Flour sack material???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know what would be a good substitute for the material in a REAL flour sack, the old-fashioned cloth type? I've never seen one in person, but I got a very old flour mill that I am anxious to use and it blows the flour out of a tube....I don't really want my entire kitchen coated with flour! The unit was designed to have a cloth flour sack secured to the tube so it would fill as it grinds.

A plastic bag does not work. The air needs to flow, so cloth is a necessity.

I was thinking of picking up a couple of high-thread-count pillowcases at the discount store down the road...maybe 400 or 600....but if anyone has any specific advise that would save me some time and experimenting....and cleaning and dusting....I'd appreciate it!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If it were me I would just use an old cleanish pillowcase from the rag bag, or (since all my old pillowcases are actually rather non-food-contact type grungy) cut a piece out of an old sheet or shirt and sew it to shape.

If you want to buy something new, try a good-quality muslin or the kind of cotton sheeting meant for quilt backs. Even a Joannes will have something of that ilk.

I would actually doubt that you want a very high thread-count, as that will impede air mvmt and be more like plastic. You may have to experiment.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would use some unbleached muslin, as Pat suggested. And yes, Joanne's should have it; that's where I get mine.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have some very large flour sack towels. I buy them from our #^%@ Club store in 12 packs.They are plain white. I'd be happy to send you one for the cost of postage. You would probably need to fold it and sew down the sides to make a sack. I think the dimensions are 18x36. I could send 2 if you need.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I will try the muslin today, since I have some, and if it doesn't work, I will PM you my address. So sweet!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How'd it work?

Somebody was telling me (and think it was on here somewhere actually in reference to using it as cheesecloth/straining) that you can get flour sack material at Wal-Mart/fabric stores. I haven't checked this out yet (need $), but I'm very definitely want to!

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is a specific fabric they make for feather pillows, it is a tight woven cotton, that should probably work. The pillow ticking is a heavier fabric and tighter weave than most pillow case fabric.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was at my grocery yesterday and I almost bought flour in a flour sack. It's sold with a 1/2 Spanish label. :idunno I look at that fabric thinking aww how cute. They have pink flowers blue flowers and different patterns. I wish it was whole wheat, then I might buy it.

g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used a bit of muslin that I had in my stash and held it onto the pipe with a rubber band. I made a bunch of flour last week and it is fantastic! It is much finer than the stuff I was making with my VitaMix....which was also wonderful.

I've only made pie crust so far, but it rolls out like white flour pie crust and tastes so good I can hardly stand it! Bread next.