Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Guineas are here!!
image.jpg

These came from cackle hatchery. Ordered 15 and they sent 17. All arrived alive. They are st run hatchery choice and they ended up sending 1 white, 2 royal purple, 2 pearl grey, and 12 lavender. They sure are cute, and tiny. They won't stay little for long though I'm sure.

Last edited:

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I picked some squash today
image.jpg

Got it in the freezer and ready to eat another day. The zucchini is getting ready to come in also. My mom had the first one tonight and said it was really good. I'm going to pick a few to cook tomorrow night. All the rain and sunshine we've been having lately is really helping the garden. Last night we got lettuce, cucumbers and a few cherry tomatoes for a simple salad and grilled squash with green bell peppers and green onions all from the garden. I'm really happy with how it's turned out. Not to shabby for our very first garden. :D
I got tired of waiting on the ducks to get in the pond so me and hubby herded them in tonight :hide
image.jpg

Once they got in they decided that they actually did like it and started splashing, diving and having a great time. That is until the catfish heard the splashing, probably thought we were feeding them and came to investigate and scared the ducks to death. They came flying out of the pond. My ducks are scared of fish!:lol:
In other news, no one claimed the stray pup. So my brothers girlfriend named him Panda and he goes between my house and my parents. I suppose we will share ownership until/if we find him a new home. Here he is:
image.jpg

He still needs to gain a lot if weight, but he's looking much better than when he showed up and was all skin and bones. He's become Bella's (my beagle pup) new best friend and they play all day long.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This summer has really flown by. I processed my meat chickens a few weeks back. I've still got a few Rhode Island Red extra roosters that I need to do but a friend who lives down the road from me wants to come watch/help so she can learn how. I recently took that same friend to a canning class at the local extension office. She wanted me to teach her but I've only been canning a year and felt they could teach it better. She didn't want to go alone so I went and learned a few new tips and tricks. I finally got my goats! I got two does and one buck; Nubians. The does are both in milk so that's been fun. Going to try to make some things with the milk once the kids start school in a few weeks. I'm thinking soap to start with and then maybe cheese. Garden hasn't done well this year. All the rain ended up killing all the crookneck squash and zucchini and most of my cucumbers. Guess I won't be canning any pickles this year :/ I'm canning what tomatoes i have right now. They didn't do near as well as last year but I suppose I should be happy I have enough to can. A local friend lost every one of her Tom plants from the rain.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning! !!

It's always refreshing to see someone who is so excited about getting started in being self sufficient.

I have a couple question, Do you have a well, out buildings, a wood stove?? Which books have you been reading?

Gina

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good morning! !!

It's always refreshing to see someone who is so excited about getting started in being self sufficient.

I have a couple question, Do you have a well, out buildings, a wood stove?? Which books have you been reading?

Gina

Hello Gina! I don't have a well on my property however my property borders my parents property which is a little over 100 acres with a well on it, that I have unlimited access to. I do have outbuildings on my property. I just turned one old outbuilding into a chicken coop! I have plans on getting an outside wood burning stove. The books I've been reading are: Storeys basic country skills, root cellaring by mike and nancy bubel, Handy farm devices and how to make them by Rolfe Cobleigh. Also I have a ball canning book and have been reading lots if forums. Can you reccomend any good books that would be helpful to me?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like your on your way.

I just like to look at things seasonally. Spring and summer for the garden fall is a big time for canning. I know you said you won't have tons of food stored but believe me it happens. Once you start canning things pile up. It's also a great way to save money by buying in bulk.

You said your in Kentucky right? Do the outside wood furnaces require electric? Just wondering

Your green house is fantastic.

Gina

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Like your greenhouse! It looks very similar to mine. The only problem I have is I have yet to find a way to heat it. I used to use a kerosene heater-until the kerosene got so expensive it wasn't worth it financially. I'm thinking about trying to make a rocket mass heater for it.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, it sounds like your on your way.

I just like to look at things seasonally. Spring and summer for the garden fall is a big time for canning. I know you said you won't have tons of food stored but believe me it happens. Once you start canning things pile up. It's also a great way to save money by buying in bulk.

You said your in Kentucky right? Do the outside wood furnaces require electric? Just wondering

Your green house is fantastic.

Gina

Thanks I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, now hopefully I can get some things to grow....:fl
Yes the outside wood burner does require electricity. It hooks up to our furnace but it will save us money since we can cut wood from our land. Lots of people, including us, ran out of propane over the winter and had to pay the outrageous prices to fill their tanks. Not going to let that happen again! Now I do have a indoor wood burner that I use to heat my detached garage when the hubby is working on a project and I have a chimney in my house so if need be I could always take it in the house.
As far as storing food goes ill keep what I can and agree buying in bulk is great I just have to find a place to store it all. I just meant that when it comes to prepping I probably will not ever be one of those people who have huge, 20-30 years plus stockpiles of food and supplies. I am looking into building a root cellar. Maybe add that to the list of one-a-year projects.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like your greenhouse! It looks very similar to mine. The only problem I have is I have yet to find a way to heat it. I used to use a kerosene heater-until the kerosene got so expensive it wasn't worth it financially. I'm thinking about trying to make a rocket mass heater for it.

Thanks! We too are still trying to find a cost effective way to heat our greenhouse. Please let me know how that heater works out if you decide to make one. That seems like a project right up my hubby's alley.... It was so nice last weekend we decided to start a few seeds, and now it's turned off cool...again :he
I can't tell you how over this weather I am and of course my chicks are being shipping during this cold snap. Oh well, positive thoughts for nice weather and heathy chicks and maybe it'll happen:)

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm over it as well. We had beautiful weather over the weekend, and they're calling for more snow tomorrow. :hit

I know how you feel :hugs we aren't supposed to get any this week but you never know. Oh, and fair warning if you ever decide to move to Kentucky.
image.jpg

This is probably the most accurate thing ever spoken about Kentucky!