MyHouseIsAZoo2's SS Journal

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope everyone's been well, haven't had much time to post lately. Me and Twinnie bought our first pressure cooker today! It should be here sometime between today and next Wednesday we're super excited! P.o.w.w.o.w started last week and we want to waste ad little as possible this year (our first box had cucumbers, tomatoes, grey squash and yellow squash) I'd like to can up some veggies/veggie dish's and salsa for the summer when p.o.w.w.o.w ends.
Also we got another female rabbit
IMG_20141111_113650.jpg

Meet Milly <3 she really likes being pet and held! When I let her run around the spare room she'll hop around a bit then lay on the bed with me. She also does this funny thing where it looks like she's licking her lips before hopping around.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the same trouble; NO SELF CONTROL. What I finally have done is I made some cookie mixes, using stevia and sugar mix for sweetener, and I made them in small batches of 1 dozen. We have them for dessert that night and then there's no more for a while. Since I have to make them, I have time to assess whether I really want them; and since I have the mixes at home, I'm better able to resist buying store-boughts etc.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw an interesting idea for aquaponics (I'll try to find the link for you) where they used a toilet flushing mechanism to flush the greens with the poopy water- no electricity needed and and all automatic.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMG_20150311_134302.jpg

IMG_20150314_142950:nopm:~2.jpg

Took me a bit and I'm out of cage supplies for the moment but here's some pictures of my handbuilt PVC pipe rabbit shelf/rack. I still need to build my waste trays but for the time being I have some old rabbit cage drops under the little one up top :)
This monstrous beast stands at about 7ft tall and about 6 1/4th ft long. For the amount of adults I have/will have I need to build at least one more like this or two 3 1/2-4ft long ones

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've done it... I've gone and got a 12 count incubator to hatch out ducks. :confused: I am super excited for this but at the same time I'm kinda freaked out.
I originally got it because I want a few more female ducks in my flock, I've already told my mums if she wants to eat any I'll raise em but she has to kill and pluck (I don't mind cleaning the guts out too terribly much) but I don't eat duck, I hate the smell of cooking duck and I'm not a fan of eating it. She says I used to like it till grams said she hated the taste if duck but she also says I used to like liver and I have Never Ever liked liver :\

In other news I Had to go to the dentist yesterday due to some pretty intense pain in my left jaw and cheek swelling. Hadn't been to a dentist in about 10 years due to not having any sort of insurance. They took some awkward x rays since my mouth can't open very far due to the pain and turns out my bottom two wisdom teeth are growing in completely wrong! Then to top it off my top two wisdoms are growing outwards into my cheek D': so now I've an appointment for consultation with an oral surgeon next monday to get them all 4 pulled out.

OH I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but my moms eye surgery went well :) she is home and says she can almost see out of the eye now

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It has been so freaking hot! :'(
It's been 115,114,117 and has barely cooled back down to the 100's since Monday. Thanks to this massive heat wave we'e lost 2 rabbits and one if my gold chickens D':

I found someone on Craigslist selling new Zealand, California's and mix's of the two for $15 each. I'm thinking after I return from my birthday trip in September I may buy 3 new females and a male, just have to double check that they aren't related. But I also need to refix my rabbit rack as this oppressive heat wave caused the top section of the big one I built to melt slightly....

Also found a nice listing of chicks for sale since I've been thinking of getting a few new ones, found a lady who sells Isbars, golden lakenvelders, marans and Ameraucana's <3 for less than 20 each... My mom says that's pricey per chick but considering my younger sister got her Ameraucana's she took to show for 45 each and there are places selling Isbars for 100 per non sexed chick this is a crazy good deal in my books!

I've also been thinking about setting up a duckuaponix (I'm sure that's how it's spelt) system in my back yard but I'm honestly not sure how wide or deep I need to make it, they seem to handle the kiddie pool fine but I'm wondering if 3-4ft wide and 4-5 ft deep is big enough since I'd like to get at least 3 beds set up to it or at least enough to easily grow some extra food stuffs for me and critters. Decisions decisions.... Off to do more research!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello hello, been a while since I've been on (seems this is becoming a trend)
An update on everything,
The aunts gone she moved back to Michigan where karma gave her a really, really firm slap of reality. My bronchial infection is thankfully gone and my rabbit potroast has had her first And second batch of babies!
I'm also looking into a job change... I won't be home as often but if everything goes according to plan I could have my dream homestead and "retire" in 5-10 years :)