MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahh I think dry must be the key. I have been planning to have my dh build me the Whizbang for years. Still not done. :barnie He wanted to build one like the one you have pictured. We were advised against it. They said it would tear up the skin.

Maybe dry and fresh is the key. Be sure to document how well it goes. I would love to hear your results.

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will! I plan to make a stabilizer box for it and the drill and also place a hood over it to deflect feathers. I think there is a knack to using these and I've watched the videos of them plucking wildfowl with it...looks like it takes a little finesse but is doable.

My hood will connect to a shop vac hose so I can save my feathers as it plucks.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi!
My 2nd son (and his work mates) are building me a plucker! All I have to do is provide the fingers! He (and his work mates) can use the tool room from work after hours and can get "good" scrap. The feather plate is lazer cut stainless steal and it's a 1 1/2 hp adjustable motor. "The guys" want to use it during turkey and duck season.

But, to my question...Is there a meaty chicken that's ready in 12 weeks or so? The ones that are ready at 8 just don't seem "right".

Thanks!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can also do the CX and just not grow them as quickly. The last batch I did was at 11 wks and they were wonderful, mobile and healthy~free ranged right with my layer flock.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
Hi!

But, to my question...Is there a meaty chicken that's ready in 12 weeks or so? The ones that are ready at 8 just don't seem "right".

Thanks!
I have done the Freedom Rangers and loved them. They finished out very nicely at 12 to 14 weeks.

g

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I'll look into the Freedom Rangers. They seem to be a good "between" bird which is what I want.

Beekissed...How do you slow down the Cx's? From what I've seen they will gobble down all the food available!

Also I will admit I did not read the entire thread, but I saw comments about doing game birds. A gentleman on another forum I'm on dose quail with his. He recommends more fingers and a slower speed for small birds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
Thanks all!
I'll look into the Freedom Rangers. They seem to be a good "between" bird which is what I want.

Beekissed...How do you slow down the Cx's? From what I've seen they will gobble down all the food available!

Also I will admit I did not read the entire thread, but I saw comments about doing game birds. A gentleman on another forum I'm on dose quail with his. He recommends more fingers and a slower speed for small birds.
Don't make the food available.

That's a good rule of thumb for any free ranging flock....they will supplement their feed on forage and they don't need continuous feed. Many breeds will overeat and store fat in areas that inhibit good reproduction, so feeding once a day and gauging the effect of the amounts fed is always a better choice for any breed of chicken.

If you don't free range, twice a day feedings are sufficient...I think many people feel sorry for animals if they don't have food present in their face at all times.

I've even heard people say that they do it for their dogs because that is how it would be "in the wild" but I will point out that dogs do not eat every minute of every day "in the wild" and are quite lucky indeed to be able to catch game every three days and that's with a pack, in good hunting areas. It's not realistic nor is it good for them.

A bird will be hunting all day every day for food but it doesn't mean they always find it. They also burn off much energy during this foraging. Penned birds do not, so providing continuous feed is more for the human's benefit than it is for the chicken. A good lean bird is always a better layer than a fat one. A good lean CX is always more active and healthier than a fat one. Fat is fine if you just want good finishing weights so you can make a profit, but do you really want that excess fat in your diet?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Speaking of meat birds, I was about to place my order and was wondering if any of you have ordered from http://www.cacklehatchery.com/default.html.

The shipping price is kind of expensive, so I was wondering where some of you have ordered your birds from.

Also, when I was ordering I noticed they recommend that they vaccinate for "marek's disease". Do any of you do that, or recommend that I have that done?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I ordered from Central Hatchery out of NE and was very pleased with the price, the quality and the service. I ordered 50 CX and it was $60 w/shipping costs and they sent 54 chicks. All alive, healthy and thriving.