MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have any pics to share, but mine are doing well too. They appear to be a bit larger than yours, but they should be at 5 1/2 weeks old. Almost time for slaughter and haven't lost one. They seem to be doing very well. I am pleased with my results thus far. I'll let ya know on taste in a few weeks :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mine seem smaller than the last batch I raised at this age....these are free ranging a lot harder than my last group, so that may be it or it may be that the last ones had layer mash as the base for their feed.

I'm contemplating adding some layer mash to their ration to see what happens...I don't mind them putting on some weight now that their bones and bodies have had a chance to develop well.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Snowhunter! Are ya out there still? Have you processed yet? Any updates on your birds? Anyone else want to share progress and things on their meat birds? I'd love to see how everyone's birds look, are doing, finishing weights, how they taste?
Hey Bee.. I'm here.. things haven't gone according to plan with the cows which has thrown everything out of whack.. the CX are still free ranging everywhere (including over 1000yds from the original coop area) and building some good dense muscle mass (not the flabby breast muscles they usually have). I've got to move a different coop up to finish them out and I'm not sure if that'll be soon or not. Its soaking wet out here right now, so too wet to get the big tractor into the pasture to retrieve the coop without pasture damage. :/

Gotta see about getting some stuff ready for processing day too...I think the propane tank is empty, and I'm out of bags/wrapping for freezer storage.:hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good to know they are still going and foraging...they sound like mine..each day I see them further and further from the coop and I am just waiting for a fox to rush out of the woods and snatch one before the dog can do anything about it. :/

I can't wait to see how yours turn out and how they taste!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first batch of beasties earlier this week.

900x900px-LL-561b42ef_100_3885.jpeg

Like little piggies at the trough.

They are the original order of 125 from Mt Healthy in Ohio. We received another order of 100 this past Wednesday, and we picked up 65 at TSC and Atwoods. So far we have made some $1,500 is pre-sales at our local farmers market, and that is just from the first batch, mostly. That batch is due for processing on 5/16. We have spent a total of about 7 hours at the farmers market so far this spring, so things are going pretty well.

This arrives on Tuesday of this week. It should make processing a bit easier...

900x900px-LL-ddcb6a47_HHGF.jpeg

We are going to skip raising in the summer, because it gets so hot here for them. Even experienced meatbird folks have trouble with the heat here, and we are none of that. If these sell out as expected, we will raise another 700 in the fall for our full 1,000 bird annual allotment for Oklahoma.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is a good ammount of birds! I dunno if I could stand to raise that many!