FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Me too.

Thursday night. 18F
Friday night. 12F
Christmas Eve. 18F
Christmas night. 22F

I’m getting granddaughters today. I’ll leave Christmas Eve, spend night at sister’s house in Conroe and come home Christmas evening. 2 ewes are heavy bred, one is bagging up. She is 8 years old, experienced mom. I’ll turn off water, drain pipes, draw up water in house.

I’ll feed good before I leave. A neighbor has offered to feed, think I’ll take him up on that. I can leave out dog pans with kibble and canned dog food. And I can pre measure out horse and sheep feed. It would make me feel a whole lot better to have someone check on the animals mid day. I don’t want to be gone, but granddaughters, family stuff…… I’ll be worried about my animals until I get home.
No generator. Power goes out frequently. I plan on being miserable.
We are driving south into that mess Thursday as we head to Mississippi. Not looking forward to it

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I’m all caught up now. So much happens in a week! I have a registered ewe, bred to Ringo, due yesterday. I have informed her that we only have twins here. She was sold because her first and second lambing’s were singles. I want a registered son from Ringo and he’s an old man, time is getting short! LOL Maybe there will be twins out there this morning. Maybe she will just still be FAT!
🤞

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Disbudded 3 little doelings today. There is NOTHING I hate more than disbudding. But it's done. Two more to do in a couple days. I'm not doing a whole bunch of bucklings. Horns will make sure that I sell them, lol. Still have 4 births to go.

how are you doing on the doe to buck counts? happy with the results?

Moved some of the hay from the last round bale up to the garden. Heavy mulching is in order.

I'm tired. Woke up at 3:30 this morning. Went all day and about to have dinner. Probably fall asleep while eating lol!

face down in soup is not a Tai Chi posture or proper resting position. like i've said before, sometimes being inside is as dangerous to us as being outside. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Could you rake up the clover and give it to the goats?

Battle of the wills……. You WILL get on that stand and you WILL give me milk!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
By the time I run over it with the mower it will be shredded up into itsy bitsy pieces. Great mulch for the yard!

I definitely will win the battle of wills, lol. I think she started to get the message yesterday when I tied up a back foot. Guess what, you can't kick me or the milk bucket when you're standing on 3 legs - even though she tried mightily!

setting a bad example and getting everyone else riled up in the process too.

perhaps a treat would help? i got a treat this morning, it sure helped me (a piece of dried candied ginger :) ).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is always a bowl with feed in it in front of her on the milkstand. She will fight in between bites, lol. She's good at multi-tasking - kicking and chewing and chewing and kicking come natural to her, lol!

try some peanut butter next time... so busy trying to figure out how to lick it off the roof of their mouth that they'll forget to fidget... no idea if peanut butter is good for them or not...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do/did love my pigs. But, it's time and I need the pen space. Butchering a 300 lb pig isn't for the faint of heart. I can do it - and have done it - but I'll concentrate on my goats in the future.
Right now however, is time to concentrate on the garden. Whoop! I'm ready to start planting. Weather guys better not be wrong, lol.

don't forget the beans! :)