Garden or not?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would. I like growing things. Pumpkins and squash are pretty low maintenance and goats and chickens enjoy them. I actually might not panic so much about a weed or 12 if I were growing things for the critters, lol.

I could also donate to a food pantry. I need dirt therapy!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me gardening and lawn work are meaningful exercise and i enjoy working with plants of all types, not just the edibles. because of our location it really isn't that great to walk here any more so i really do need this exercise when i can get it - i don't enjoy indoor exercises much at all and i too often just find other things to do instead.

the fact that i do get good food in return for my efforts and also have fun with the various bean and other plant seed experiments kicks it up another notch.

my problem here is about the opposite though, much of what i would like to grow would only be things i would eat and it's not a good use of the space if only half of us eat it. so for now i grow mostly what we both enjoy eating (except for the hot peppers :) ).

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having volunteered at the local tiny food pantry for three weeks now, I'd grow alot and offer it to the pantry. Our place spends $2,000 of their donated dollars A WEEK to buy fresh produce from a large produce distribution company.

This is one part of why they are going down to Once a Month allowed pickups for the clients starting next year (vs 2x a month allowed pickups).