JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There are other water lovers out there as well. Like your iris!

Do a little research and you might solve the problem AND add to the food larder!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ahhhh, I love all your green flat land. I have flat land envy!!!!
You know...some days, I wish I lived on a hillside. Flat land = wetlands. At least here it does. I am so tired of wearing MUD BOOTS!!
I took a few pics of the garden...we have most of it planted...because of the "flat land" we have to grow everything in hilled rows. What a pain to build these suckers!
The first 2 rows...are tomatos...
99_first2rowstomatos.jpg

These 2 rows, are beets! Yummmmmmy
99_2rowsbeets.jpg

The 2 rows on the right are green beans, then the one next to them are peppers..
99_1rowonleftpeppers2onrightbeans.jpg

And finally...the 3 rows of corn....
99_corn.jpg

Still have the cucumbers to plant...then I am ALL DONE! Woohoo!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
29 May 09

So, its Friday....DH goes back to work Monday. ( quietly celebrateing) ;)
Today we worked on that DARNED DITCH AGAIN!! I swear...NEVER AGAIN...if I have to sell everything in my house, to PAY someone to do it...I will. This has been a nightmare! We started Last Saturday...dug out 200 ft of ditch. Felt pretty darned proud...then...the rain came...Sunday, rain..so Monday, we REdug the ditch....which is now FULL of water..and NOT draining. :barnie
Tuesday....rain...Wednesday....walk past the ditch, and mumble under my breath a few choice words to the frogs who are now LOVEING the "small river" in the front yard along with the crawdads. :rolleyes: Didnt work on the ditch my grandson had a baseball game. ( they won! 14 to 4) WOOHOO!:p Thursday...dug out a little more, got the water flowing...then MORE RAIN! UGH! Friday...today...we decided...thats it, come rain or not, we are getting the gravel in the ditch, and the pipe. So, being overzealous...we loaded the ditchline with gravel....layed the pipe...then put the level to it. :rant Had to dig MOST of the gravel BACK OUT! Finally after 5 hours, we got the stupid pipe in...with a slow downhill draining..and about half of it covered in gravel. Tomorrow morning...we WILL finish it. :tongue Supposed to get storms Saturday afternoon...so early morning gravel party for us! :/
My hands are blistered...cracked...swollen.
Have a friend coming over to dig out Hostas. We have literally hundreds of them...and are haveing to mow them as they are spreading into the "yard" area. I told him, come get what you want...but he has to dig them.:p
Oh, I planted the green beans last Sunday....went out there today...they are popping up already! So, I grabbed a handsaw...and headed to the woods to get posts. Cut 8 posts, and sunk them in the rows...and had enough string for one level each row. Will have to run to the hardware store tomorrow..and get more. I can't believe how fast they are coming up. :celebrate
STILL haven't planted the cucumbers....hopeing I can get time in the morning before hubby gets up, to get out there and get them in....before company comes. Im tired...sore, and grumpy...I want my coffee and a blankey. :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The gardens are looking great. I envy you the rain - we really could use two solid days of steady rain on the gardens.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I could put a big fan down here in SE Indiana...and blow all the rain to you in Ohio...for at least a week! We are getting more..and I am so tired of wearing mud boots...in MAY! Today I decided I was going to wear my tennis shoes....NOT a smart idea. Shoes got wet....socks got wet...feet are blistered. :/ Tomorrow...I go barefoot...well, maybe. LOL

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I just stopped wearing my Muck boots a couple weeks ago! They are still sitting in the mudroom....I usually don't get to put them away for the year until mid-June.

ETA: when you aim that fan, I'm in the far NE corner! :gig

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
when you aim that fan, I'm in the far NE corner!

Got it Kel.....im gonna send you TONS of rain...LOL Dont put those boots away yet! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just, I was thinking about your garden and it looks like you would do well with permanent pathways between your hilled rows. Might take care of your mud problem and make your gardening experience a lot nicer. I love my grassy pathways between the rows! It would sure save time when you till the garden next year....you only have to till up the rows that way.

A good mix of white dutch clover and fescue or blue grass would look nice and serve well....and attract bees to your garden. :)

How's your sheep getting along this spring? Still cute and fun to watch?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, thats a great idea...but then DH would have to mow in there...and well...I just dont want him in the garden! LOL I was thinking of mulching the pathways...then in the spring, I can throw the composted mulch on the rows. I dunno...its still in the works tho! LOL
As for the sheep...Ohhh yes! I still love sitting with them from time to time. Little Sonny boy...well, he isnt so little anymore. I noticed last night, when I went to give him his evening bottle, he is quite "round" in the middle. He is still trying to build up confidence to let me scratch him freely. If the girls woud let him near me...we would be OK. They are so very jealous. When I get a scratch under his chin, usually Nelly will come and throw her weight around, and toss him to the side. Poor little guy. I keep telling Nelly..." One day sweetie, he will be the boss" LOL Then she will come lay her head on my lap, wanting a good scratching. :love
I still want a little brown cow tho.. ;)

Latest posts