Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe talk to his wife and see if you can find out what's going on.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to say this lest someone throw something at me....but....it is the most glorious day we've seen in months here! It is beautiful! The wind is non-existent, the sky is totally blue...not a cloud anywhere and the temp is in the high 50's. I have worked outside all day. I wormed a couple of does, coppered a few more of the does and ALL of the bucks. I put some fill into an area between two pens so the bucks can go back and forth without dragging their goobers in the mud, lol. I'm not even kidding - the little guys have dried mud on their goobers! That's got to be uncomfortable! :lol: The littlest things make me laugh....

I'm gonna wait a couple weeks and then start CDT for all the mama's to be. I don't think I have anyone due until the second week in March and then they might be spread all the way out until the first week or so of May. Yippee! At least that might give me enough time to get the babies disbudded. Actually, I kind of like it when they're close enough together that I can disbud a bunch of them at one time. I hate doing it - so I like to get it all over with at once. I won't be THAT lucky - but maybe just a couple of big disbudding sessions instead of dribbling it out over a long period of time.

I bought a ham last weekend for 99c a pound and we've pretty well demolished it this week. I have the bone simmering in a pot of beans and it's smelling mighty good right now. :drool I just looked up and saw that it's 3pm and I haven't eaten since this morning. But, I probably won't eat until DH gets home. He went and spent the night with his mama last night - she had cataract surgery so he wanted to go help her. Not even sure when he's coming home, but I think it'll be before dark...who knows.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say this... I enjoy my DH...but the occasional time when he's away overnight is soooo good for me, lol. I don't gotta do nuttin' that I don't want to. I don't gotta cook nuttin' that I don't want to. I don't gotta have the tv blarin' if I don't want to. I can have the tv blarin if I do want to. I can even eat a chocolate chip cookie and have a glass of wine in bed if I want to! (and last night I did!) I crawled into bed at about 8 oclock and watched back to back episodes of Survivorman until I fell asleep and I LIKED IT! I slept until at least 6:30 this morning and I LIKED IT! I even added cinnamon to the coffee this morning, and I LIKED THAT TOO!

Can't wait til he gets home, lol!

Need to clean up a little before he gets here, I guess. I usually cook and he usually cleans the kitchen but I guess I should clean up after myself since he wasn't even here last night to contribute to the mess.

Happy Saturday, ya'll!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And that is why I like my tack shed (when it's nice out!). It's so nice to get away by myself for overnight at times. For me the nicest thing is, no TV!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am THRILLED that someone is having a wonderful weather day!!!!! Glad you could be home to enjoy it.

It's 28 here now, wind about 15-20mph, dipping to 22 by AM. Wed is supposed to be 58:celebrate Maybe your day is coming my way!! Of course, by then it will be muddy from snow melt. At least not cold.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to get into the low 70's today... Love it! (but a little bizarre) I'm afraid it's going to confuse my fruit trees all to heck! I think I saw buds on one of the persimmon trees already.

My little garden - the raised beds, not the bigger garden out back, has been producing some really nice cabbages and broccoli. DH and I devoured a head of 'regular' cabbage over the last few days and yesterday I picked a nice Napa cabbage and it's becoming Kimchi as we speak. I got it all put together last night and now it will need a few days of fermenting to become that spicy, fragrant, probiotic-filled delight that we enjoy so much!

Raked up some more old hay and transferred it to the bigger garden over the weekend. Did some Saturday and some more on Sunday afternoon. I still have chickens in that area They are as intent on scratching up that hay as I am on keeping it where I put it - grrrrr. It's all good for now. They have maybe another month in that spot before I lock 'em back into their pen and get started planting. In the meantime they can stay on weed/bug patrol and fertilizer deposit duty.

I took the panel down around the round bale and the critters are doing a good clean-up in that area. I need to put another bale out - should have done it yesterday but the day got away from me. Story of my life, lol.

Happy Monday, ya'll!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My goat shed now needs a full rake out and rebed. Just too wet around the area in general to do it, so end of week may work.
Will be great for the garden, mulch & fertilizer all in one :lol:
I will dump some into bottom of new raised beds, adding soil to top. Heat from composting keeps soil warmer, right?

So far, still holding kids. Good girls!! Since buck broke in, this is day 150. Not sure exact date (BOOO!!) bred but, know it wasn't too long after his decision was made. They are getting close....like few days to 2 weeks. Butt check 2X day -- what fun. Bags pretty full, not tight yet but, that only takes a few hrs. Ligs loosening, not "gone". Three like this. Couple more will be next month "or so" :eek: Darn buck!! I prefer more control.

One thing chickens do is really break the straw down to smaller pieces. I have six 50 # feed bags of composted chicken coop cleanout from last Spring ready for this year also. Let's see, fertilizer is $$$ --- good deal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain @Mini Horses! I have a couple barns that need a good clean out, including the kidding area. I have a bigger barn out in the pasture that the goats live in now and a I have a smaller barn closer to the house. The smaller barn is what I use as the kidding area, but it has been taken over by chickens lately. They gonna havta move!

Heck, if it doesn't dry up in the next month or so I may end up with goats in the back yard, lol. I have an 8 x 8 shed in the yard that's been everything from a dog condo to a grow out for chicks. Right now it's got intermediate chicks in it that are ready for a new home anyway. It has a wooden floor covered with thick rubber mats so it would be ideal. I could put a couple does in there if needed I suppose.

This is the first year in a loooooong time that I don't have exact dates for most of my does. I think we could start in the last week of February and actually go through the first part of May... geeze! Oh well, nothing like keeping it interesting!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I need to clean my goat area. I just barely got the area set up B4 it got so cold, then snowed! So, I need it to warm up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yippie! It's raining...only been going for about 4 hours now... we probably won't get enough. :th

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It rained all night and more this morning and more right now. But - BONUS!!! My goats have lake front property!

lake front property.jpg

I hate this time of year - everything is so UGLY!

It's really hard to see but there are 3 mini-horses and about 16 goats hiding in the barn, lol. They hate this time of year too!