hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We got about 4". But at least it warmed up enough to start melting stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
It's probably melting pretty good If you're getting the same rain that we are Deb. It's not raining hard right now but it could before 11 when it's supposed to quit. This works out well for me. I'll do stuff in the house this morning, and then go feed the horses and look at the gate again and make sure everything is ready for the new lady and then eat lunch and head over there.
Since there is a chance that the owner could do by this afternoon to see the horse and sign the paperwork I'm going to try to get the house cleaned up a bit in case she comes in. Its embarrassingly messy right now.
I'm also going to get the soup set up today for real from the leftover brisket that we have. That will taste good tonight.
The bf had a headache when he got home so it ended up being a junk dinner might and I made tater tot and that was it. Didn't feel too good this morning but oh well.
I also wrote up early this morning with my back hurting, probably from the shoveling I did yesterday. I'll take some arnica this morning and hopefully that will go away. I don't know what I'll do come spring cause I feel so out of shape! Winter made me soft!
I bet get busy!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Alright. Soup is put together.
I need to get this house cleaned up but it's SO messy that I'm overwhelmed thinking about it! I don't even know where to start!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I know that feeling. The best way I've found to cope w/that is to pick an area, set the timer, and work in that area for that amount of time. Then, pick another area, set the timer and work there.

I've found if I do this, I actually get more accomplished because I'm trying to see how much I can get done B4 the timer goes off, but at the same time, since I have a quitting time, I'm not completely overwhelmed.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Hmm that's a good idea Deb. I'll have to try that next time.
I managed to get a good amount picked up, if for nothing moving it to a different spot where it can't be seen. That's where all the paperwork went and half the stuff that needed to go upstairs! It just got stuck out of sight!
It was sooooo beautiful yesterday! I actually had to take off my jacket, gloves and hat because it was so warm! I was thoroughly enjoying the feeling of getting stuff done without a jacket! It was awesome! I chopped up more ice to get some places clear and that made me feel good.
D and i headed out to get Kahlua and had a very uneventful trip. She whinnied when we pulled up like she knew we were there for her. She loaded nicely without too much hesitation and we were off again headed home.
I turned her out in the paddock for a bit and she was a little nervous but all in all fairly calm and still very handlable. She has a tendency to push, but we'll work on that a bit at a time. D and I couldn't figure out where to put the trailer and ended up taking her dad's truck and shoving the rest of the snow out of the way with the plow and putting it back sort of where it was. We we're playing truck jockey when her mom arrived back home and so I had to run and move her dad's truck so she could get by. She got the trailer where she wanted it but then the ball wouldn't release and she almost picked the rear end of the truck up off the ground by the ball! It started to randomly rain so I decided to put Kahlua in since we had taken her blanket off. She did very well coming into the barn for the first time.
We finally got everything out away and I left her in her stall and went to finish cleaning the house.
I vacuumed the main areas and did a little vacuuming of the shelves in the chinchilla cage. Somehow the door didn't get shut good when I finished. I emptied the vacuum dirt and took it out to the dumpster and came back in and was looking at the mail and caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and looked and Frazier had gotten out of the cage. In order to do so, he must have dropped over 5 feet to the floor because there is nothing for him to really climb down. Oops. He was just fine and exploring the living room floor. He got under the couch and stayed there sweeping dust bunnies with his whiskers for a while. Every time I turned my back to grab something he would go somewhere else. We played peekaboo around the recliner, then he headed under the dining room table. When I turned to grab the blueberries from the living room where I left them he was gone again. I found him in the kitchen which is one of the best places he could go. I barricaded the dooway and he almost escaped, but I managed to keep him in the kitchen. He scootched behind the fridge as I made the barricade taller (he can jump over 4' straight up). I finally rattled my yard sick behind the fridge to chase him out and managed to get him. Not two minutes later DC called to say she had arrived to visit Kahlua. Whew!
We fed her diner and talked over a few things and got a little better organized. Come to find out she is a bit of a prima Donna about things. She hasn't eaten from a slow feed net, so I have her a flake of hay on the ground too. She wasn't eating it, and when I made a comment to DC about it she looked and said, oh, that's probably because C always fluffed it. She went over and began pulling the flake apart and made a big pile I'm the corner. Good grief! I couldn't believe she wouldn't touch the flake until it has been filed. Shed better figure out how to eat out of that net because I'm not going to fluff her hay every time I put it in the stall.
I don't know where I'm going to keep all this stuff for her either. She has a lot of things. She went ahead and paid me for next month, for which I am grateful.
I was pooped by the time She left and finally the bf texted to say he was on the way home.
The soup turned out fantastic and I made garlic cheese bread to go with it. I cleaned up the kitchen and we headed out to check in Kahlua again and give storm another bale of hay. I hope we can get another big bale out soon because they are going through little bales like crazy and that is such a waste of money!
We got attacked by a stink bug in the middle of the night. It started out in the bfs hair, and stunk on him. Then It ended up in the bed and I found it and threw it across the room. He had to get up and kill it to make sure it never returned! Hate stink bugs!
This morning I headed out to feed Kahlua and hoped to turn her out. I quickly found that anywhere that had been walked on before was now an ice slick. No way I could turn her out yet. I have her get breakfast, which she decided not to eat. They warned me she could go off her feed, so it isn't unexpected, but it is a little disconcerting. I gave her the pills by syringe and I think I got more on me than in her mouth but oh well.
I'm hoping it will warm up more and melt the snow some more so I can get her outside for a bit. If I don't get her out today She isn't going out tomorrow because of the rain and I really don't want to do that to her.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Were you able to get her out at all?

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yes! I had her out after about 11 yesterday and then brought her in when I feed her dinner at 5. I kept her in today because of the crazy rain but it's fine now and barely doing to freezing tonight so she is out now. She's still not eating great either. She picked at the hay but hasn't really eaten it.
The Wind blew the rain into the barn and got the bales wet so we'll have to use those up first. I might just keep throwing small bales and let things dry out more anyway.
As I was putting out the bale for the ones and storm, Kahlua for curious, so I gave her a flake of hay since what had been outside on the ground got wet (I had a hay bag out for her as well but I brought it in so it was dry). This bale was one from Ds bales, what I had given her before was from my bales, and she started eating that pretty quick. It is much softer than my hay, so I guess she likes that better. She'd better figure out how to eat my hay because that's what's in the big bales and I'm not getting anything else.
I worked Today making up for the snow day last week and it was a good day to be in the office. It was crazy foggy this morning, I couldn't see the other building across from us which can't even be a football field away from my 6th floor window. Then later it was raining so hard it disappeared again. Crazy weather. It cleared tonight which was nice.
I got home and did chores and then decided to take the bfs paycheck and put it in the bank for him. I was sure the bank closed at 7 in Friday. I wasted a whole tank of gas to find out they close at 6, I got there at ten after.
Second annoying thing was that I found the mail box open and half the mail very wet and half of it in the box wasn't even ours! I guess the mailman was in a hurry if it was raining but I had a package that really shouldn't have gotten wet. Thankfully it was ok but still. Not a nice thing to find.
All in all it was a pretty good day. The bf and I are going to dinner with a coupon I have from my birthday.
I think he's home now...

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Fog was really nasty around here as well. I know there was at least 1 fatal car accident not far from the farm. And, if I had gone that way to the farm, I could have been in it. I had been going to go that way, but changed my mind. It happen right around the time I would have gotten to that point.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yikes! Glad you listened to your intuition!
Today was pretty good. I spent too much time worrying about things last night and had a dream we turned Kahlua out with the ponies and storm and it was a disaster. That was a nightmare! I woke up again worrying and had a rough start. The bf made me forget about it for a while and so we had a nice start to the morning.
Headed out to feed and slipped on black ice. First time I've actually fallen all winter, I was really mad as I hate falling. I fell right down onto my worse knee. I spilled half of the buckets of grain too which made me even madder. I had to come in the house to get more water to soak the additional grain and took a second to put recovazon and spray release on my knee. When I looked at it out was already turning black and blue and I feared the worst.
Finished feeding, Kahlua ate some breakfast, and then I showed the bf how her legs need to be scrubbed. With all the mud we are getting I'm worried about them continuing to heal.
The gal I was meeting to talk about boarding, and it went well, though I really had no feeling on what her decision will be.
The bf was running errands and got back a while later. I made some phone calls while he was gone, including to the vet for Kahlua just to check in on some things to get a better feel for how I should handle her. I called DC back to give her an update on the snow and ice and talk to her a bit more. She is a high maintenance client to go with her high maintenance horse. Not my idea of fun but hopefully things will normalize into a routine soon enough.
D got here and so I headed out to check in with her about how to handle the ponies and Kahlua and she decided to try the ponies with her anyway which made me feel better in terms of ease of care. We decided that it will be better to let the pasture dry some more and get through the ice next week before putting Kahlua in with the herd, so we moved Spirit in with her tonight. The only downer is that they still have no shelter so if the weather is bad she'll have to go in her stall and he will go back with storm and bubbah. The paddock is a lot smoother than the pasture and slightly less muddy.
We finally were able to get a big bale out in the pasture and of course it's just bubbah and storm now. They were very happy to have it.
We headed out to get my friend's horses feed and it was nice not to have to throw hay more that they have a feeder from us :) I felt like I was forgetting something though!
Stopped by the creamery on the way home for milk and beef and a milkshake. Cappuccino chip and cookies and cream with Carmel sooo good!
Had to stop by the convenience store on the way home for bread because we were totally out and didn't make it to the store today. Guess that is on the list for tomorrow.
Relaxing now. Sad that we got out of the shower at 7:30 and I could have gone to bed!