MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It has warmed up around here this week, so I finally took all the hay bales out of the coop that was still there around the brooder area and to block the drafts at floor level. The floor looks so big now! Took out their heat lamp as well~haven't used it for more than a week or so. They have much more floor space now and much more air flow. I'll be placing dried leaves down for bedding.

(Took all their pine shavings out and will be using them in my potato hills...doing the layers of hay, soil, leaves, etc. in my potato hills this year. Going to keep piling on stuff like one would do in a tire tower so the potatoes can have more growth and they will be easy to dig out. Mom's soil has a very high clay content and she has never really placed any amendments on it, in it, etc.)

Replaced their feeder with a bigger one...it is a gutter placed up on 2x4 feet. Will be placing low roosting today also...cut a thick sapling out of the woods today for this and will place thick, rubber padding along the top to cushion their tender breast meats. :D

I tell ya, these CX have the life of Reilly! :) They have such a fun and active life and are ranging out of my fence :rant and into the nearby woods, foraging everywhere they possibly can. When I fed today, there were many that didn't even bother to come to the feeder and just kept on foraging.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My meaties are terrified of bagels. Just thought you all should know that. Bagels are apparently Superbirds kryptonite. Seriously...they will. not. go. even. close. to. them. :rolleyes: :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: What in the world?? Bagels...hmmm.....good thing to keep in mind when I'm herding them into the coop each evening. I'll just shake a bagel at them! :lol:

Mine will eat anything you throw in that fence....it looks like Christians thrown to the lions in there! I gave them Rudy's innards and it was like a shark feeding frenzy for the next two days while they chase each other around with the parts hanging out their mouths. :sick

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Got the fermented grains going! :woot I like em, and they seem to be adjusting to them. Now can they be used on rabbits, and a cow?? :pop

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Definitely on a cow but you will have to tell us how they work on the rabbits... :D

I'm simply amazed at how satisfied these meaties seem after eating the FF...or maybe it's just the whole grains and how long it takes them to process them as opposed to just broiler type crumbles or layer mash. They just don't seem to eat as much before they walk away with their little crops full and go back to foraging and some will take a short nap right after eating.

And I'm even more amazed at how there is no smell in their coop! The last batch I had were very smelly, stinky and their poop was light brown and liquid...almost frothy at times. This batch have just little black/white chicky poos...like little worms that curl up on the ground. No smell...it's simply lovely!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wouldn't use them on rabbits. Rabbits tummies are really delicate and they bloat easily. Any trace of souring or mold can kill them. Unless you just soaked one feedings worth at a time and made sure that they ate it all within a couple hours, then it shouldn't hurt.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I wouldn't use them on rabbits. Rabbits tummies are really delicate and they bloat easily. Any trace of souring or mold can kill them. Unless you just soaked one feedings worth at a time and made sure that they ate it all within a couple hours, then it shouldn't hurt.
I had worried about that, and I may just do straight oats and hay, with their usual greens/veggies.

Bee, that is awesome! So glad they are being normal for you :p !

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Time to do a pic progression!

First day:

5_chicks_drink_from_water_nipples_first_day.jpg

First week:

5_100_1394.jpg

Second Week:

5_first_grit_and_ashes.jpg

Third Week:

5_at_3_wks_old.jpg

Fourth Week...today:

LL

Comparison with DP roo of same age:

LL

Front view...notice the CX does not have the typical splayed legs of this breed that is considered normal by this age in the growth.

LL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Snowhunter! Are ya out there still? Have you processed yet? Any updates on your birds? Anyone else want to share progress and things on their meat birds? I'd love to see how everyone's birds look, are doing, finishing weights, how they taste?