Is it really that hard?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alberta didn't have any sales tax until we got the federal GST in the 90s, about which we had no choice. :rolleyes: But groceries aren't taxed, only junk food and restaurant meals.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i personally thnk taxng junk s fine but i do admit i do have an issue with having my nesecities taxed...id rather that 5.5% be added onto the shelf price if they had to so i at least KNOW exactly what im paying as im going along (im not good at "running" math, my head cant keep track of the old numbed vs the new number and i end up having to recount my cart every time put somethng new n THEN remember to add the tax which is even worse lol.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's when a calculator can come in handy. :/

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
i personally thnk taxng junk s fine but i do admit i do have an issue with having my nesecities taxed...id rather that 5.5% be added onto the shelf price if they had to so i at least KNOW exactly what im paying as im going along (im not good at "running" math, my head cant keep track of the old numbed vs the new number and i end up having to recount my cart every time put somethng new n THEN remember to add the tax which is even worse lol.
Me too.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'd rather just not have any tax, but I guess we have to give the gubberment their share. :/

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Alberta didn't have any sales tax until we got the federal GST in the 90s, about which we had no choice. :rolleyes: But groceries aren't taxed, only junk food and restaurant meals.
Yep.. that's the same as us, except that they blended the GST with our provincial tax so we pay 13% on prepared foods, restaurant stuff, and junk... but nothing on groceries.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
im with you on that deb...sales tax was odd to me in general, in the uk the tax (or VAT) is added into the sticker price, so while you re still paying tax, you know exactly what your paying when you buy an item, theres no "hey 3.99..." then get to the regster and add on "oh + 5.5%" lol
im still not used to sales tax in general but taxing on food (real food, as i sad dont mind taxing the junk) seems...well it seams like cheating to me...its like im not only paying someone for the product...but paying for the prilvedge of eating too lol
its like hey...wanna not be hungry?! yeah? theres a tax on that.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
In Jersey, there's no tax on real food or clothing. They're considered necessities, so they're not taxed. Everything is is considered a luxury, so it's taxed.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know, I realize every area is different but I've been feeding my family, buying pet food, getting toiletries and cleaning supplies on $35 per person per week (or less) for years. There was a time when we had to get food stamps and we never ate better! I even stocked up on what I could. I watched sales, bought in bulk when I could and used coupons. I would buy a few "treats", but only after I knew the basics were taken care of. I think maybe if you get food stamps you should have to go to at least 1 class on how to shop and make them last. :idunno Some people "get it" and some don't I guess.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wld be great if you could share an average weekly menu...

My biggest problem is making a varied menue...so im always looking for mela pans to make alittle go a long way BUT i hate eating the same thing over andover and over...
Im also very limited in temrs of "the fillers" i cant do alot of rice, and beans can be a big issue due to gas build up (not a good thing after the surgery) so then it comes down to "well i have all these chicken thighs...but what do i put with them?! LOL.