hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How much snow did you get? We only got an inch or 2. And w/as cold and windy as it was, I was glad we didn't get more!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Lol, FEM, some days I am, and some days I'm not! I was so tired by the time I went to bed last night.
I did manage to work Othello a second time and storm once before turning the two of them out together. They did well, mostly because of the size difference. Storm just dwarfs Othello. So of course Othello can't really get anything over on storm. They were calmer than I expected, I'm not sure if they were smart enough to know the snow was slippery and they shouldn't run around, but I was relieved it was mostly calm. Othello kept squealing though, which was such a loud noise. At one point Othello pooped, then turned around and sniffed it, storm came over and sniffed, then turned around and backed up right into Othello and shoved him out of the way. It was pretty clear who is boss and Othello didn't really argue.
While I was keeping an eye on them, the bf decided to play with the snow blower for the first time and cleared some of the 3" of snow that we got. It was so cute.
Then we got a bale and put that out. He let me drive the bobcat and I actually did everything by myself. I was really nervous putting it in the feeder because it has to be tipped over on its side off of the spike. It landed perfectly, I only had to push it back a tiny bit. We got the bale in the net with the usual grumbling and muttering and headed inside. I grabbed 2 bags of pellets and I'm glad I did because I'll need them today since the stove is going to need to run a bit higher with the cold weather. I'm really annoyed though that I have to clean it out. It isn't burning efficiently and it had baled itself up into the feed chute, so not I have to turn it off, wait for it to cool completely, clean it out and then restart it. On the coolest day of winter so far. Ugh!
today I'm staying inside as much as possible! They are calling for gusts up to 40 mph, which probably means higher here due to our crazy wind habit. I looked out the window this morning and the landlord's flags were already standing straight out. It's snowing all over again from everything blowing around.
So I'll take the dogs out, go feed at my friend's, come back and feed here, then hide in the house for a while. The halls are coming over about noon to turn out the new mare with the herd and then I'll hide in the house again. I have my animal communication class again today for the first time since the holiday. I need to get back into that groove.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Oh, just looked at the thermometer, it's 17 now, low of 8 last night (they were calling for 18). Tonight's low says 7... I wonder how cold is going to actually get?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:thCannot imagine dealing with that kind of cold... And, I'm complaining cuz we're sposed to get into the 20's tonight....ugh.

Glad Storm and Othello got it right from the beginning!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We had a low of 9 last night and they were calling for a low of 19. Tonight, they're calling for a low of 7, so we'll see.

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Seven degrees here in maryland. This old farmhouse is breezy!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Where in MD, @Plantress ? It actually got down to 3, that's what it was when I left the house yesterday morning to start chores before work. I decided to dress so that I didn't have to change clothes when I got to work, just take off the outer layers. That helped!
The tank heater in the auto waterer went up some time in the night, so I called the landlord. Thankfully they got it fixed but it didn't thaw out until some time last night. We put out a tub with a tank heater over night just to make sure they had enough water. Oh the joys of super cold!
Last night it went down to 10. High of 31 today, we'll see if it makes it.
The pellet stove does not like these pellets. We ran it on 2 instead of 1 for a while yesterday because of the cold and it already needs to be cleaned again. I'm going to try to do it since it's supposed to be warmer today than the next several days.
I need to get more walnuts shelled so I can get the rest of the banana bread made and get that off my plate. My ex also printed our Christmas letter for us since he has a color printer and I need to get those mailed. I'm so behind on a lot of things. So it goes.
I need to get my day stated I guess....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do know that "behind" feeling.. sometimes seems I live my entire life that way.... geesh!

Hope it warms up for you!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm so far behind I don't even know what it's like to be caught up.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Pretty much. That's how I roll right now.
We ended up with a surprise dinner with some of the bfs friends on Friday night. That was nice. We got a few errands run before dinner, so that was good.
Saturday I worked Othello and swapped out some other horses with him so he could get to know everyone, and that went well.
I didn't get much done otherwise on Saturday because we went over to the bfs parents to watch the game. The Ravens lost but they played a great game, all the way to the wire. We left there way too late and still had to go care for animals. We crashed when we got home.
Sunday I got up and did chores while the bf started messing with his jeep. He found moisture in the oil cap, and he's known something is wrong for a while. He's scared its a cracked block, or a crackled head, but he hasn't completely figured it out yet. He ended up with a horrible headache, which might have been from the diesel heater running inside the shop. He came up and went to sleep for a while, then we got up and ran errands, thankfully he felt better after his nap.
Yesterday at work was uneventful, and I didn't really get anything done when I got home. The bf came home and then we ran to the local creamery and picked up some ground beef and milk and a ham hock, then headed to feed my friend's horses before heading home. The bf suggested we male tacos which was good because I had no other ideas for making anything at home. I'm glad we didn't spend the money out.
Today there is so much I really should get done. I don't even know where to start which is the really frustrating part. At any rate, chores come first.