Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hope MRI shows good things!

Wherever you posted about those 1/2 gal jars....I went to WM site hoping for some. Nope $47. 😲😬😱. I'll just treasure what I have! WOW! CRAZY!
Walmartdotcom has tons of 3rd party sellers that jack prices way-way up. It's hard to sort them out. I've seen 1/2 gallon jars at normal prices in my area. I hope you have better luck finding them! They should be about $15 for 6 jars.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Depending on what you are canning, wide mouths are preferable here and worth the extra cost. Pickle spears, peaches, etc are easier to mess with using wide mouths.

i've never seen half gallon regular mouth canning jars. and yes i know it can help to have that space to work with. for us we're past the complicated stages of canning where we primarily do tomato chunks and tomato juice and both of those go easier on me when they're regular canning jars.

@frustratedearthmother

Stores are out of quarts and larger here. I helped with that this weekend. 😀

ha!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Truth! When we had our talk today I asked him if he realizes the reason I keep animals and do gardening. It 'forces' me to be outside and be active. If not, I'd sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day, lol.

I may _itch about it in the heat of summer and the cold of winter - but I can't imagine not doing any of it.

2hrs in the morning is plenty this time of the year. when the weather cooperaties.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of muzzle training for every dog.

we've never had a dog that bites or even growls. my sister had two siblings that fought a lot and she eventually had to have one put down because they bit her badly when she tried to stop them fighting. i didn't like them because they were so touchy to be around, they'd get jealous over minor things and start trouble. i was like, the heck with this i don't need this kind of stress.

when the dogs were young and before she got them they were not treated well and were abused. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a bit over an inch Thu/Fri. Grass is loving it! Raining right now. Baby shower, but more to come!

glad you are picking up some rains at last. yesterday's storms up here landed us over 5 inches in the rain gauges - which has all soaked in already and it just started raining again, but i don't think this is going to be anything like yesterday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am declaring war.

I'm guilty of not paying a lot of attention to how many chickens I have. I just have a whole bunch of free ranging chickens. Sometimes they stay out at the big goat barn, sometimes they stay in the small buck barn and sometimes they stay under a shed. So, a couple days ago I start wondering where all my chickens are and I went on a hunt. Yesterday I was absolutely sure I'm losing chickens. And, last night I lost a duck. So, this is war.

I'm fairly certain I'm dealing with a bobcat. There are plentiful in this area. Whatever is preying on my birds is not killing and eating here which would be more indicative of a smaller predator. Last night something carried of a duck, a big duck. Had to jump into a pen that has 8 ft fencing around it and then it jumped back out carrying a heavy duck. That says cat to me.
The LGD's can't access that area - but tonight that will change. I hate to pit a dog against a cat predator - but a 40lb bobcat would be really stupid to challenge a 120+ lb dog. If it turns out to be a smaller predator - yay! Problem over. If it is a cat - let's hope it's a smart one and starts looking for an easier meal somewhere else.

It's been years since I've had major predator problems, but my neighbors... sigh. My neighbors are old - older than DH and me so they're not doing much yard work, lol. They are also big birders and have totally let their entire acreage grow up with whatever wants to grow. They call it their "bird sanctuary." It brings all manner of vermin and predators to my area. It hasn't been that long since I dispatched a huge possum that was taking eggs and chicks.

So, war it is...:mad:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So glad to hear he likes it!

Yep - I'm checking weights and it's an important factor specifically because I don't want to have to trailer it. Just something else to have to maintain. I've found a 10.5 foot that weighs about 60 lbs. I have certain criteria that I'm not negotiable on and haven't found THE one yet (at least not within my desired budget) I'm in no rush. I'm definitely waiting for my son to decide if fishing is a fad for him or a passion, lol.

go for the tube/float wader type where you can just float up to where you want to get to. simple. not too expensive.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
perhaps too late, but if you have a main valve that works why put in another one instead of just replacing this borked stuff with a straight pipe?