Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
@hqueen13 Check CL for eggs or even adult birds. I've seen them for sale on our CL, even saw them advertised in TSC.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't sold eggs other than locally. Right now I'm only getting a few eggs a day. CL is a good place to look, as well as eBay.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to do some digging and see what I find. I haven't ever seen them listed on CL here. I wonder if that's because no one has tapped the market or there is no market....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can't find any I'll probably have some extra in a couple months - IF I get some of these eggs to hatch, and IF I can keep them alive for six weeks, and IF I get enough light on 'em so they actually do start laying...lol. My brother got some off of ebay awhile back, so that might be a better source. If not - maybe put an ad on CL asking for eggs - might be somebody out there who has 'em and never thought about selling any.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo hoo - playing hookey today! Actually took a vacation day just to stay home and enjoy this nice weather and get some things done. It's been really cool most of the week. It will be warmer today than the last few but still pretty enough to get some things accomplished outside. I've gotten two raised beds planted with various things. For the first time I've planted broccoli rabe. Hope it does well, and even more, hope we like it, lol. I'm still working on the little garden. If things go well I'll get broccoli and cabbage in there today.

I had a brain fart last night and let Sparkle out to the pasture. She's the goat who nearly died before our vacation because she had her head stuck in the fence for a couple of days. So, after about an hour of enjoying her freedom, she promptly stuck her head through the fence and got stuck again. ARGH! Reinforces my determination to get the big ol' scur off of her head. It's about 3 inches long and is very loose, and I would've thought it would come off in her struggles to free her head from the fence - but nope. No such luck.

I need to get a lil buck banded this weekend. DH can't help yet because of his injuries, so I'm going to ask one of my neighbors to hold him for me. Hopefully, that will work out - if not I'm wondering if I can get him on the milk stand and do it myself. Not so crazy about that idea though...would hate to mess that up, lol.

I need to put my hard-hearted hat on and start dispatching some roosters around here. I'm not so fond of butchering older roos, but I expect they'll make great stock. Might wait until some of the little ones grow up enough to include them in the butchering party. I hate to fire up the dunking pot for just a couple of birds.

Guess I'm not going to get anything done sitting here on my behind....gotta get after it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Butchering birds is my least favorite part of having chickens.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got to learn to do that and I'm not real thrilled about it.... lol
Yay for a day of hookie!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dontcha just love weekends? Especially the 3-day kind. I got a few things done yesterday. Finally got a nice area cleaned up and spread wet newspaper before I planted cabbage and broccoli. Thursday evening I filled one of the raised beds with some salad fixin's like lettuce and carrots for a start. I think I put in some spinach and I know I put in some broccoli rabe and a few other things.

I finally broke down and had to order some seeds for Chinese cabbage. I neeeeeed some kimchee and can't make it without the right kind of cabbage. Hmmmm...at least I don't think you can. That might bear investigating. And, until my seeds come in and magically turn into big ol' cabbages I bought a head of Napa cabbage today. Maybe find some time tomorrow to whip out a batch of pure spicy deliciousness.

I was in a cooking mood today so I tried a flourless recipe for bread. It called for coconut flour, eggs and ground flaxseed along with some chopped rosemary. It turned out pretty tasty even though it's nowhere near real wheat bread. But - only about 5 carbs per serving - so we're not complaining. AND - drumroll - during a walkthrough of the summer garden turned buck pen I discovered that my goats do not like basil. Stoopid goats, lol! I whipped that up into a purely lip-smacking batch of pesto that goes GREAT on the bread like concoction.

Plan for tomorrow is to work some more in the little garden and see what else I can get going. I want to plant some different mixed lettuces and maybe some radishes too. I'm hoping to get some more eggplant, but my guess is that it's going to get too cool for them soon despite being covered with blooms. I've picked a few, but certainly not an overabundance. Still hoping. :fl

Critters are all hanging in there. Baby chickens are growing, all the goat girls are in heat and all the goat boys are going a little bit nutso.... what else is new?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nuttin' but keepin' on around here, FJ! So good to see you - drop by more often, stranger!

I hope the rest of ya'll are having the kinda day we're having here. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Low humidity, fair temperatures, clear blue skies. The kinda day that makes you remember to be thankful for so many things.

Got one chore out of the way this morning that I've been meaning to get to for awhile. Proud to say that my asparagus bed has been duly weeded, has some well aged manure spread on it and topped off with some weedless (I hope) hay for mulch. Next spring I'll call my bed mature and will start harvesting - really harvesting - instead of just sneaking a stalk or two. I'm soooooo looking forward to it.

Decided to give the new tractor a really tough test. I started mowing some of the really thick, really tall stuff out in the pasture. It literally was so tall I couldn't see goats that were walking through it. Probably at least 4+ feet and just horrendously tough to cut. Little tractor did a pretty good job - bogged down a little bit in the thickest of it - but for the most part did admirably. I'm relieved. I always worry a little it when I buy something pre-owned and pre-used...but so far so good. AND, the tire that I plugged last weekend is still holding air. Whew....

Well, finished my sandwich so guess I should get back to it. Can't waste a minute of this bee-you-teeeee-ful day!