Herbal Studies

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, that is so tough. I hope he recovers well and you all are able to get back to living your regular life. It is so difficult when you live that far away from the hospital. I'll be sending good wishes your way. :hugs

Melinda_710split

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I hope your husband recovers quickly. We have a small local hospital but if you have a heart attack they send you out of town, which is usually in Cookeville. That too is an hour away. If they send you off to Nashville or Knoxville then you're at least 2 hours away. Try to get some rest and don't worry about studying. Do some research on Hawthorn Berry. You can get the capsules at walmart for about 6 bucks. It's wonderful for blood pressure regulation, stress, and the like. In Germany they give it regularly to people with congestive heart failure. It apparently strengthens the heart and increases its function. If you're taking a calcium channel blocker I don't think you're suppose to take it. I believe it's suppose to increase the effectiveness of the calcium channel blockers. Just do some research. It is also good to take the Hawthorn with a garlic capsule and a vitamin e capsule. I take all 3 myself for high bp. I take the hawthorn once in the morning along with the garlic, and then again in the evening. It has helped a lot with the bp issues.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. Hoping he will be put in a regular room very soon, cuz he wants to see our children and some of them are little. We have Indian Hawthorn. Is that what you talking about? I'll look it up regarless. Today he is not happy. Cardiologist told him he is functioning at 30%. Said in 2 months time he may regain some of his function, but that at that time, whatever he has, is what he will be left with. I have reason to believe he will be making some changes. Nurse spoke with me yesterday about the doctor helping him to stop smoking (thank God). That is something he wouldn't ordinarily discuss with me. He'll listen to someone else talk about kicking the habit, but not his wife.
I'd be there with him right now, if it wasn't for a problem I needed to tend to at the DMV. Really wild here now.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so sorry!!! my wife has heart disease so I know what you are going through. Hope he recovers quickly. My family will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Chad

Melinda_710split

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The hawthorn you buy at walmart is different from the Indian hawthorn. You'd be safest buying the hawthorn already made. That way you are sure of getting the right kind. You can also buy it at any herbal store or online. If you go to Swanson vitamins you can get it in tincture form and in tea. If you use the capsules from walmart, or anywhere for that matter, start off using about 1/3 to 1/2 a capsule at a time. If you start off taking too much at once it can cause fatigue or dizzyness. Be sure to check with his doctors first because you don't want any meds he'd be on to counter act with the hawthorn. Also, if he takes it be sure to monitor his BP because he may need to adjust/lower BP meds he may be taking. Do the research when you get some time. It may also be worth looking into Cayenne capsules. You'd get more "punch" from taking the capsules then you could from eating a pepper or two. Growing your own herbs is great, but sometimes it's best to buy a commercially prepared item. I know of people getting the wrong herb and getting sick or poisoned.

For anyone reading this, if you're concerned with high cholesterol look into Red Yeast Rice. Worked for me. It may not work for everyone but it did for me. Be sure to add some CoQ10 whether you're taking the RYR or any of the prescription statins.

Just a thought for all to consider.

Take care Miss Rhonda. Be sure to eat good food, get some rest, and drink plenty of water. When anyone in the family gets sick it's up to mom and/or the wife to take care of everyone. Without us the family tends to fall apart.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:hugs My goodness! I hope he gets better quickly. I KNOW there are things out there. You might want to look for the book The Prescription for Nutritional Healing. I don't agree with everything in there, but it is a HUGE wealth of information. I think my library even had it, and you can often find older versions on sale at used book stores.
Sending you warm healing thoughts!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a close call. Spent a few hours with him today, with the children. He was so glad to take a shower. His meds are complicated.....not for a nurse, but to figure between nursing and herbs......yes. We have to stabalize a bit. But I'm all about natural solutions to everything. I"m sure we will be able to get some kind of normal life soon. And thanks for all ya'll concerns and prayers. I'll tell my other half. He is depending more and more on his prayer life.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Came home yesterday. Told the little kids to sleep in their own beds because of Poppa wearing an external defibrillator and they could be shocked if Poppa gets sick. So glad I don't have to go chasing after him. And last night I resumed reading my notes and books and answered 2 more questions in my studies. But I was pooped and thats all I did before my body gave out and I went to sleep. Today I need to get back to normal.

Melinda_710split

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm glad Mr. Rhonda is home.:) You can always heal better at home. There's a lot to be said about familure sights and sounds. Better food too. We'll keep y'all in our prayers.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got back to studying at work. Apparently I'm going to go on passing herbal studies, but won't ace it until I get it in my head that I will memorize every single word from the text. Made an 85 on my 3rd test. I'm writting my personal ideas in the margins of the text. There is some crazy stuff in there. So much to remember that I think I'll just have to always keep the books handy to use for reference, but I don't guess there is a law against that. Started studying for my next exam 2 nights ago. Learning about tonics now.