Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, my!! I have wet, not a lake. There are puddles, and all the ditches that the stallion has made along his fence line are full. I am CERTAIN the goats are not coming out of there anytime soon.

SOOO -- meals being served in the barn, right?

This time of year is only good for finding things that need to be done, or found, while all the plant growth is down. I would like to replace a few sections of fence in next couple weeks -- if weather can cooperate. Very wet to take equipment out, put in posts, etc. Wish we could portion this out into the hot, dry summer when the grass really needs it.

today was overcast and only some sprinkles now & then. Tomorrow same? Warm up to a dry & sunny weekend about 60 degrees predicted. I hope.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well...... 'they' say we're going to have a couple beautiful days coming up - and then another batch of cold air. Ehhhh...cold I can take....rain, not so much. It literally has not been dry since the big Memorial day rain in Houston. In the 30+ years that I've lived here it has never been this bad for this long...ugh. Enough griping about that!

I've been looking at the calendar and I could have the first kids on the ground in about a month-ish. It can't get here fast enough - I neeeeeeeed some babies to squeeze!

I stopped milking Cocoa today. I was gonna try and keep her going until I had freshened another doe, but nope, not worth it for a cup a day. I'll just hafta buy cream for my coffee I guess. Just doesn't seem right somehow, lol. I've got 24 goats out there and I don't have anymore milk? Something's WRONG I tell ya! Something's wrong!

Oh well, soon enough I'll be swimming in it.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hear ya! I have 22 hens and got 1 egg yesterday. That just isn't right!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not milking either. Last winter I did and just so cold. So tried to dry up Ivory, who doesn't like to do that. So her 7 mo old twins still nurse every couple days....I think mom makes them:love....but, she's only replenishing about a qt, not bad.

I do miss my milk, like you. Don't use in coffee but, hot tea and I actually drink a couple glasses a day when milking.

Chicken math hit me and I bought 6 beautiful silver Wyandottes yesterday, 9 mos old. Hey, only at 30 hens now ;) & all young layers -- eggs selling. Just want a few more americanas.:hide

Off for 5 days now. Wooohoooo. Hope weather holds well. And the does can pop those kids while I am off. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deb, I know how you feel with the eggs, or lack thereof. But, mine are actually starting to pick up the pace lately. We've had some good sunny days and that always helps. I actually got 14 eggs the other day! And, I went up on my price from 2$ to 3$ - so that helps with the feed bill.

MH, I've got about a gazillion chickens and I always want more, lol. I've got two batches of fairly new Ameraucana's. One batch is about 3 months old and the other is about 1 month old. Noticed, and heard, that I've got a rooster for sure in one batch and several suspects in the younger batch too. Don't need 'em, so when the time is right they'll be heading off to to camp. I'm planning on canning up a few roo's for broth and soup.

I've also decided that I need some Nekkid Necks. I hatched three out of some eggs I bought off ebay - but only one out of the three was actually nekkid! What's up with that? I do like 'em though - they're so ugly they're cute. Supposed to be pretty good layers and pretty good meat birds too...so I'll give 'em a chance to prove it.

Fingers crossed that the weather guru's are right and this will be a nice weekend. It's so hard for me to actually be inside at work today - ARGH! I wanna go out and play in the dirt!

TGIF!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OMG -- does must have heard me!!! 8:45 they finished brkfast, 9:20 Drew went into shed, 1:45 she's licking twins! Talk about wanting to do as I ask ?? !! One of two FF.

Of course, both bucks BUT--all doing well & no issues. Guess I will have milk after next weekend. :cool:

Knew due soon, ligs gone, bag filled last night, no other signs except she went to shed alone while others laid out in sun. At 10, not drainage, etc....then wham! Here they are. Nice.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to do something w/my goats, but I just don't have the room here. Plus, they're kind of old for FF.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
MH - CONGRATS! Don'tcha just love it when it goes the way it's supposed to? That gal is a keeper for sure! Just be sure to tell her next time that does are mandatory, lol. I'm jealous of your upcoming milk...

Deb - you just need to get some more goats - then you could have some babies!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't have the room here. Otherwise, I'd love to.