Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I learned about that one by trial and error - just can't imagine doing that for years!! Grrrr!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's my 'friday' today!

Shoulder is better, but not 100% yet. My appt. with the ortho guy got moved up to Tuesday instead of Wednesday, but if I keep feeling better I might just cancel it.

Had another little goat get a bad cut. Again, have NO idea what could have happened to her. She was in a totally different area than the buckling that got cut a couple weeks ago. I found her Wednesday evening - of course after the vet clinic was closed. I didn't want to leave it gaping open all night and I my vet couldn't see her until the next morning so I improvised! I got a tetanus antitoxin shot, some penicillin and some Krazy Glue and I glued that little doeling back together, lol. It looked so good that I didn't take her to the clinic the next day. She looks great, eats well and runs away from me every time she sees me coming so I think she's gonna be fine. I'm going to keep her on antibiotics for a few more days...justincase.

Garden is churning out peppers on a daily basis. A few squash trickling in and a couple tomatoes and some really nice cucumbers. I planted some eggplant seeds the other day and noticed that some of them are popping through. Need to add another string for the "BUSH" beans to climb on. Somebody, somewhere packed the wrong seeds into the bush bean package, cuz what I've got growing out there are NOT bush beans! Oh well...

I've got a couple does with "uh-oh - how did that happen" breedings that will be due starting next week. Almost 5 months ago I came home from work and found alllll the bucks with allll the does. Thankfully ONLY two does appear to have been bred. One of them is Cocoa who I planned to breed this fall... 'uh-oh'. And the other is the 13 year old pygmy doe - again - 'uh-oh'. My biggest hope is that the pygmy is not bred to the Nubian buck and carrying a big single... that would not be a good thing. Even though I did have a pygmy doe deliver kids from a Kinder buck last year with no problems at all. Of course those kids were 3/4 pygmy with only 1/4 Nubian thrown in the mix. Made beautiful colorful babies!

Supposed to be a nice, but hot, weekend. I'll do as much gardening and goating that I can with this shoulder.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know why that girl is running away from you-- that krazyglue works real well for wounds, but it STINGS!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you've had some experience with that, Britesea! I tried to be really careful not to get it INTO the would. My goal was to just get it on the edge of the skin and hair and mostly I was successful - but - I know that at least once I must've gotten it onto more than hair cuz she cried and cried. But only once! Now I think she's running because she's still getting antibiotic shots! She's really doing well though - running and jumping and twisting. I am now a firm believer that this method works!

Got the garden watered this morning. Eggplants are popping through but they took a bit longer to germinate than I thought. So, in the meantime I started some more eggplants in starter pots. If things go well I'll have tons of eggplant! I'm going to plant some more squash and put in a couple hills of cantaloupes this weekend too. I found a volunteer okra plant in an unused chicken pen, so I'm thinking I'll put some more seeds in there too. I mean, why not? The pen is well fertilized for sure, lol.

Shoulder is still bothering me... X-ray was negative. I wonder, do arthritic changes show up on x-ray? I don't know these things! So, I'm thinking I'll keep the appointment with the ortho guy. Might need a cortisone shot or something. Probably just need to stop using it - but who can do that?

Going to go pick my mom up today and take her to lunch and shopping. Bless her heart - she called me yesterday and asked if I could 'take' dad for a week or so. For some reason she thought that because I work at a college that I didn't have to work in the summer, but I work year round so I can't really bring him home with me. And even worse, all my bedrooms and full baths are upstairs. DH and I have had this discussion about what we can do if we need to move one of our parents in.... and we haven't really come up with a great solution that won't involve a MAJOR remodel. :(

Mom lives over an hour away, so going there, shopping, lunch and getting home will take up most of my day. Guess I'd better get busy and try to get a couple things done this morning.

TGIF!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that arthritis WILL show on an xray, but they may not have had the xray positioned right to show it?

Taking care of the aging parents is a lot of work, but we owe it to them. Would a nice trailer work?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty convinced now that it's a soft tissue injury of some sort. It was doing better during the work week when I wasn't doing as much physical work. Saturday I spent most of the day in the garden again, and that night sure I regretted it. I have that ortho appointment on Tuesday so maybe he can tell me more. My DH has been to this guy before so I know his drill. He'll run a whole new batch of x-rays...

I had a pretty busy weekend though. I spent most of Friday with my folks. I thought that my mom and I were gonna have a day out - but dad wanted to go. I enjoy my dad's company so I was thrilled. The only problem is that he's soooo hard of hearing that it limits the ability to have a conversation in public. Just not cool to yell across the table at a crowded restaurant.

We've thought about a trailer in the back yard. What will be more likely is a remodel of the garage apartment and the installation of some sort of chair lift. I think that will be the best option, but for now it's great that my brother lives next door to my folks. He doesn't work, so he's been a life-saver for them. I'm over an hour away so I'm sort of the 'fill in the gap' person...

I got a few more things planted in the garden. I put in a couple hills of cantaloupe and some okra. Seems like there's more, but I can't remember. I did spend quite some time adding more support for my BUSH beans that are sending out gazillions of runners and I've now got two rows of horizontal support with bunches of vertical supports in between. It's going to be two solid walls of vines soon enough.... crazy!

Brought in the two does that are due to kid soon. I'm worried about the old gal...it was not MY plan for her to be bred again - but she and the buck had other ideas. She's huge! I sure hope she's got a lot of little babies in there and not one or two big ones. I'll breathe a big sigh of relief when her delivery is successful and over.

Back to work tomorrow...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm wondering what I'm going to do if my parents ever need someone living w/them. Right now, my dad is still pretty active, but he'll be 86 next month. My mom is going downhill, so I'm not sure how he'll cope w/that.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom tells me that dad won't let her out of his sight. He's becoming more and more dependent on her every day and it's driving her a little bit crazy...

My dad will be 87 in August.

I did a little research and found that they have a wonderful senior center in their hometown. Mom thinks that my brother can take them there and I heartily agree! He's a senior too so he might enjoy spending a little time there also, lol!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our senior center provides free lunches (although they are happy to accept donations) every weekday. I've gone there before and it's not a bad lunch. Your mother might appreciate not having to prepare a meal sometimes

Latest posts