Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deb you showed amazing self control.

MH - not so much, lol!!

Of course, I can't talk - I've got two incubators going right now. I did candle the other day and pulled out about a dozen that weren't developing. Not a great loss though - just boiled 'em up and fed 'em to the pigs.

I had ads on CL for some of my previously hatched birds and wouldn't ya know it - after a week or so with no action I had responses to both listings. But, my silly self decided that since I'd fed em for this long already I would just keep 'em, lol. But, I will run a pre-ad for the eggs I have now, maybe...

Happy Wednesday, ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This sow is so chill! (and I hear that most of them are) Yesterday, for the very first time, I was able to pick up one of the babies and OMG! That baby squealed for probably 5 or 6 minutes. I kept thinking that I'd hold it until it calmed down - but it never did! I finally got down on the ground with it and just kinda wrapped my arms around it and let it sit in the hay in their house. That's the only way it stopped squealing. During all of that there was ZERO aggression from mama. The whole time this baby was squealing, mom might've looked up once. Guess she figured that since I'm the bringer of food that she wasn't going to give me a hard time. So really pleased with them.

Got on Craiglist yesterday and DANG IT! Found a guy selling 5 REGISTERED Guinea Hogs for $400, about 15 miles from me. That's a mere $80 dollars apiece. I've pretty much spent all the cash I want to spend right now so I offered him a trade, lol. Told him I had some mini-horses and/or some goats. Haven't heard back...and probably won't... but it was worth a try. Not that I need 10 pigs, but I'd re-sell some of the ones I have now and move to registered.

It's not a big deal either way, because I don't really NEED registered. I'm sure those papers don't make 'em taste any better! But, for resale value they might bring a little better prices for babies. However, I'm not holding my breath that the guys gonna want to trade anything.

Absolutely beautiful weather today except for the ridiculous wind. This is the second day of it. Last night we were getting steady winds in the 25mph range and had lots of gusts in excess of 40mph. Today isn't much better. My hope is that it'll help dry up some of the standing water from the 2+ inches of rain we got earlier in the week. Yep, just what we needed - more mud!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wasn't even at TSC.....but, at some point will use their "chicken Swap days" to sell some chicks. These are for growing out. In addition to the hatchlings, I also bought some 20 wk old trios for faster fertile eggs. :hide And will go get some fertile eggs to incubate to have chicks to sell for couple months, then wait on own eggs. :old

And YOUR excuse is? :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just can't help myself! I am a chickaholic! (And a pigaholic....and a goataholic) And, of course - all my 'justifications' sound really good to me.

@Mini Horses - was glad to hear from you this morning after the weather guru's kept talking about all the tornadoes in your state.

It was 35 degrees when I got up this morning... my body did not appreciate that! We were near 80 over the weekend and I loved it! I swear this back and forth, wet and more wet is taking its toll....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just can't help myself! I am a chickaholic! (And a pigaholic....and a goataholic) And, of course - all my 'justifications' sound really good to me.

-----AMEN, I am with you !! --------:lol::hugs

Tornado hit about 25 miles from me, Waverly, and 3 confirmed dead there. It was a narrow path a few miles long. Took out a couple trailers, sheds, cars, etc. Today they will find what else went down.

Winds were unreal here. I found 3 mares by the barn this AM & when I went to look at how they got out of their field I found that their entire shed had been blown & collapsed out onto a path that is the driveway for a couple houses -- usually 4 cars going. They could skirt up onto an area where the shed/fence once stood to get out -- LOL. But I cranked up the tractor about 7:30AM and got it moved to clear the path. Winds still about 30-35 and steady....so, the couple roof panels on other places will have to wait until tomorrow to get back up.

Messy!! Yes, "things" are everywhere. But not bad. All animals are fine & I can rebuild the shed. Was a 12X16 run-in, just lifted and collapsed onto self....mostly. Older one. Most wood still good and roof is all still in "pick it up and place it" shape.:eek: 2 side walls look like I had framed them to raise up & go. Will use some for my "new" chicken sheds & rebuild all new run in....except the roof which I "hope" I can lift & place it. If not, unscrew metal and use it anyway. I have another field & similar shed to put them onto. Son will get to new shed in a week or so. Hope he get some repair work for others so THEY can pay him.

So now that everyone is fed and path clear, things stable....I have to go to work. Hair will dry on the way. LOL

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Windy here too. I don't appreciate wind. It is windier at my house than anywhere else around. So whenever I'm not home and its windy I kinda dread going home.
Glad everything was ok Mini Horses! We dodged the storms, too, for the most part. Just lots and lots of rain. Not sure how much, I need to put my guage back up again now that I think the freeze issues are past.
LOL, silly piggie didn't know it was safer in your arms! Glad Momma didn't do anything nasty, that isn't fun, pigs can take you down at the knees! LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We were under a tornado watch, but didn't get one. I did hear that there were a lot of downed trees. I really wish I had my truck. I'm probably missing out on a lot of firewood!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been busy lately, but not at my house - at my son's house. Woo hoo - for baby steps!

Around here.... well, let's see....

The pigs are growing and eating and are always happy to see me. I love pigs!

Noticed today that a couple of my pea seeds have sprouted and have lots of radishes up too. I need to get busy and devote an entire weekend to MY garden now that the son's garden is under control.

I need to get to Home Depot and get some screen material. I WILL have a screen enclosure over at least one of my raised beds to put my tomatoes in. I need to get that taken care of like yesterday.

Several of the does are starting to build pretty good udders. Still have ZERO idea who is due when - so uncommon for me, lol. I usually at least think I know when the babies will arrive. Just givin' it to God this year. I've got too much goin' on with family right now.

I have to take my mom for a colonoscopy on Friday. Do I think she needs one - nope. It was ordered for abdominal pain that she was having. The GI doc even said her pain was from gas. But, yet he ordered a colonoscopy and she bowed before the doc and said " yes sir - whatever you think sir". I suggested she take GasX and she did and she's had NO pain since then...but she's still going through with it. I'm so annoyed with the this whole process. He never touched her - never did an exam - just said she had gas so let's do an invasive procedure on an 83 year old woman so I can pad my pockets a little more. ARGH!!!! Does that even make sense??? Deep breath...sigh.

And on Monday my DH sees the cardiologist about his circulation in his carotids and his legs. Don't even know what to expect from that but whaddya wanna bet he has a surgical intervention that is just exactly what DH needs. GRRRRRR...

Geeze, is my exasperation coming through in my post? I need to let this go.

Where's my wine? Or would that be.... whine?

Sorry ya'll.. I'll be more positive tomorrow.