HRT advice needed

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
Take a look at what I said about Chaste Tree Berry in this thread.
Wow - foggy brain, overly emotional...yup, sounds like me at the moment. CTB & black cohash, sounds like they might be the way to go...I was expecting the hot flashes & night sweats, not the brain-craziness. I am not a PMS-y person at all, so this is quite distressing. :/

Thanks so much, MTN...I haven't forgotten my little donation for Daisy, as you can see I got a little side-tracked. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not a problem! Daisy can wait--you need to take care of yourself.

(btw, she is closer to me than my shadow--it's like she even anticipates my getting up, and is at my side WHEREVER I go. I love her!!!!)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UNC chapel hill is supposed to be very good why the but?

if ya have to take a few more pain pills...LOL...you will get thru this without going crazy :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No wonder you are feeling depressed if the surgery was, in a sense, forced upon you. You might want to discuss an anti-depressant with your doctor, just to get you over this initial feeling. There are various herbs (like the black cohosh mentioned already) that have proven effective for some. Do some research, and/or check out if you have a naturopath in your area.
I can think of a number of reasons why I, personally, would choose not to take HRT, but a return of my cycle would not be one of them - if your uterus is gone you will not be having another period, whatever you take.
(Please take anything I say on this subject with a grain of salt - I admit to having had the good fortune to never have been much bothered with PMS or other period issues, and menopause hasn't been much more than the occasional "warm" flash ;))

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ever read the book "what your doctor may not tell you about menopause?"
I'm reading it now. They believe in NATURAL progesterone like wild yam cream
I have used wild yam cream in the past for hormonal issues and major fibrocistic breast problems with great relsults...and think I am goin back to wild yam cream for menopause as well. It has always done me good.
I personally would not fall for the HRT charade either...the book will explain why...not good stuff at all.
Hope this helps

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't have any advice to offer, just :hugs. When I had my hysterectomy, they left my ovaries.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
:hugs Sounds like the depression is only half from the hormones shifting fast. You weren't comfortable emotionally with getting the surgery and got pressured into it. That's a pretty good reason for being depressed. Maybe a little counseling would help since your " best ally" is not available right now.
This sounds like a great time for chocolate.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the :hugs & good wishes...I felt a little better yesterday evening but am back in the doldrums this morning, don't feel like even getting out of bed. :(

FC - UNC is supposed to be "the best", as is my surgeon...but I feel my "aftercare" (is that a real word?) is lacking...I mean, the pieces were cut out, now I'm just set adrift...I guess it's at least partially my own fault, I'm a surgery-virgin & had no idea what to expect, & focused so much on the surgery itself that I didn't ask a lot of questions about what happens next...

ORChick - just the ovaries were removed, still have the uterus...but never considered that I would still have cycles...feeling pretty stupid about it now...

About feeling pressured...Some background: my mom died of ovarian cancer when she was about my age, that's what started all this...my CA 125 blood tests kept going up-up-up, ultrasounds were inconclusive or contradictory...the doctors (4 of 'em) said, what're you waiting for, just take 'em out already...family/friends were scared to death I was dying...I pushed back for almost a year, I did NOT want to do this...I guess this is what you might call buyer's remorse...? :/

DL - just to add to the stress - we actually DO have chocolate in the house but I have NO appetite!!

Left a message for my ob/gyn yesterday but she was in surgery so never got back to me...I was in tears talking to her nurse, begging for some kind of relief (emotion-wise) for the weekend...I've taken anti-depressants in the past (it's been about 10 years), I know they take some time to kick in...:hit

I know I should close down this pity-party & do some more research, but getting motivated is tough.

Thanks again, ya'll. All your advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :)

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I highly recommend the CTB. My hormones were getting so bad I also was experiencing hormonal depression. I feel a million times better. So far that I can tell CTB has helped all of my hormone issues. My mom is going through menopause right now and she has been taking it regularly and it really helps her a lot. My mom would be almost unbearable without the CTB.

Because one of my biggest issues was low estrogen (how is that possible in this estrogen dominated world I don't know but I had low estrogen) so in some ways I felt like I was going through menopause, I just turned 25 on the 12th! Anyways, I'm going to be telling everyone about CTB because I have tried all kinds of natural hormone stuff and it never worked. But the CTB is working beautifully!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, CoT...My BIL called earlier today, while I was in the midst of a crying jag, so he put SIL on the phone...apparently "a friend of a friend" is an herbalist, so she's going to make a couple of calls for me to see what they recommend...definitely going to ask about CTB. Trouble is, we live in "the sticks" so have to find someone who'll make a trip to WF for me (I'm not supposed to be driving yet).

My neighbor (she's been feeding the critters for me, bless her heart) dropped off some Walmart "Estroblend", has anyone tried it? It has a variety of things, vitamins & such, plus cranberry extract, black cohosh, green tea extract, etc.

Latest posts