Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do you barbecue chicken feed? :lol: :gig

ETA: I'm sorry. It was out there and I just couldn't help myself. :duc

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh...I wish there were teens around here to hire! Shoot, they would have wanted several hundres dollars to dig this ditch! I just dont have the money for that!I am soooo hopeing it works. ;)

24 May 09

Got up today, and went to the cemetary. Had to put flowers out for mom. :( Went to the grocery, picked up a few things for dinner. Hamburgers and hotdogs, on the George forman grill.
When I got home, hubby was up. After a while..he got motivated...and pulled out the rototiller! :D Its still a little wet, but was able to get it turned. He then hopped on the mower..and starting with the 1 acre we have YET to mow. That grass was 3 ft tall! While he was mowing...I started on the garden. I was able to get 2- 30 foot rows of green beans planted....12 bell peppers....and 25 tomatos. By then hubby was done mowing..so he was digging the rows for the beets...when it started....rain...MORE RAIN!!!! :tongue We grabbed our things..he ran the mower to the shop...and sat on the front porch watching the rain. Then, Lightening struck just behind the house :barnie ....yup...time to come inside! After the storm, we went back outside to look around. The drainage ditch.........its draining!! :celebrate What a great feeling. After the water is all gone, we will lay the gravel and pipe. I am so excited to get this project done. Still have corn, beets, and cucumbers to get in...then I waite.. :caf
My hands are blistered...cracked, bleeding...I am sunburned as red as a lobster on my shoulders..my back hurts..and my head hurts..I JUST LOVE SUMMER!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Aiden .. You have to have really small slots on the grill to bbq chicken feed ... of course! Silly you... You sound like me!:p

justus .. drink some water that headache is probably you being dehydrated.

This teen is trying to earn enough money for a trip to Africa! - before starting college. He asked for $10 per hour, but I paid him $12.00 an hour and he worked so hard feel like I ripped him off. He is to come back to help with the gravel and piping, I am planning on giving him an extra little bit of money then. It is hard to afford the help, but we just can't physically do it ourselves and any way when you DO FINALLY find a kid that really works hard, I really want to encourage him!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh..I agree on the kid hireing. I have two neighbor girls. One is 15, the other is 12. They come by once in a while, wanting to make a few dollars. Like a few weeks ago, the older one needed money....and I had just happend to swing by wal mart, and buy 20 bags of soil and mulch. She helped unload the truck, and plant the potatoes. I gave her a soda, and $10. I know it doesnt sound like much, but it took less than an hour. She is a quick worker! LOL Ahhh, to be young again. Sometimes I hire them to help clean out the coops. This takes a bit longer...so I pay them a bit more. Just depends on how long the job takes...and I always give them a soda...and snack. ( being country kids,and thier mom is a single parent of 2, they dont get soda very often) I was thinking...to hire the oldest one for light house cleaning. I just can't seem to get it all done, with the outside work. Maybe vaccume, dust, mop, and clean the bathroom....1x a week...for 25$ Sound good!??

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I fed my boy too.

When I was a kid my aunt used to pay us to haul hay. I think we made like 3 cents per bale or some ridiculous amount. We would work all day in the baking sun with 90 degrees and humidity. We would sweat our guts out.

Every year I would BEG my mom to let me haul hay with my aunt. Why? FOOD!

And not just any food ... when we were done for the day we would shower at my aunts and change clothes then she would either take us to a REALLY nice (black tie) restaurant or feed us a home cooked feast the likes of which you only see at Thanksgiving usually. Tons of delicious food and dessert for a queen!

The money was just icing on the cake.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh...I remember as a kid...my sister and I would go stay a week or so with a friend of the familys parents. We would help with the hay as well. One time...after catching bales from the baler...and stacking them on the flatbed...we were headed back to the barn. Sister and I climbed to the top of the stack...enjoying the cool breeze. We fortunately looked just in time to see we were going under a telephone wire. You never seen 2 girls jump from a hay wagon so fast. I swear, I thought we were dead! Lesson learned....from then on...we rode on the back of the flatbed, lowest point! ;) We didnt get money...but WOW could that old woman cook!! Then we were "allowed" to help dehorn the bulls. Learned real fast just how far a bull can throw his legs to the side. I dont know how we survived those summers...but they are great memories!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I remember how shocked I was when my uncle threw the keys to the truck to me and told me to drive it back to the barn - I was about 12 - I did NOT drive it!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
26 May 09

So...its been a long memorial day weekend. AND of course....rainy!!
The ditch has been holding water since we dug it. Not a good sign...but then again..its been raining.
99_ditch1.jpg

99_ditch5.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the ditch. Oh jeesh...looking at it..im worn out!

I was able to get my 2 - 30 ft rows of beets planted, in between the rain yesterday...and get the rows made for the corn, which I will plant today. Looks like I only have room for 3 rows...darn! But, they are about 20 ft long...and it IS just DH and I....so I might be OK. I plan to cann it all. No freezing. Once I get the corn planted...I will get pics. I am so proud of all the work to the bigger garden this year. The smaller garden is doing great as well. Potatos, peas, radishes, onions, cauliflour, broccoli, cabbage, and more beets.
The bigger garden...tomatos, peppers, beets( yes we love beets :) ) green beans, corn, and cucumbers. Looks like we will have plenty for us and the animals!
Im just hopeing I can keep up with all the canning! :/ I DO plan to have a small veggie stand tho...and sell eggs as well. This little bit of money, will help with winter feed. At least, thats the plan! :cool:
Well, time to get outside....almost 9 am, and daylights a burnin!
Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
justus have you thought about planting some water sucking plants around your marshy area?

My sister planted some willow trees and some cottonwoods to help "drink up" some of the extra water in a marshy spot in her yard. Some people say plum trees will do ok with wet feet as well.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About the water sucking plants..well....our main water line runs right through the middle of that area. No, its not leaking, because later this summer....it will all dry out. I wanted to put a willow in there....but I am afraid it will get into the main water lline. Now...plum trees?? Hmmmmmm, DH loves plums....and I dont think thier roots run too deep do they!? Wonder where I can get a few...like 6, cheap plum trees!?? LOL