hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
SS thank you for the suggestions. I feel like I have been running so far behind I can't get ahead to save my life!
Could you give me some of the recipes you use for the just add water meals? You have me curious now!
Yesterday I got the herbs planted at the farm! I'm so excited about that project! I also spray paint a rack to hold the t-shirts, started pruning the blueberries, and then we went and got a load of wood. We were busy! I'm a little stuff and site today from hauling the wood. Mostly because there was a little dogwood that was next to the downed tree and I kept having to duck while carrying wood and that did not feel good after a while.
Have to run a few errands this morning and then I'll be back on the farm. Supposed to have thunderstorms this afternoon So I guess we'll see what we get done.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Had a great weekend. Got to spend some great time with the bf. Saturday We ran errands and took care of some stuff that needed to be done. Sunday I headed over to the other farm and did morning chores. I am training someone new to do the job so it hopefully won't be much longer that I need to take care of that. It takes me away from being around here and getting stuff done with the bf. The money is nice but I don't have the time frankly. I collected some more things from the old house that were mine and got some stuff for the garden including the eclectic wire setup to keep the animals out of the garden, especially the roaming dogs. I love Ds dogs to death and miss my own but they aren't allowed I'm the garden! I'll just electrify it for a little extra incentive.
S tiled the need again for me so now we can make the box this week and get that all fixed up and ready to go so stuff can be planted in a few weeks.
I also had my first lesson of the year with my horse since November. It went really great and I am very happy with how he did and what we got accomplished. I am looking forward to getting back on track so I can start to ride again.
I need to get moving so I can spend the day on the farm and then tomorrow will need gaming with a friend. Is supposed to pour here for the next several days and I'm actually going for an inside day so I can get some cleaning done and the table skirt for the market table at the farm. I'm supposed to paint the be gives but I don't know how I'll do that if it's raining...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have yet to get on Misty this year. But, I'm about to the point where I need to be to spend the time I want w/the horses!

hqueen13

Reaction score
When you have to take care of the farm too it gets difficult to find the time to work!

I made really good soup for dinner last night but my stomach is NOT happy this morning. I don't know what is up with that because most of what I used was good quality ingrdients and everything seemed good. I put on some essential oils and am now drinking peppermint tea so hopefully it will settle down quickly!
Yesterday we were busy on the farm. I collected and washed eggs which was not good for my allergies. Then I started painting the Back of one of the sheds. I finally had to take a break for lunch. While I was working on that S was building a shelf for the crates for the CSA this year. That turned out really nice.
Ahh! Landlord just knocked on my site and will be back in an hour or so with someone to look at the Windows! Eek the house is a mess!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
H- Sorry it took me a while. Here are a couple recipes I use, I'll give the recipe as-is first, then list the modifications I made, for ideas.
Ground beef stroganoff: Qt jar, 2 3/4c macaroni. In a baggie in this jar, 1c dried mushrooms. Pt jar, 1/4c + 2T sour cream powder, 1c dry milk, 1/3c cornstarch, 2T ckn or beef bouillon, 1T dried minced onion, 1/2t dried basil, 1/2t dried thyme, 1/4t + 1/8t black pepper, 1T dried parsley, 1 1/2t garlic powder. Add on: 1 pt canned ground beef. 3c water
My version: 2qt jar: 3c macaroni, no mushrooms(my guys hate them), baggie with 1c dehydrated grd venison, keep the mix ingredients the same, but increase the onion to 3T and the garlic to 3T. Add a touch more water, to accommodate the grd venison. Pack everything tightly into the 2qt jar.
Chili Tomato Mac: Qt jar, 3c macaroni. Pt jar, 1/2c +2T dry milk, 1/3c cornstarch, 1T +1t ckn or beef bouillon, 2t dried minced onion, 1/4t +1/8t dried basil, 1/4t + 1/8t dried thyme, 1/8t black pepper, 2t dried parsley, 1t + 1/8t garlic powder, 2T chili powder. Add on: 1 pt canned grd beef, 3 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes, 3c water.
My version: 2qt jar. 3 1/2c macaroni. sub dehydrated grd venison, up water to 41/2c. Remove parsley, thyme and basil from seasoning. Add 1t mexican oregano, 1T pinto bean seasoning, 1T red pepper flakes, 1t dried jalapenos, 1t dried hot chilis. Up garlic to 1T. Add 1/2c tomato powder + 1/4c dehydrated tomatoes, chopped. Stuff all into 2qt jar, as before. Vacuum seal (poke pin holes in baggies first).
I make up jars for chicken & rice, and several different soups too, but those are not 'just add water' meals. Hope these give you some ideas!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Awesome, Thanks SS! I'll have to review these when I can get onto a computer and see them better. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.
Managed to get the house picked up and pleasurable for the window guy. The landlord was polite enough not to come in, which was kind of him. It looks like we're going to have new Windows to replace the 7 that are single pane and a window added up on the wall I'm the living room. I'm so excited! Now I need to search and see if I saved scraps from trimming off the bottom of the curtains so I can make a valence one the new window is in. I'm so relieved he is doing this. It will be so much more efficient now!
Back to yesterday's business... I finished the shed and then picked asparagus which was lovely. About that time S for back from the dump run but he missed getting compost loaded due to traffic. He was rather irritated. We jumped in the truck and headed to grab a load of wood from a place his landscaper found and happily it was all cut, all we had to do was load. It ended up being two loads of wood which made S happy. By the time we finished that I had to head out.
To my relief my hat guy had dropped off my bales so I made sure the bf knew to grab the bobcat on the way in. I fed the horses and then came back in and started dinner, which turned out great. I made cream of broccoli soup with bacon. That recipe is a keeper!
Today has been good, other than the flurry of getting things ready this morning. At least the house is mostly picked up. I only shoved a few things into hiding spots. I got to hang out with my friend L for the first time in a long time so that was nice. We had some nice long conversations about money and life which is always cool. I enjoy our time together even if we don't get to spend as much time hanging out as is like.
Since summer is leftover soup I think I'll work on cleaning a bit before the bf gets home.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yesterday was just gross outside. Today isn't any better really. I'm glad I can spend most of the day inside. Today is make the table skirt day and then work on painting the bee hives. I hope that I can get a few house chores done along the way too But I guess we'll see what happens. Picking up yesterday helped a lot. I did manage to get part of the bathroom clean, which hasn't happened in way too long, I'm embarrassed to say. I was pleased to get that done, at least the big parts. Still have to wipe things down a little big the big scrubbing is done. Now I'd I can get some more stuff done in this house I'll be doing good!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:ya on new windows! We need to put in 7 more new ones here - a couple at a time, cuz they are weird sized and in a block house, so resizing is all but impossible for us. I am always amazed at the difference decent windows make.
I think you have now guilted me into getting some house cleaning done - gee, thanks for that! :lol:

hqueen13

Reaction score
Lol Well don't feel too guilty because I haven't gotten much done since then!
Yesterday work was busy. But what else is new? I got a number of things done and caught up so at least that was helpful. I was featured by the time I got home. I forgot to get beef out of the freezer yesterday morning so it was spaghetti for dinner which turned into elbows with sauce because we don't have any more actual spaghetti noodles. Oops. I just went to the grocery store! I don't want to go again! I seriously need to start doubling recipes so we have more leftovers.
Gotta get going and get over to the farm today so I can paint the bee hives. They'll be fun when I'm through with them! I'm excited but afraid of how much I can get done today. There are 3 hives with one box on them each and he has a lot more supers that can go on top. I guess we'll see how far I get.
For lots to do this weekend. Delivering a hay feeder tomorrow and hopefully picking up rain barrels too. I've got to get the water speed from flowing into my garden because it's wearing away at everything. It will be much better to be able to put it on when I want slowly!
I guess I'd better get moving...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The cast iron trick is great for a quick defrost ;)
My guys have a weird dislike of elbow macaroni - freaks! :p To me, noodles are noodles!