MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have 16 chicks in the brooder, I will be selling them once able to sex them. Then the roosters, I will keep and eat. I have 28 eggs due Monday, I am keeping the BSL roos out of that set. Then I am setting an incubator with about 35 eggs from eggs I am buying on the internet. Those will stay and I keep and use them all. Then I have a setting of Buff Orpingtons going in Thursday as well, to be sold as day old hatchlings hopefully. Plus two broody hens on a nest of 12 each. :rolleyes: I am covered up, the Buffs are already sold. I'm doing started pullets this year for some profit. So my plan for the roosters is to, let them forage till they are about 3 months to 4 months old, then possibly (depending on space, I am limited for now) separate and do straight corn and high protein feeds. But all that depends on how much space I have. I have to get the rabbit does fixed up until I get their space in the barn built, then when we get our calf. She has to go somewhere. But now that I have typed it out, I will have enough space to separate to feed differently. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BB, I love your new title!! :D :lol:

Sounds like you got quite the chicken factory over there! With that much going on and that much hatching, it probably would be the thing for you to just have and designate yourself a roo grow out pen, huh? Sounds like you have one in mind... you wouldn't ever have to go with CX with that much production of birds going down, although you'd be processing more often. Might want to get yourself a little hand drill plucker for just such occasions.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
BB, I love your new title!! :D :lol:

Sounds like you got quite the chicken factory over there! With that much going on and that much hatching, it probably would be the thing for you to just have and designate yourself a roo grow out pen, huh? Sounds like you have one in mind... you wouldn't ever have to go with CX with that much production of birds going down, although you'd be processing more often. Might want to get yourself a little hand drill plucker for just such occasions.
Yeah WBF and DD came up with it to concide with my new position and my love for chickens :lol:

Yeah I think I have figured it out, and I myself am not much on CXs, too needy and messy for me. They also have to be processed at once, I'd rather space it out and do one or two every evening instead of 12 on a Saturday. But I am going to get a killing cone, or make one. They'd make it easier, and I never pluck I always skin. Plucking is a horrible idea, for the messier CXs. Then not worth it on other birds. I may fix my old run into a 'grow out pen' for drakes, toms, and roosters. Get a tarp over the end for shelter...hmmm I'm liking the idea of having a constant supply of on the bone meat :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing to consider...you really don't have to process CX all at once. That's just how most folks do it but it really isn't necessary at all. They don't have to be a "messy" bird to raise at all and all mine were feathered and clean just like my layers.

It's all in how you raise them, feed them, house them whether they are a mess and have to be butchered in a hurry before they die of ill health~or if they turn out just healthy, big ol' meat birds that look clean and mobile like your layer flocks.

You can make a killing cone from a 2 gal. bleach jug or even a Tropicana OJ jug...both have harder, tougher plastic than do milk jugs and they hold their shape better. They will also both hold larger birds than your regular DP.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
One thing to consider...you really don't have to process CX all at once. That's just how most folks do it but it really isn't necessary at all. They don't have to be a "messy" bird to raise at all and all mine were feathered and clean just like my layers.

It's all in how you raise them, feed them, house them whether they are a mess and have to be butchered in a hurry before they die of ill health~or if they turn out just healthy, big ol' meat birds that look clean and mobile like your layer flocks.

You can make a killing cone from a 2 gal. bleach jug or even a Tropicana OJ jug...both have harder, tougher plastic than do milk jugs and they hold their shape better. They will also both hold larger birds than your regular DP.
I free ranged, added bedding, and mine were STILL messy. They were horrible. Oh well I guess if they were done by a mother hen, they'd be different... :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know...that broody let them loose pretty much after they were around 4 wks old and they were on their own within the flock. Maybe different forage areas and such...mine had lots and lots of green grass to lay in and not so much mud or dirty areas. They only came in the coop at night and I used deep litter, so this might also have been a factor. They were messy and smelly, for sure but it didn't seem to get on them at all....they remained pretty clean looking..and the deep litter absorbed their messiness like a sponge.

This time I am correcting that "messy and smelly" thing and hope to eliminate the last objectionable thing about raising meaties...those messy stinkin' poops. :sick I'm also trying to introduce roosting into their little lives so they won't be lying on the floor of the coop in their own mess. Some are using the roost already and I hope the rest catch on.

This is some of them at 6 wks with my layers, the white birds here are CX:

200x200px-ZC-e71f3a4f_6459_jons_grad_pics_meaties_at_8_new_chicks_031.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-c1d01de3_6459_garden_rows_morning_sun_024.jpeg

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Who knows why the difference. Im sure some strains are more active and outgoing than others.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I found a place where I can get non-medicated 24% protein chick starter for $8.60 a 50 lb bag. So maybe I will keep them on that and buttermilk every other day or 2-3 times a week. I can't free range, but we are making a movable A frame tractor. so they can be on fresh grass.
Holy cow!!! That is an amazing price. Do mind if I ask what brand and from where? Even If I had to pay for shipping I bet it would still be cheaper than what I have here in Ca.

g

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is an elevator about 30 min north of me. They have super prices-$7.(and some change) for 50 lbs of cracked corn. The only thing I don't like is it comes in a powder form. I origanaly got it for my quail chicks. But it is so much cheaper than chick starter at farm and home that I use it for my chicks also. Plus I like that it is not medicated. I can dig up the name, # and address for them tomarow if you want.