Never sunburn again

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OMG!! My skin has never felt better! It is unrefined coconut oil from Spectrum. I think it would be better raw though. Bbrooks knows more. The skin around my eyes feels so wonderful and the rest of my face feels so smooth.

Vega

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
While I tan fairly easily I also get burnt at the beginning of the year if I don't put on sunscreen or spend too much time in the sun. I used to always get burned badly when I was little and on Spring break in Florida. I would blister and peel. I have sun freckles on my shoulder which I think is from the sun damaging my skin. I have never heard about fermented cod liver oil preventing someone from getting burned. It almost sounds like it's too good to be true but I guess not since a lot of you swear by it. I'll have to try it this season and see if it works.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
So! How did everyone manage the summer using FCLO?

I never burned even after being hours out there at a time, and also never really got red. I am also not as dizzy as I used to be when standing up. Otherwise haven't noticed a whole lot. Hopefully it's working on the inside! My entire family was calling me crazy for taking it though.

I think I've been taking it about four months now, the capsule form.

Also, I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer, as I am confused.. BUBB said she purchased the liquid form and then put it into capsules herself, and that she did this because it was cheaper than buying the FCLO capsules premade. She said it lasts her three months.

On Dr.R's website it says; (http://www.drrons.com/fermented-blue-ice-cod-liver-oil.htm)

Fermented Cod Liver Oil - Capsules
(120 500-ml capsules) ($29.95)

And then;

Fermented Cod Liver Oil - Liquids
(237 ml, approximately 8 ounces, 118 half-teaspoon servings) ($43.95)

Now this looks like a person would get about the same amount of FCLO for less $$ if they purchased the capsules. My bottle of capsules said to take two a day. So that's about two months worth.

However, the Liquid FCLO said that there are 118 half-teaspoon servings. If BUBB was right and the liquids are cheaper, would that mean that each serving equates to two capsules? If so, that's a pretty dirty trick. :/

Is anyone taking the liquid form? What does the bottle say?
I'd rather be poor and healthy than rich and ill, but come on!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I totally missed this thread originally. I think I was in Mo.

Very good information. My mother always had me using coconut oil when I was a kid. I would rub myself down before I went to the beach. :D

These days my children and I rarely burn. I do put a bit of sunscreen on them early in the season if they are going to be exposed for long periods of time. After the first week of summer they rarely need it. We brown up nicely. Once my pediatrician commented on how brown my kids were. Were talking burnt toast brown. He said as long as they weren't burning I had no reason to worry.

My dh on the other had was the one who had skin cancer under his tongue. Yeah, I don't think it was over exposed. That was a sure case of genetics and diet with some carcinogens mixed in.

What other health benefits does the Fermented Cod liver oil have?

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Like Gina, once we hit summer we threw out the sunscreen...unless we were spending the whole day in the sun. I apply it to my face and my kids faces though.

I am glad that someone brought this up...I had read some info recommending a good fish oil over FCLO as it was too high in A? or some vit that was a poor ratio for absorption. Anyone know about that?

I use that raw Spectrum CC oil that BBH recommended. I don't usually use it on my face but for the rest of my body it works wonderfully!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Vitamin A got a bad rap a few years ago when it was sold in synthetic form and people had problems with it. It is a fat soluble vitamin and you can't take too much of it because it builds up in your body, unlike, say, B vitamins that you will pee out if you take too much.

So in their usual show of great wisdom :rolleyes: the powers that be had ALL vitamin A taken off the market. Now you will see betacarotene (a precursor) listed on labels as vitamin A. We tend to be deficient for this reason.

You can get it from pastured dairy and egg yolks. In supplement form, FCLO is best.

It drives me nuts that vitamin D deficiency is all the rage but the medical community as a whole has not come to the logical conclusion that if most people are deficient in D, maybe, just MAYBE, most people are deficient in other nutrients as well.... :he

Oh, and there are articles on vitamin A on one of my favorite sites, www.westonapricefoundation.org