Is Our Economy Going To Crash?

Is our economy going to crash?

• It is going to crash hard, all at once.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It will be a slow gradual decline.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is crashing now and is already in decline.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • My personal economy already has crashed.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My personal econony ain't doing so hot.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • We will have a depression worse then the 1930's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Our econony is wonderful.

• There will be no crash, how ridiculous!

• My personal economy has never been better!

• There will be no depression.

• Total voters

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is an open discussion on our economy. What is your opinion and please no flaming arguments. I listen to the news, read, read some more, study, dig deep trying to learn all I can, and I am convinced that we have some hard times coming. It doesn't matter which side wins the upcoming election, this country is in too deep to climb out and drastic measures will come. I believe at this point we have to take precautions as best as we can to take care of ourselves, our family, friends and community. Many of us already prep because that is kinda like SS anyway, but this is not about prepping. Countries around the world are already experiencing crashing economies and aren't in as deep of debt as we are. What makes us think that only other countries have to pay for what their self serving politicos have done while we skip off happily into the sunset? It seems like much of the world has been in party mode and the consequences are just starting to show up. The part that pisses me off so bad is that those who put us here won't be the ones to pay the consequences, we will. And our children, grand children and when will it ever end and get better?

If I sound on the dark side instead of my usual cheery self, it is just the part of me that doesn't ignore reality. Yes, I do keep a happy attitude, but I stand square and face what is coming head on. No blinders, no ponies and rainbows, I just learned a long time ago that that a good attitude goes a long way in dealing with hard times.

So, what is your opinion? Let's get the party started!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMO it's been obvious for years that the SWHTF, just when will it go into high gear is the question. I don't think we will see a "bank's are closed" situation anytime soon but, everything has been going in the wrong direction for a long, long time.

Sadly one real issue is that in today's world, many have NO IDEA how to survive once the "hand that feeds them" stops the $$$ flow. Some don't even know that you can put a dried bean in the ground and it will grow more beans! The alternatives of violence can be seen already, for far less problems than economic.

LIFE is so different now. When you don't even know (even by sight) your neighbors and prep for nothing, you are in trouble. The family -- as it was once known -- is not often seen now. Personally I feel it is one reason the general population has lost many values & structure. Our tech media has taken over & can be so very impersonal & dangerous, as much as it can be an awesome method to connect. The World has issues & hate.

I believe that I need to go feed the goats & chickens -- less stress.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow Bee, that did come across a little hard. I know you didn't mean it to sound that way, so no offense taken. I love you and appreciate the wisdom you bring to the forum. Yes, I have worldly goods, am I rich? I don't consider myself to be so, but in comparison to others less fortunate, I suppose I could be considered "rich." At the same time, I only have to look next door or across the road to see homes MUCH "richer" than ours. We sold a home much nicer than this mobile home and paid for it and the 8 acres it sets on. We sold some land and paid for the improvements we wanted to make here. Both the previous home and land were the result of years of going to work, making the payments, doing without, and finally getting it paid for. Everything that we have, we have worked hard for. We've been up and we've been down. We've had plenty and we've been so broke that the electricity was cut off. Through it all, God saw to it that we never missed a meal. We never went hungry and while we had hard times, we also had good times. We consider ourselves blessed.

We give God the credit for our present home, for finding buyers for our land and previous home, both handled without a realtor. Throughout the whole process of buying a new home, selling and moving, God had his hand in it all. We were led here, maybe to be a blessing and help to our community. Maybe we are supposed to be here, because hard times are certainly coming. There are families near us with small children. There are older couples living near us. Black, white, Hispanic and even native Americans in the mix that makes us a community. The knowledge we have on being "self sufficient" "self reliant", "self sustaining", or" self anything" might come in handy in helping our community survive. Cut off the paycheck on most families and they will be hungry in short order.

Am I worried? You bet I am. Can I do anything about it? Some, no. Some, yes. I will work hard to be prepared, not to hunker down and to heck with everyone else, but to be able to help others in my community that need help. I sure can't help anyone else if I can't help myself. Our own daughter and family is the reason we are here. If the economy goes to crap, they will be hurt badly by it. Both of them are educated and have the student loans to prove it. That's how it is in today's world. You go to the dance, you pay the fiddler. And pay and pay and pay...... The old saying, God helps those that help themselves.....might I add.... God helps those who help themselves AND who help others.

When we talk about being or becoming self sufficient, it doesn't come from a selfish place. It comes from a wiser place of knowing that we are to be prepared. Remember the story of the wise and foolish virgins? Matthew 25: 1-13 Christ gave warning to be prepared when he comes. I try my best to be prepared for when He comes or when I leave this world. In the meantime, I live in this world and I try to be prepared for whatever might come. I can't control the economy. I can't control inflation. I can't control wars. What the world leaders do is not for our benefit, but for theirs. For every one of us that are on this forum or others like it, there are hundreds of thousands more that don't have a clue. I can't help them all, but I can help those around me.

I say all this in explanation so that you understand that the "self" in SS doesn't necessarily mean selfish, but prepared. Prepared for what? We don't even know what is coming down the road, but we know something is coming, it's not good, and we don't want to be caught living out in La-La Land when it hits. At our present rate of debt, we as a country cannot continue on this road to rack and ruin. Bee, you are right in saying that forums can be difficult to get our point across. So please don't be offended by what I have written, you are a valued member here and I always look forward to your postings.

So stocking up on things that we use gives me a certain peace of mind. How can stocking up be a bad thing, when through the dreams of Pharaoh, Joseph interpreted them, stocked up for the coming famine, and saved nations, most notably his own family? God is giving me the ability to see beyond all the ponies and rainbows spouted by the country's inept leaders so that we can be a benefit to our selves, our family, our neighbors and our community. The growing pile of canning supplies might help a family have something to eat. The garden seeds might help a family grow something to eat. Stocking up? You bet we are. Doing all we can to be able to take care of ourselves when, and I say when not if, the economy goes to crap? You bet we are. We won't be a burden on our community, but a help to our community. The Lord is showing us the warning signs, who is paying attention?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My economy stays in a pretty constant state, no matter what's going on out there in the world, so much so that I didn't even know that anything had happened in 2008....someone had a thread on here asking if we were doing anything different since 2008 and I had to ask what happened then. :D

I never really think about it, nor do I listen to the news or read the news, nor do we have TV. It just doesn't concern me much, nor has it ever. I just live my life and adjust to the changes as best I can, trusting God to handle the rest. His Grace is sufficient for me! :love

Matthew 6 talks about such things and tells me not to worry, so I don't. :weee

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I did not mean to imply you were blessed because of the way you choose to live your life as far as meeting your daily physical needs, but because what appears to be a gift of rock solid faith and the way this faith appears to have allowed you to live in such a carefree, joyous way as you tell us you do.

However, saying this forum has no basis in reality, and that folks like us depend on the world's riches and goods to give us peace of mind, is quite harsh IMO, and the latter certainly an incorrect presumption on your part.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with Bay....God guides us to help ourselves & others.

The drive to do so is not from anyone else and it was planted there when we were young to learn and grow with the seeds of wisdom being given to us. SS does not mean exclusion but inclusion, sharing and teaching (IMO). Sharing & teaching are within this forum and you, Bee, are meant to be a part of it otherwise God would not have guided you here.

I believe we are to help ourselves (includes personal self, blood and extended families of the community). God helps those who help themselves, right? :love

So it seems sad that you do not post as much as you have been so blessed with ability, experience, good health and your daily needs. Much of this could be shared to help others become as blessed and thankful for that. I enjoy your posts and the wisdom that you put before us, your crafts, & your calming lifestyle. It encourages me to push myself to do more of the things I should. -- which includes thanking Him for the things I have. Sometimes replies are quick & may not have sounded soft or kind, just typed what came to mind. Always easier when we are face to face. ;):hugs

Last edited:

Jshubin

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am not a pessimistic person and I would like populations of the world to become wiser, modest and sustainable but....

There is a good chance the economy could collapse, it has fallen many times throughout history in every civilization that I know of. Ultimately humanity has survived through these events even when the social fabric tears. I want to make sure my family and I survive. It is selfish but I am more animalistic in my motivations. I am not religious. I want to ensure my genetics continue on through my offspring. I believe in survival of the fittest and prepping for such events will ensure we are fit to survive.

Human overpopulation is the worst it has ever been and economies are supporting all these people (including me). If the economic situation turns upsidedown many people will become hungry and desperate. I dont want this to happen to us and I want to be able to defend against any desperate aggression (or even help someone who is desperate). So I am doing what it takes to be more self-sufficient and helping my family/friends do the same.

**Self-sufficient in my opinion could mean a community of people, not just myself. It could be a family unit or even my neighbors or the entire town working together to support eachother. I think humans have an optimal community size and I believe it is somewhere between 30-150 people, much like a village.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - Why did you have to remind me?????? OMG - worst couple days of my life. DH and I left early with trailer carrying goats/horses and made to our 'safe' destination in east texas. Yep - we went from the frying pan to the fire. Absolutely NOTHING hit the area where our house sits - didn't even lose power. My poor son did 28 hours on the road and never got north of Houston. He traveled less than 40 miles in that amount of time. Had it hit our area while he and tens of thousands (conservative number) were on the road - I shudder to think what that outcome might have been. He had his bird with him and the bird died from heat.

DH and I - our evacuation place was straight to east Texas to his parents house between Livingston and Woodville. We caught the brunt of the storm while there!

Lesson learned: I won't run from a hurricane again unless it's above a Cat 3. I'll hunker down and ride it out. Of course Rita was a Cat 5 for awhile hence our run.

And, I'd do the same thing in the event of civil unrest.

It brings up the question of how far one would go to protect what's ours. I've always believed that it would be better to help as many folks as we could. Come to me and ask for help... I'll put you to work for a couple hours and then give you a meal. I don't want to kill, or die for, a can of green beans!

My theory is the more people who can band together the better off they will be. We have good neighbors. We are all country folk and as such, are perhaps just by virtue of our lifestyle, prepared more than the average folks. We have extra food - both in the pantry and on the hoof. Can we protect ourselves - yep. Do we have generators - yes. Extra fuel - yes. Will it last forever - no. :( DH and I are investigating solar for the well pump. We keep 'talking' about it - but we haven't taken action. Hope we get to it before it's too late.