livin' on the funny farm- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok:

*chicken coops are up and have the netting on- AND i even pulled it tight enough that i dont need a post to hold it up (for now). but i need to move the shelters and need dh truck to move them. i put the chickens, guineas, and ducks in 1 pen and geese and turkeys in the other.
*goat pen is up, except for the shelter and again i need the truck to move it.
*and made a separate pen for the pony and mini donkey. i will put them in the stall in the barn at night and when the weather is bad. these are temperary for now, we are going to get some new horse fencing, what we ran before for the horses was electric. and i want to do away with the electric.
i eventualy want to get another chain link dog pen and put the geese and ducks in it.

i was just going to make 1 big pen for the goats, pony, and donkey but the donkey cant be in with the goats cause he tries to kill them. so i am hoping the goats are happy where they are!

ate some lunch and now i think i will watch a movie.

dont know why it wont let me edit??????

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There's a problem w/the board. I couldn't even get on earlier.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow, it got cold here!!!!

have i mentioned that i dont like winter? :(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok, so we live near the mississippi river here, and it has been the lowest i have ever seen it. well the past week or so our water has had a dirt smell and taist. we thought it was the water line. well big news last night- from hannibal mo. to fort madison ia. there are the same reports. come to find out it is cause the river is so low. so they are adding more chemicals-go figure. there is talk that if the river gets much lower the barge traffic will not be able to go threw. our nearby creak hasnt had running water in it since this last june-july. so for now i will have to buy bottled water.

ok, it no real news to most people that i hate winter. my feet are generaly cold from oct to may! the winter weather is finaly here (last night was 13 degrees). but is have found 1 thing that is good about winter...the mud is solid!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canNOT stand to have cold feet - it makes your whole self cold! :(

Pretty scary about the water situation....

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
even the old timers here have never seen it like this. and to think that it was only 2008 and 1993 that we had major record flooding!

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Boy.. You got me on that one!
I was thinking the state of Mississippi was running out of water. I was wondering how after the flooding rains we had the past week. lol

The weather is getting weird. Last year we had 8 months with no rain. It was so dry this past summer that our garden dried up and everything died. This fall we haven't had many days when it didn't rain. I have heard others talking about how low the Mississippi river is too. I live near the Tennessee river and it looked lower than normal the last time I was the a couple of months ago.

Our creek has never dried up, but this past summer it was the lowest I've ever seen it in 40+ years.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FF6, when do your feet get cold? Is it all day, or after you've been out and doing stuff for awhile? If it's after you've been doing stuff for awhile, what kind of socks do you wear? I have the same problem but it's because my feet sweat and I can't wear wool socks. I'm trying to find a way to let the moisture wick away from my feet w/out soaking my socks. I haven't been able to try much though, because it got warm again.