MyHouseIsAZoo2's SS Journal

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Use plantain (plantago major) if you have any in your yard. It is the king of drawing herbs, and a wet poultice (chew a few leaves and slap it on) will draw out poisons, splinters, etc. It's also anti-inflammatory so it should relieve the swelling too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They could have been scrapers, so they wouldn't care if it ran or not.

And, congrats on the egg! I have 2, neither which has started to lay. But, I did see one of them checking out my nesting boxes the other day.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You have beautiful hair! Mine is also very long and thick, so a major pain to wash and dry, but I can't imagine living without it. I've been wearing it long for nearly 15 years now.

Congrats on the eggs!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:eek: well its been a bit since I got on here...
Not much excitement over my way, been working a bunch (long night shifts)
And there's freaking construction just about everywhere where I live :barnie
On the plus side:

I now have 4 of my six hens laying! I am slightly worried because they all lay their eggs in the exact same spot... Which is great for collection purposes but is concerning for others...
Also I've started reading the book my mom bought me a while back Hatching &Brooding Your Own Chicks by Gail Damerow. I kinda flipped through it a while ago but didn't really read read it. So I figured I probably should (especially since I've been contemplating on saving up for an incubator)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001U...200_QL40&qid=1412612869&sr=8-3#ref=mp_s_a_1_3 <--- I'm really thinking about this one as it has plenty of good reviews. I looked at a smaller one but the reviews were.... Rather unhappy...
I'm also contemplating on moving a few things around the yard so I can set up a mealworm tank for the ladies and my babu's.
Fed the Roosters a can of cat food this morning and ended up having to lock my dog in the house cause she kept chasing them off and wouldn't leave the dish alone >:V
her old owners fed her nothing but cat food so I think she believes the dish was for her even though I'd just fed her.
Gonna try to wash them tomorrow morning/noon and cull them on Wednesday.

My tomato plant is finally growing a tomato!!
IMG_20141019_084444.jpg
and the questionable pumpkin/squash is flowering as well :D

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:l oh man I've done it again, I bought three Buff Orpington chicks tonight from Pet Club.
download_20141020_221738.jpeg
here's to hoping their all female!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's Pet Club? And, they let you buy just 3 chicks? Most places around here you have to buy at least 6. I know of only one place where they'll let you buy fewer than that. (Which is where I buy chicks if I want any.)

Petclubs like an animal feed depo place out here, some are super fancy and carry nothing but cat and dog food and some carry literally any critter that can be kept food. (That's the one we went to last night!) We were hoping for silver lace Wyandotte's since they had them, barred rocks and another one posted for available but they only had golden sex's and buff Orpington chicks.
That's weird! Most stores around where you live make you buy six?.? We were gonna get one, but figured we better get three so no chick was lonely and a j.I.c. matter :hide
Hope you don't mind I replied Twinnie (and denim deb)!!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thought I'd put an updated pic of the little ones
IMG_20141021_140223.jpg

IMG_20141021_140341.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
If you are not in a rush with the mealworms you can start on a shoestring, with a few live worms and build it up at very little expense. Remember the warmer they are, the quicker they multiply, so if you can keep them in a nice warm room (85*F+), with something moist to nibble on (ours adored carrots) and some bran, you'll have a good size colony going in a few months' time.