someone express concern that he "likes that part"....I felt like telling her, thank goodness someone LIKES processing animals or else you would be a reluctant vegan (she is not). And who knows how humanely the animals were treated whose meat we buy in the store? I think we are teaching our children some very valuable lessons. My daughter is appalled we plan to eat bunny and this last example was the one that won her over.