HRT advice needed

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I haven't had a hysterectomy. I DID have HRT - I hit menopause (or rather it hit me) in a BIG way a few years ago. No one ever warned me about the brain fog. Hot flashes yes, brain fog no.

I was in school when it hit and went from being an A student to a C- student over the period of a summer. Went on a medical leave from school to get things figured out. It sucked - the apathy of depression, the lack of motivation, just no ability to focus, no ability to remember *anything*, couldn't read an article much less a book. The worst part was - my life *rocked* and I couldn't appreciate it because of this craziness. Finally met with a pshrink cuz my doc said the pshrink is better trained to prescribe appropriate meds for such things. The pshrink was this awesome older woman who talke with me, told my doc what tests to do, and then said "your brain is estrogen deprived".

We tried a pill, and that helped a little, but I wasn't feeling like it was right. Then we tried the patch and OMG it was AWESOME! It was like the sunlight finally coming out after months of clouds! I could think. I could *want*. I got my brain back, I got my life back!

I used the patch for a bit over a year and a half to get through school (went back to school and back to getting As). Finally went off after I graduated cuz I didn't want to be on long-term. But - I will say that for that year and half, it was invaluable.

I like using herbal stuff when I can. But in this case, the cohosh and evening primrose and all that stuff just wasn't cutting it. The patch was what got my brain working again. Now - I don't seem to need it anymore. But for the time I needed it, I was glad it was there.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro - I'm so sorry, you didn't say whether your condition is cureable, I pray that it is & that you're responding to treatment.

My depression hits me in waves; sometimes it's absolutely crushing, other times I'm just "blue"...Funny, I'm not getting hot flashes; if anything, I'm cold most of the time! :/ But, as others have pointed out, it affects everyone differently.

AnnaRaven, the brain-fog really gets to me...my boss called me yesterday about something work-related, & I felt like I could barely string two coherent words together...I was listening to myself talk & felt like I sounded like an idiot. Maybe not, but that's how it felt to me internally. I also have no appetite & no energy...I am usually up & wide awake at 5, 5:30am...now I'm still sleeping at 7:30, when my neighbor comes to feed the critters.

(Just to add to the depression - found out during the conversation with my boss that no one is doing my work while I've been out, meaning I'm going to come back to a mess. :hit )

I just really need to figure out what's right for me...:/

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, my cancer isn't curable, but at least it's stable. It's been just sitting there being annoying for the past few months, but at least it isn't growing! Thanks for your concern.:)

My advice is to PAMPER YOURSELF! That mess at work? It will still be there. Dirty dishes? Messy catboxes? They'll all still be there whether you are sleeping late or not. So why not sleep late?! It's not going to be permanent. You're just taking a short break from life as you know it.

Play the surgery card shamelessly. "Oh, I forgot to do that? Sorry, but I just had surgery!" Annoying salesman at the door? "Sorry, can't buy anything, I just had surgery!" (If he persists, offer to show him photos of it) In other words, this is a time to NOT feel guilty about being just a bit self-absorbed. It's not something you probably want to do for the rest of your life, perhaps, but it sure makes a nice break from reality for a while! And everyone will forgive you ("after all, she just had surgery") and if there is anyone who gets grumpy about it (hubby, kids, whatever), they will look bad for hassling someone who just had surgery.;)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro said:
Play the surgery card shamelessly. "Oh, I forgot to do that? Sorry, but I just had surgery!" Annoying salesman at the door? "Sorry, can't buy anything, I just had surgery!" (If he persists, offer to show him photos of it) In other words, this is a time to NOT feel guilty about being just a bit self-absorbed. It's not something you probably want to do for the rest of your life, perhaps, but it sure makes a nice break from reality for a while! And everyone will forgive you ("after all, she just had surgery") and if there is anyone who gets grumpy about it (hubby, kids, whatever), they will look bad for hassling someone who just had surgery.;)
Okay, raro, that made me LOL. :D

I admit, I am enjoying the not working & having people do things for me. ;) Hey, there's gotta be some benefit to all this!

DH said something snarky to me in front of my neighbor who was over helping...then for some reason, he got upset with me for then calling him an a**hole...I countered with, "How can you be so mean to me when you know how bad I've been feeling??" (i.e., depression, pain, etc). Got an immediate apology for that one. Also, I think his brother has counseled him on "how to live with menopausal women." :p

I just wish I had a couple weeks off of work & felt well enough to really enjoy it...:/

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't envy you. :hugs My mom had a full hyst when she was in her late 30's and was put on HRT for years. I don't think it did her any favors and she wished she would have known about the natural alternatives back then. Also look into St Johns Wort for depression and exercise when you're healed up. SJW works as well or better that prescriptions in many studies without all the awful side effects. Regular exercise and vitamin D3 has taken care of my depression problems. (THAT one I do know about as I was put on several different ones with horrible results--talk about MAKE a sane person crazy...)

no-way

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
you can get bio-identical estrogen called "Estradiol" for about $10.00 for a three months supply at most drug stores like walmart etc.
A good web site for those of you that have had a hysterectomy is hystersisters.com

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No kidding? Hmm. I'll have to check that out this weekend.