Herbal Studies

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Sounds good. But look......let me get some day light and talk to my other half (he is great with plants). I need to see if I can figure where the seeds are. Never in my life has anyone I know intentionally wanted to plant 'fire grass' lol. But I understand because what used to be a harmful weed is now something that I plan on guarding. Thus far in my studies with PennFoster, I haven't touched on propagation. Its mainly been what treats what and a bunch of recipes. I do have resource books to refer to however. Cool.....some weird homework. I'm on it.
Oh and I just took my 4th test. I missed one. But I got a 95. Yeehaa!!
I'm in no hurry, Rhoda, so take your time! :D

Congrats on your test score! :celebrate

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had nettle at the same spot forever and I can't find it. But not to worry, because I live on my families estate and my mom has some, so she is joking that she is rich. I'll deal with it very soon. I'm guessing with it being so late in the summer that it will be going into seed, which is good for sharing and replanting (on my part).
I"m on my on time, but I barely got any studying done today because of some work related drama. All unnecessary. People should count to 10 before the open their mouth's and it would save a lotta trouble. Fortunately I wasn't involved....only included. People cutting in on my study time for their misunderstandings. WD_?
So anyway, I'm into a new study guide and textbook and one of my first assignments was to go to youtube and watch 3 videos.......of course several related videos came up, so I think I will probably treat myself in the coming weeks. I gotta say that a lot of these herbs have some tongue twisting names. I can guess as to what they are, but like in medication, I bet some of us would pronounce one way and others, in another. I'm hoping by looking at some of these videos, I can get an idea of how to properly pronounce some of these words.
I'm trying not to ask DH for any help on my cold formula wine, but it has a film growing over it, which I have to keep skimming off.....he says its normal and has happened to him. Its not sweet enough for me either.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got a chance to use a recipe for a basic salve, but I don't have the preservative. My youngest was complaining of a rash and I was out of A&D, so I mixed up some oils and heated it up with plantain and elder leaves, until they were bruised and the oil was green-tinged, then I melted some of our own bees wax, I had frozen last year. I guess I will obtain the preservative and add it later.
I had wanted to start a new wine, but the neighbor in the front didn't think it was a good idea for me to pick the fruit from the ground......like it wouldn't be enough. No biggie...I can just go for a walk in the woods and find all I want. It was persimmon. I thought I could use willow, cayenne and ginger so it could be to treat circulation and pain.
Well, I'm on my 'on week' and have been doing some honest reading/studying for my 5th test. Pretty sure I'll be ready to take it by Wednesday.
Getting some beds ready too. The power companies have been clearing the power lines and chipping branches, so I got 2 loads to use for mulch and I've covered 2 of the beds. Need to look at my seed collection and see what I can plant.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As long as the ground that the persimmons are on hasn't been treated with any nasty chemicals, the fruits will be fine to use. We never pick them off of the tree, always wait until they fall to the ground as they're the sweetest ones! :drool

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH saw the cardiologist today because of an episode he had at rehab a few days ago (the PT is afraid of him now), so he is wearing a halter monitor until tomorrow afternoon. Went with him on this appointment. Still hoping he won't need an internal defribulator, but I'm losing hope.....normal people don't have pulses that go down to 48 and are so very irregular.
Well, I came home and went to bed for a nap, but if Momma is asleep, then kids can do whatever they want, so my nap turned into a 4 hour deal......not good. You can call that almost a wasted day. I had planned on waking up, before dark, so I could head to the garden again and continue cleaning it up......making it pretty and planning it out. NOT!!! So, of course, no one thought to pick up the eggs either. (this is Rhoda when the cup is half empty).
So I have a few hours b4 I go in to work and maybe I can do a few mommy things. I am mostly finished with my studying for the next test. We are into Yin and Yang right now. I can understand why it has kept China healthy for so many hundreds of years, but its not completely stuck in my head good......I understand it, only on a very, very basic level. If Yang foods have done this to me, then I need more Yin foods and activities....pretty common sense. Also to accept the idea that the person will heal, when they tire of being sick. It is theraputic to keep in mind that healing begins when I enter the garden, as well. I can see the truth of it. All things do seem to go into perspective when I'm setting things right in the garden.
I didn't get to go in the woods yet for the persimmons.....I agree Dawn. Much better on the ground. If you ever pick an unripe persimmon, and bite into it, you will remember the sensation it gives your mouth for decades to come. Only problem with needing to go in the woods, is I'll have to compete with the critters. Actually I might have to forget the idea this year. Should probably just plant a seed in my yard.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its been a while. I finally took my 5th test. I was pretty much ready to take it for a good while, but wanted to officially finish the book. Didn't even realize that the instructions didn't have me reading the whole book, so I read up on cancer treatments and magnet therapy, which isn't in the program. The magnet therapy look interesting, but I can't order a magnetic pad, unless I start sleeping in another bed. DH needed that defribulator afterall. :(Well, I made 100% and brought up my average. Only just begun reading the equipment for the 6th test last night. You know, I've gone thru nursing school and have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and have been on synthroid for a few years now. Well, it took me to be in herbal studies to read that raw cabbage depletes the body of thyroid hormone. How many times I ate a very large coleslaw? And never considered shreaded cabbage in a salad mix could cause harm....although I imagine the amount wouldn't have done much in a salad and the average person wouldn't eat that much coleslaw.
My co-worker came in today with a rootcutting of comfrey. I acted up bad. Anyone 'normal' would have seen me, I just don't know what they would have told me. Well, I think its past time for me to start a serious list of wanted herbs. DH just got in a new shelf and some greenhouse supplies, so we will be starting our spring plants early and I plan on putting some of my herb seeds in pots.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Regarding cabbage depleting thyroid hormones: do you think fermented kraut would have the same effect, or would it be considered more "cooked"? Anyone care to guess?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow!! I didn't think of that. And I'm finished that text, but I can certainly put that question on the back burner. Supposedly I can e-mail my instructors, but not sure how. I'll see if I can figure it out next time I test. Good question. We don't normally eat kraut in my area, so it didn't occur to me. But you can bet I won't be eating large amts of cole slaw in the future. My best guess is that kraut would be considered cooked. Qurious to see what others think.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Still studying. I'm about 1/2 finished studying for, I think, my 6th test. I don't have every herb I ever learned about completely down in my recall facility, but I'm getting a little better. I usually can guide someone in sorta the right direction, when they tell me they are sick. I have a few things brewing right now. There is a goldenrod vinegar on my cabinet, a cold formula wine in my pantry, an awesome lotion in the fridge, which I suspect would be wonderful on a rash. Next time I make a lotion, I will use less bees wax....Okay, maybe I should call it a cream then. I also have some lye solution I'm going to try turning into a soap soon, but I"m not sure if I should introduce some kind of medicinal additive to it. I do have a husband that sheds his skin a bit and a little girl that complains she is itchy, so IDK....plantain, elder flowers, something....
Well, I've been studying all this stuff and most of these things I don't have so I finally went thru an heirloom seed catalog and put an order together. About 1/2 of it was for herbal uses and I did order a book to help me save seeds, but it costed me $136. Pretty sure that is the most I ever spent on seeds. Thats not to say that I don't have some of these herbs anyway. Okay...about the nettle; I lost the patch I was thinking I had, somehow, but not to worry, because I have my eye on a nice mess of it. It seems to have tiny flowers, so I imagine it will be throwing out seeds soon. I am going to transplant them all because my neighbor is one of these men who work offshore and while he is away, he is writing a list of everything he wants to do when he gets home and the nettle is dangerously close to his property. But his wife knows I want it, plus I helped her out with a sinus infection she was suffering with a while back, so its all good.
I'm no where near prepared to turn over all the earth I need to to make a bunch of raised beds.....I mean, DH can't really help me anymore, so I'm thinking about using every large planter I have and obtaining more. That might be the only way I can control one herb trying to take over the whole bed and encroching on the others. But with all the studying I have been doing, very little was concerned with planting and growing of the herbs.....let alone saving of the seeds. Sometimes I'm told this is good for that, but have no idea what part of the plant would be best to use, so do I use the leaves, flowers, crushed seeds, bark, roots....what? I think I am safe with leaves and flowers mostly. One good thing is that when parts of a plant are dangerous, the authors make sure you know about it. Poke comes to mind right away. To start with I feel like containers are my best bet. That saves me the worry of having planted something at entirely the wrong place and creating a huge mess in my yard and garden. My life is complicated enough without me adding to it.
Okay, now tell me if this makes sense.....I watched a video on permies about burying logs and branches, under soil and then planting over it. They claim that the logs start to decompose and acts as a sponge, to slowly give water to the plants. Now I haven't taken this up with DH, but I was thinking I'd obtain all the large pots I could to plant in, put in 2 small logs, standing up, start putting some soil, maybe layer it with a few woodchips, which I could also bury, then top it all off with good compost or topsoil, plant the herbs and when they come up, mulch around them. I figure the herbs don't really require that much soil all at once and its not like when the wood decomposes that it won't be turning into soil anyway. Plus, it would cost me less in soil to get it started. So what you think??? Is it a turkey?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I read a similar article and it made sense to me. If you try it, please keep us posted on how it works. I may devote an area to try it in also.