Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
At least for now, I can go on CL all I want. I don't have the money to buy anything, nor any place to put it, so I'm OK. But, that doesn't mean I can't dream. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know, I know! I'm a sucker for CL!

DH is pretty much ok with anything I want! He's a keeper! I have a dilemma though...I got so excited that I forgot I'd probably need a trailer to move these critters and my trailer hasn't been pulled in years. It previously was a nice aluminum trailer that I had built when I was showing pygmy goats, but it has sat for so long that it would need new tires all the way around and probably needs to be rewired too. UGH... It's been used as a hen house and a goat house lately. Works great as a mobile shelter! Anyway...

Lately, I've been using a stock cage that goes in the back of my truck - because all I ever haul are goats and that cage makes it easy. But - I don't know if we can convince a sow to jump up in the back of that truck, lol!

I guess I could totally look like a hillbilly and strap that cage on to my lowboy trailer and go down the highway looking ridiculous! :lol: In fact, that might be my only recourse....or I could just get babies.

The little critters are settling in, but there is one thing I'm not sure about. I have NO idea how much to feed them. I've been giving 'em a couple cups in the morning and a couple cups in the evening, but they give me that 'look' that says they want more....and they squeal, lol. I put some hay in their pen today - cuz they're supposed to like it - and they gave me that OTHER look - the one that says .... uh... you expect me to eat that ____? Silly pigs!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I just went on CL. Now, I'm wishing I had some room and money. Someone has an ad for people to reserve for Nubian/Nigerian cross kids due in March. And, I want one! Price isn't bad either. They're asking $200. If I had the room and the money...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've got a month to save, and there's always room for more goats, lol. They'll be mini-Nubians and they don't take up much room!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
But, if I got one, then I'd be wanting to breed her. And, I have no room for a kidding pen. But, knowing that there is someone near that's breeding them is good. Hopefully, when I'm ready, she'll have some.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well of course you'd want to breed her! Or, maybe you can just buy a doe in milk at some point. :)

Introducing Wilbur and Charlie...My grandkids wanted Wilbur and Charlotte - but being both boys...

pigsters.jpg

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
awwwww!!! PIGGIES!!!!!! That's terrific that you found what was exactly right! I always go by that theory too - if its too difficult it wasn't meant to be and there will be something perfect just around the corner! Glad its working out! I know nothing about pigs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oink, oink, oink!! YES -- they can eat anytime & all the time. Mine like the expensive alfalfa/orchard I got for the kidding/milking does. Moisten the hay a little and they think it's fresh grass....pour a little grain on it & they eat that then keep going. Grow xtra garden stuff -- almost anything. You work at a school? get scraps from cafeteria! Extra goat milk...for chickens & pigs. LOTS of water to drink.

Can tell by the fence they are still young. 4 months & they will be 5X that size! Where you are, it's hot....shade to keep cool. Remember they can't sweat. I will have one butchered in couple months. Cant wait.

And, YES, CL led me to an NPIP certified farm for my "new" pure Marans & Ameraucanas. :p Pricey but, good base lines to work out enough chicks to sell. Plus tested and vaccinated stock to bring home. Will probably cross roos onto a couple other hens for own flock...my Buff Orps & couple EEs. My customers love the multi color "surprise" eggs & chicken swaps customers will buy the pure chicks for own use. Will prob not sell fertile eggs this yr, to keep own sales level to cover own starts first.
Next, some Isbars (moss green eggs) and some Crème Legbars, which I'd like to cross with the Ameraucanas -- deeper blue??

Colored eggs may be the only "fun" I have this year. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Repeat after me: I am a Craigslistaholic...LOL

Yep - they're still young'uns. They're s'posed to be 4 months old now. I dunno...do they look small for 4 months? I'm guessing they're 30 lbs or so. They were still runnin' with their mama but she looked pretty dried up. Breeder (and I use that word generously) was feeding them and their mama a little sweet feed and they were in a small pen.

Bright and early tomorrow I'm going to pick up a sow and two babies. One male, one female baby. The babies are really babies - only about 10 days old. She only had 4 babies and two of 'em didn't make it. Hope I'm not setting myself up for a bad sow - but it was her first farrowing so I hope she'll do better next time.

I want to pasture the pigs. In the last couple years we've replaced ALL of the perimeter fencing except for one section (about 150) feet at the back of the pasture. I walked out there yesterday and found a spot under that section of fence where something as big as my LGD could get through. The spot opens up to the pasture behind me. I've gotta wonder what's been going through there...maybe it's my own LGD that's been visiting the neighbors - but I've NEVER gone out and found her 'missing.' It's a conundrum - but tomorrow it won't be a conundrum any more - it'll be repaired! After that I may let the boys out to explore a bit. The new sow and babies will be kept up until the babies are too big to fit through the field fencing.

Ok, gotta go to bed - have to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and get on the road!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:yaPiggies!!:ya Yep, about right size for age. I swear they are live garbage disposals. Will root, just not horribly deep. Awww, mom & babes! She may have been young when bred but, some of the first times are small litters. Have faith, she'll probably do better next farrowing.

Hey, we could be each others "sponsor" for CLanon...:lol::celebrate