Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to have to do something differently. Right now I'm ready to put about two dozen goats into the freezer, lol! That'll show 'em.

And this morning, as I was leaving to go to work I made the mistake of looking in the rear view mirror. Saw goats exiting the feed room.... :barnie Thankfully, the horses were not involved and all the lids were on the cans of feed but OMG! I had been letting one doe, who is feeling poorly, sleep in the feed room away from all the other goats. I kept a feeder full for her to munch on at her leisure. I guess I didn't shut the door completely when I was feeding this morning. You know a goat never misses an open gate or door and my goats are no exception. I'm sure my neighbors had a good chuckle watching me chasing goats around in my work clothes and heels! And if they were listening really hard they probably might have just heard me "re-name" a few of those evil critters who didn't want to go where I wanted them to.

Sooooo, happy Tuesday morning ya'll!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, goats are evil. But, they can also make you laugh, so maybe that makes up for it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BUCKS!!!!!! all are Houdinis, strong, strong, strong! Fences are a challenge that they love & usually win. Mine is just not going to be contained -- he says. Thankfully he is very tame because he is very big. Cattle panels just move over for him, I swear! Unless it's his nose, hot wire isn't even a total hold but, slows him down. Yes, I TIE my panels to the posts plus and nails.

Heels & mud -- :lol: -- loose goats -- airn't farming fun?:th

(Always happens on way to work, right?)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wanted to get a pic of the mystery squash.... anybody got any ideas?
mystery squash.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Doesn't look familiar, but squash are real tramps- they crossbreed with anything that says "Hey, baby!" I'm guessing since it was a volunteer that it's also a cross.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh nooooo, I planted it, lol. But, I don't remember what it is! Guess I'm gonna have to dig out all of my seed packs and then look it up and try to match a pic. Oh well... it'll be fun, right?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks to be an acorn type but, a big larger and less ribbing. I, too, believe it may be a crossbred. shame on you girl! Some of your winter buttercup types get large. You seem to have a really good growth in the background of some other edibles.

Just harvest & let us know what ya get.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The background growth is ALL THE SAME PLANT! It's huge. I found a seed packet that's labeled Buttercup Squash Blend... described as including several different varieties of buttercup squash. I looked up the pics and dang if I don't think that maybe that's it!

Looks fairly similar to me. I just hope it ripens before any frost. On second thought - I don't even know how to know when it's ripe, lol!
upload_2015-11-11_18-31-55.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Look at the picture again-- looks like it has arms & is trying to climb out:p Ahhhh, too much time on my hands. LOL

The vine end will wither some and pull away when it's ready. Winter squash are more like pumpkin in this respect that the summer squash. OK, I know you knew that -- just too much excitement with the unruly little beast!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HA, you're right, lol. Every time I look at this plant it reminds me of the Little Shop of Horrors. I swear I hear it whisper "FEED ME" every time I walk past it! :th

In other news, I put a gate on the side of a buck pen so I can access it easier. It was one of those situations where I had to go around another area to access that pen. I hope, hope, hope I made it buck proof! I hung the gate and then put two boards (one close to the bottom and one close to the top) so that the gate will only open to the inside...and if bucks push on the gate they will have to break the latch and push the boards out of the fence posts to get the gate open. Not saying that my stinkers can't do it though.. :( At this point they can't do much harm, I think they've already bred everything that moves out in the pasture. Maybe I should just let 'em all run together now... never done that before.

Had a scare last night. Woke up to DH moaning and covered with sweat. Dang, I can move fast when I need to. I flew down stairs and got his sugar fix. Got that in him and tested his blood sugar - it was 35! Geeze louise - only seen it lower than that once and he was hospitalized at the time. It went down to 20 that time. This is a scary disease, and I hate it.

He's doing much better today...he slept a lot, but has been helping me a little bit outside.

Better go finish up outside and check that gate.

Is it Friday yet?