Is Our Economy Going To Crash?

Is our economy going to crash?

• It is going to crash hard, all at once.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It will be a slow gradual decline.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is crashing now and is already in decline.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • My personal economy already has crashed.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My personal econony ain't doing so hot.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • We will have a depression worse then the 1930's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Our econony is wonderful.

• There will be no crash, how ridiculous!

• My personal economy has never been better!

• There will be no depression.

• Total voters

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm enjoying all these responses. I too trust in God for my provision but I think He also wants us to see the signs of the times. Has he sent me a prophet like Joseph to warn of famine. Well no, but then again we have television and the internet. I have been doing a little dehydrating. I also have been watching videos on foraging for wild foods. I was raised learning about poke salad, nuts and fruits, along with fishing and hunting. I don't like to, but I can skin and butcher a deer, rabbit, squirrel, clean fish, cook on coals. I also feel confident that I could make soap and have had first aid classes and know herbal remedies. Does this make me less faithful, I think not. I really believe that this desire to learn is coming from God. I feel more and more that time is short. I worry about my family that doesn't believe in Jesus more than I worry about the SHTF scenario. I still think it makes since to be able to see your family through emergencies no matter what they are, terrorist attack, economy crashing, solar flare, hurricane, earthquake, etc. I like to watch Big Family Homestead blog and YouTube videos. I think Brad from Big Family is a good example of preparation and faith. Like my faith, my prepping skills are growing.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can see you both missed the point of my post. I'm not blessed because I am in any way "self sufficient"...I'm blessed because God's grace for me is sufficient~I can trust Him to care for me, no matter what happens to the economy, to my health, to my existence.

There is no such thing in this world as being "self sufficient" nor "self reliant, self sustaining, or self anything" and I recognized that years ago, which is another reason I kind of drifted away from this forum. It has no basis in reality.

You are worried, and rightly so, because you depend on this world's riches and goods to give you peace of mind and they cannot be depended upon. I have never been overly "blessed" with the riches of this world, but am very deeply blessed with the riches of my real Home, my Heavenly one. Compared to the riches of this world...well...there's simply no comparison.

The difference? I don't have to worry. About anything. Not dying and especially not about living. About one thing you are both correct...I am very and truly blessed, but it has nothing to do with myself nor my Earthly circumstances.
You are so right. My daughter and I aren't materially rich. But we are rich in faith. We have hens, garden, learning to preserve our harvest. But don't worry about news and such, we know God has us. :)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually, I could have voted for 3 out of the first 6 choices.

Politics aside, no matter who wins the Presidential election, I believe our economy will crash along with the rest of the world, and not too far in the distant future, and there will be chaos and anarchy...which has already begun. You cannot have the world economic leader almost 20 Trillion in debt and sustain our economy. I believe our country is at a point of no return; that it will get much worse before it gets better. I also believe the struggle between good and evil will escalate. I believe my "golden years" will be anything but golden. I also believe that most citizens, of our country and other affluent countries, are completely out of touch...more interested in the latest app or movie or their next lay, while forming their world views from sound bites and social media and wanting a free handout or the easy life. I don't blame "those that put us here", but us. We allowed it. As a whole, we have not learned from history while we are too caught up in our own pleasures and give little attention to reality. I just put the Colossal Security Pack from Seeds for Security (http://www.seedforsecurity.com/) in my freezer this afternoon. I ordered it last week. Next is dehydrated 25 year food, a wood stove, some solar power and water purification items, and 2 law enforcement pump shotguns. Some may make fun of this, but I am not going to wait for our government in case of an emergency, which I believe is inevitable. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This morning we purchased 2 - Mossberg Maverick 88 shotguns. We have been talking about getting them for a long time.

We went into the sporting goods store to buy a couple of pouches of Mountain House Freeze Dried, 25 year food. After reading about so many of these survival food companies, I kept seeing that Mountain House is the "gold standard". But, before buying a supply, we wanted to try a couple of them. We decided to try the Chili Mac with Beef and the Spaghetti with Meat Sauce. We will most likely end up buying at least a 3 month supply to have on hand as "insurance", however we also will be able to rely on our canned goods, and we are going to buy an Excalibur Dehydrator and start dehydrating and vacuum sealing our own food as well. I would love to get a freeze dryer, but they cost about $4000.

Well, anyway, while we were in the store, we decided to look at the shotguns. We had narrowed it down to the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500. After spending time with the salesman, we settled on the Maverick 88 which is a less expensive version of the 500. I hope we never have to use them to protect ourselves and our property, but feel good that we now have 2 good home security shotguns.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses, my grandparents lived much the same way on their farm in Virginia. Like you, some of my fondest memories were visits to that homestead, and probably shaped much of the way I am now.

OK, unlike Nanny & Papa who didn't have one, I just purchased our Excalibur Dehydrator. Model 3926TB. The best price I could find was at Cabela's, and I got it for $215 including tax and shipping. It's due to arrive next week. Now, I can get rid of that old one we've had for so long.

3926tb_angle_open_pullout__copy.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed you are blessed in that you live a self sufficient life. Many are not as fortunate as you and a rumble in the country's economy will hurt and hurt deeply.

I can see you both missed the point of my post. I'm not blessed because I am in any way "self sufficient"...I'm blessed because God's grace for me is sufficient~I can trust Him to care for me, no matter what happens to the economy, to my health, to my existence.

There is no such thing in this world as being "self sufficient" nor "self reliant, self sustaining, or self anything" and I recognized that years ago, which is another reason I kind of drifted away from this forum. It has no basis in reality.

You are worried, and rightly so, because you depend on this world's riches and goods to give you peace of mind and they cannot be depended upon. I have never been overly "blessed" with the riches of this world, but am very deeply blessed with the riches of my real Home, my Heavenly one. Compared to the riches of this world...well...there's simply no comparison.

The difference? I don't have to worry. About anything. Not dying and especially not about living. About one thing you are both correct...I am very and truly blessed, but it has nothing to do with myself nor my Earthly circumstances.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love my Excalibur! I didn't get the square solid sheets that fit the shelves, but I use the circular ones from my old dehydrator; they fit inside all right and saved me some money. Besides fruit leather, I like using them to dehydrate extra eggs for winter when the ducks don't lay as regularly. The Excalibur dries them so quickly that I don't really worry about bacteria growing in the raw eggs (although I make sure the eggs are cooked THOROUGHLY when I used the dried ones). Plus, the Excalibur's design lends itself to conversion to solar drying if electricity isn't available (sort of like this picture)
Large-solar-dehydrator.jpg

I've been convinced that we are heading for an economic crisis for several years. I read Ferfal's descriptions of life after the crash in Argentina and used that as a measure of what to expect. One thing he mentions is that electricity and other utilities became unreliable as the utility companies didn't have the money to maintain their equipment the way they used to. Since I couldn't afford solar power, I've concentrated on non-electric as much as possible (which also means less reliance on natural gas since that needs electricity to deliver it). We got a wood stove this year, and are in the process of getting a manual pump for our well that will slide in next to the electric one.

The biggest thing we did to help us through the crash is to become debt free. In the event of a major crash and anarchy, we could get by without any money expenditure except property tax (even if the government falls, you can bet your life there will be SOMEBODY with their hand out and backed by bully boys)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Beekissed, I don't worry about an economic disaster or the world unraveling. I just wish to be prepared because I truly think it is going to happen. If we lost our jobs, our business, and our "toys" over an economic crash, I would be happy enough to plant and hunt, preserve some of the bounty, have some kind of roof over my head, a bit of heat when it gets cold and the ability to defend these simple things. In fact, I feel a simpler life like that is preferably. But, I do understand what you are saying, and you make sense. I think we just are looking at different sides of the same coin...for lack of a better analogy. Perhaps the difference is if there were to be an economic disaster today, you would be fine with it, while I have some work to do yet to be fine with it. I'm newer at this. That does not mean I am worried.

You are so right about the difficulty at times communicating in a forum, and I, too, am not always the best at it! So, forgive me too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know for how long this has been so but, you can buy food plants & seeds with an EBT card. In my area I have seen a few do this, mainly older persons. Most young ones won't get their hands dirty. It's a shame that our society has evolved to this. The violence is just unreal -- I'm tired of hearing about the ride by shootings every day.

Yes, I see worsening of all these situations and am working to be prepared to weather it, however I need. At least I won't have so much of the "what do I do now?" that City folk will. ;) I won't enjoy the issues when they are full blown but, will survive them in better shape than those not prepared for alternative lifestyles.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lived in a small town 75 miles north of Houston, Texas. 3weeks after hurricane Katrina wiped out New Orleans, hurricane Rita headed for Houston. People fled in fear. Hundreds of thousands of people hit the roads and it was awful. A 1-1/2 hour trip took 22 to 28 hours. People ran out of gas, cars overheated (it was 100 degrees) and several people died from heat in their cars. They were supposed to go past our town and spread out over east Texas, but most didn't get there. Our town, as well as all the little towns around Houston, were over run. We, as a town, opened our schools and churches and sheltered people. We shared our food and did the best we could. Fortunately, the storm didn't hit Houston and people were able to go back home. It did roar through our town, knocking out power and adding to the general miserable conditions. No power-no gas. It was an experience. We have since moved 160 miles north.

So if you think that you need to get to safety if a bad situation hit near you, you need to get out as soon as you can. Beat the crowd and run. Everybody else is going to have the same idea, trying to get to somewhere safe, even if they don't know where they are going.