MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bee, I can't remember how old.. gotta check the records. I can't believe it, I figured they wouldn't be able to get that high!!!

I'm SO glad you're having such great luck w/the fermented foods!! Thats awesome, not only healthier for them, but easier on the pocket book (Who doesn't like saving money! ;) ):lol:

I have noticed poopy buts on the CX but I think thats more from high moisture/water content as they've been decimating every poop pile in the barnyard, and 4 cows make LOOOOOOOOOOTS of poop :lol:

I will see what I can do about getting something together for a BYC post. I'm sure they won't believe me, but its worth a shot :lol:

Will see about getting weights and such at butchering as well...hoepfully that can be soon!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And I just ordered another 100 meaties for delivery this week, for a total of 225 for the spring season. Mt. Healthy is also shipping an additional 50 cockerels of various breeds. You get 25 extras for every 50 you ordered if your total comes to over $100. To some folks those might be throw aways, but not on our place.

This spaces my meaties at 3 weeks apart. So, if I start processing them at 6 weeks for each batch, with a few of the largest each week, it should space out nicely over a 5 or 6 week period.

Hopefully I will be able to sell most of those at the farmers market, with about 40 for my own freezer. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You will be super busy for awhile! You'll have to let us know your total profits on that, Buster. I always find it interesting to find out the bottom line.

Got my little drill mount plucker from Cabela's the other day...can't wait to try it out! I'm going to modify it a little to stabilize it and the drill and to provide a shield to direct the feathers.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Want to see something ridiculous? Mr. Mom has totally taken over brooding these meaties.... he even has a few tucked under that wing!

LL

LL

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
What an excellent photo!!!! And how funny!!! I think that should be a pic of the week!!!!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bee that is just precious!!!! Its always such a relief when you have a good Roo who watches over and mothers chicks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee your giving that poor Roo an identity issue. :lol:. I would love a link or a pic of the drill mount plucker. A plucker is still on our to do list.

My little turkeys are doing well. Momma and babies are now free ranging in their own area. Hard part is the poults fit through the fence. Other than that their doing well.

G

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a link and a pic!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pluc...Ntt=pluckers&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

s7_220077_440_02

This pic looks bigger than it actually is and don't be fooled by the $14.99 price...that is only for the bag of replacement fingers. With shipping, this thing cost me around $40...still, it's pretty heavy duty and looks like it will get the job done. All the reviews state it does an excellent job when the birds are dry...and that is exactly what I wanted. I'm trying to get away from the mess of scalding and see if I can't do it dry and save some feathers for pillows.