Firearms for the Homestead

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think that Homesteaders should have a good selection of common, reliable weaponry.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Shotguns are impressive home protection...even if you are a poor shot, you are gonna hit somethin' with a shotgun. Not much room for error at close range.
I agree, I bought the longest dang shotgun. 12 gauge. Man I love that thing. People look at you funny when you say momma wants a new shotgun. Makes the best noise when you are getting ready to fire. Its sounds distinctly like something to run from. Mine is mostly for predators. I got one with a choke on it. I figure big( 2 legged) or little predators i can probably take them out with it.

We have the 22, something high powered and the shotgun at present. We just had this discussion and automatic's came into the conversation as did handguns.

I do agree though. stocking up bullets gets a bit much with more than 3. Right now its right where i can handle it. I order stuff in for him before he even knows he was low on it. If it got to be more complicated I'm not sure how easy it would be to A) keep up with it all B) Store a proper stock of ammo for each.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I was unarmed and wanted firearms Id start with a 12 gauge with both a smooth barrel and a rifled barrel. Many times you can get a package deal and get both barrels when you buy the gun. Much cheaper than buying them separately. The smooth barrel is good for small game, birds (both waterfowl and upland birds), and home defense. The rifled barrel with sabot slugs will give you increased range (especially with the new rounds they are coming out with I know the Hornaday SST your looking at a flat trajectory at 150 yards which is plenty far enough for most hunting situations with open sights on your slug barrel.

Plus lots of places sell 12 gauge ammo. Its easy to find, and a variety of pellet sizes will cover you in most situations. Its nice to have a point and pull kind of gun

Id also get a revolver. Less moving parts, easy to clean, reliable, and come in a lot of different calibers. Good for close quarters, and a good back up to your 12 gauge.

Id also look at getting a .22 which is another great caliber for the homestead as many have already outlined.

That's what Id have as a foundation/at a minimum

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Smart people never discuss their armament.

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Is exactly why I put

If I was unarmed and wanted firearms Id start with
The key word being if. I was just outlining where Id guide someone if they asked. The rest is up to you, but I feel those are essentials. I'm with Barred on this one, its just brainstorming session.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Really smart people don't fear dying or the loss of their armament...it's a temporary setback in a mere blip of existence on this planet. ;)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone suggest a good bow for a smaller sized woman with no upper arm strength?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That would have to be a compound bow but you'll have to try some out to see what poundage you can draw. I suggest you go to a sporting goods store and try out some of the bows and find out your draw length and such.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ninny said:
Anyone suggest a good bow for a smaller sized woman with no upper arm strength?
Go to a dealer that has a range in their store. They are very helpful and will easily measure your draw length and determine you're pull strength. Bow shooting is a lot of fun and a great way to get some sunshine, exercise, and fresh air during the winter months. But I have to caution you - bows are very expensive. I think the price of archery equipment has tripled over the past ten years. But, on the other hand, the equipment is very sophisticated and hi-tech these days. I'm amazed at the tiny lightweight bows that pack more punch than my old heavy equipment.