Herbal Studies

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Okay, now tell me if this makes sense.....I watched a video on permies about burying logs and branches, under soil and then planting over it. They claim that twhe logs start to decompose and acts as a sponge, to slowly give water to the plants. Now I haven't taken this up with DH, but I was thinking I'd obtain all the large pots I could to plant in, put in 2 small logs, standing up, start putting some soil, maybe layer it with a few woodchips, which I could also bury, then top it all off with good compost or topsoil, plant the herbs and when they come up, mulch around them. I figure the herbs don't really require that much soil all at once and its not like when the wood decomposes that it won't be turning into soil anyway. Plus, it would cost me less in soil to get it started. So what you think??? Is it a turkey?
I don't have the exact time frame (and it will vary from species to species, and upon the size of the log), but there is a *considerable* time involved before a buried log will stop consuming nutrients from the soil as the decay process starts. My guess would be a few years but, again, I don't have the data. The water-retention value might be there earlier but if they are sucking up nutrients as the cellulose begins to decompose, that value might be negated.
Best of luck with your plans.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I only know one way to find out, but I appreciate your input. I'll make sure the good soil is at the top, where the seeds and plants will go and is a good 4 to 5 inches. I can always add fertilizers, if I think something is in trouble and consider the possiblity that its the decomposition contributing to it, if it comes to that.
Suddenly I'm at a little cross roads in my life. My boss figured a way to take my cushy little job and make it a little less cushy (and unsafe, as far as I'm concerned), so when that happens the voices in my head start reminding me that I am a nurse, so I think I have to check out my white clothes and see what all is fit to wear and go work for real, before I make any hasty decision to outright quit. But the good thing, is I only need 2 shifts of 8 hours to cancel out my 40 hours of cushy, do nothing job. So if it comes to that, so long as I really get the 16 hours, I'll have more time to homeschool, study and farm.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds beneficial!! Jump with me!! :lol: We just rearranged our sources of income as well and for safety reasons too! :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found the link for the beds with the wood in them. http://permaculturenews.org/2010/08...nsforming-woody-debris-into-a-garden-resource

I would love to put an herb garden in. I have a few herbs in pots, and there are plenty of wild ones that I know what are. Tons of plantain in the yard since it's a last resort green for the chickens. We had a bunch of stinging nettle come up along the fence line last year. I found it the hard way. I thought it was just the flowers still that had been there the two years before. I went to walk across the 15 feet to check something out. I walk quick normally and the stinging hit me two steps from the other side and the only way through the fence was back how I came.

I love how you're learning what to do with the plants. I wish I would have kept trying to learn what was what and used for what. I have a few out of print herbals in a box somewhere in the shed (40+ boxes of books out there. We need a library). I need to go through them all and find my old plant dye guide.

ETA: Ok I fixed the link. Somehow I lost a bracket last night and was to tired to notice.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rhoda, this is just my opinion, but I think the wood needs more moisture to rot than the herbs need to grow strong and potent. (And I understand that herbs don't want fertilizer, for best potency) If I had some logs I would just dig a hole and bury them, then maybe in two years plant something above them.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, you know the old saying about not putting all your eggs in the same basket....same here, I guess. I'll just experiment. Well, I think I'm ready to test. I have all the self test done and such, but I have more to read. I confess....I hurried up and just found each answer, because I got tired of rereading all the questions over and over, afraid that I had skipped over an answer, without noticing. So now, I will just read the remainder of the book for my own knowledge. And you know what I found....exactly what I needed a few months ago, when we were cleaning the orchard. I could have rubbed myself down with bay leaves before going in the woods to work to keep me from getting poison oak, which would also have helped me for mosquitos. Thanks!! But alls well that ends well. I survived and now I have something new to try. Was thinking maybe I could put it in a tincture, so it would always be ready to apply. My nextdoor neighbor has a tree and I noticed a foot tall tree a few months ago and asked her if she would mind me taking it. One more medicinal plant to add to my yard.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If my location is any indication, then no, but I really don't know where all those trees can be found other than here. I'm surrounded by bayou's, marsh and swamps. I need to find me some people who can trade some stuff I can't have here......Walnut hulls comes to mind. I've read enough remedies that require them, that it upsets me that I can't grow one myself. Too bad pecan hulls can't do the same.
I'm so ready to nurse part time and give up my full time job. I'd have gone already, but I took a vicodin Sunday cuz my feet were killing me and I don't want to have to explain anything, even though I do have a prescription. Proper diet in progresss, along with lots of water, weight lifting (I need some strong muscles). I"m all psyched out and ready to make a change. One of my old aids will be my new boss, if it works out...Don't worry....I won't treat my patients with bay leaves and wild mushrooms. Lol.
Ready for my test, except to relax and finish the book. I"m gonna have a really nice herbal library once I finish this program.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm over the hump. Just took 6th, out of 11 tests to complete the program. Also, DH went thru the booklet I ordered my herbs from and informs me that we have our own local version of marshmallow. Oh thanks. And really, in the beginning, I thought he would either study with me or read each of my textbooks, so we could kinda have a little partnership going. But its all good, because we have our wild version and now I will have another kind....no big deal. And it seems like one of the other herbs, as well, but can't recall which one.
I've brought up my average to 93%. I've got some really wild ideas now. Most current book had a suggestion for an herbal bath experience, in a private area of your yard, all secured with privacy fence and vines growing on it...hopefully medicinal and beautiful....where you can relax, while you enjoy all your herbal salts, infusions and such, but she suggests that you don't tell anyone your little secret or you'll never get to use your own bath. Told DH about it and started telling him thats where I want to plant our wild roses and he said we aren't taking baths in the yard. Oh well.
I so wanted to do something SS today, hopefully to prepare for herbology. I even went into the yard with a wheelbarrel to get some soil for the nettle, but then I remembered that its been raining for days and DH was bound to tell me I"m nuts, so I just stuffed a pillow will duck feathers and cooked down my lye solution a bit. Afterall, tomorrow is another day....

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I feel the need to let some of you know that in the course of my studies, I have learned that corn silk can be used to make a tea for use when you have UTI, or kidney infections. Oh well....
Oh...and old people; pay attention to the pains in you bodies. Momma fell down right before Christmas and has been hobbling around ever since. Today, I find out that she has a fracture in her left lower leg. Fortunately it was in its proper place, but she is casted. Daddy is still recooperating from a fractured left hip and a shattered pelvis, so I guess me or little sister will be taking him to his next appointment.
Well, tea time before work. Nighty night.