Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I sleep till 7, I look at the clock, others are running in the rat race, but I'm not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and i hope his one-time-bad-habit of falling over dead...
Thank goodness - not! But, that summer was a VERY hot summer. I remember temps over 105 and I think we hit 107 that summer.

Had to look up the temps that summer and yep:

June - 107 degrees

The record high temperature in June in Houston is 107 degrees. That record hottest temperature occurred on June 29, 2013.

That was a very bad year... I remember coming home from work every day at lunch to give the animals fresh (cooler) water.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry. I'm sure they are heartbroken over the loss of their dog. I would be! Hope the offending animals are found and owners pay for losses. It will never heal you heart but, they deserve to be financially made whole.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The area where I was working:
BF24C2F5-B19E-4391-9952-B7347ED6CD58.jpeg

I thought all that stuff was dead. Who knew it could still attack me?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! So far the temp is holding steady. Fingers crossed that I have fertile eggs.

I'm having a definite crisis of the skin - argh! I've tried every poison ivy remedy that I could find. I've used dawn dishwashing soap, Clorox, cider vinegar, cortisone cream, Benadryl, Benadryl based creams, tea, tea bags.... Last night around 3:15 I woke up clawing my neck and chin. Came downstairs and went outside and plucked an aloe vera leaf and used that. It helps probably more than anything I'd used up to that time. Also, Motrin seems to help relieve the inflammation more than Benadryl. Now I'm working on a concoction of coconut oil and tea tree oil. DH - the consummate nurse - is imploring me to go to Urgent Care and get a steroid shot. I'm not giving in - yet. Hot showers - seems counterintuitive to me - but hot showers (while uncomfortable at the time) seem to help the itching for awhile. I can't believe my poor son who is ultra sensitive to the poison plants has lived with outbreaks like this all his life.

Oh well - gotta buck up and get something accomplished. I'm still working on getting a bunch of lemon juice canned. Guess I'd better get to it.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't believe my poor son who is ultra sensitive to the poison plants has lived with outbreaks like this all his life.

Oh well - gotta buck up and get something accomplished. I'm still working on getting a bunch of lemon juice canned. Guess I'd better get to it.

it's tough to get through for a few weeks. the problem is that you can't see the oil on your skin so you can't know where it is and then it gets spread around to other things too like the handles of tools or door knobs or ...

when Mom gets a start of it we make sure that we wipe down everything she's been using and scrubs down with naptha soap.

some times she has gone to the ready med for some prednisone prescription to help with the itching. none of the anti-itch creams do that great. the light hydrocortizone creams help for me but i have to put them on often until they seem to kick in.

the best defense and treatment overall is to learn how to spot them and avoid them as much as possible. if you do have to handle them i wrap the plant in newspaper before pulling and put it straight into the bottom of the trash bag. all clothes get washed. also notice what you are walking on as you can spread things via the bottoms of shoes, walk on a plant, walk on the grass, a few days later come back through with different shoes, take the shoes off with bare hands and then several days later wonder where you got it from... that's happened here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I raised quail many moons ago...… the eggs were great fried. I cracked the eggs into a measuring cup, then poured in a skillet to fry. There was an egg yolk in every bite.

That was a great game! A real nail biter at the end on overtime!

Aloe vera gel with lidocaine would probably kill the itch. Find it in the sunburn department. It sure works for bug bites!