New budget

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Roux and gravy are different. Roux is browned more than gravy base. I call it "just before it burns." And how do you know just before it burns? Easy-burn a batch and next time you'll know. Gravy, even brown gravy is not that dark. Usually brown gravy is meat based from pan drippings, roux is not, just flour and oil.

Oil or bacon grease melted in a heavy iron skillet and flour added to make it thick, but not too thick. Medium high heat, stir and stir and stir. Smoke rising, and just before it burns, add water to make the roux. Put in a big pot, add more water to thin it down. The "soup" will have a real dark color.

I make a lot of smoke when I cook........ :idunno
Well, dang, I have made true roux a few times then! cough cough, not that I was trying to, ya know? :\

Suzannah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
CROCKPOT...if you don't have one you can find one at the nearest secondhand store for just a few dollars. Throw in ground meat (turkey, chicken, pork or beef) with a couple of cans of beans and some seasoning and you've got lots of chili. A crockpot is a handy way to make pulled pork as well - get a porkroast, add a seasoning packet ($1), ketchup, apple cidar vinegar and brown sugar. Makes enough for several meals. A crockpot is also very handy for making chicken salad: drop boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) in it and add a 1/2 cup of water or broth and cook on high for 4 hours or on low all day. Take the breasts out and shred with two forks (like you would the pulled pork mentioned above) than add your favorite seasonings (mayonnaise, garlic powder, pepper, mustard), stir and stash in refrigerator - makes enough for several meals (eat it alone, on a sandwich or top a salad with it). And a crock pot makes a good pot of soup out of just about anything you throw in it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom is allergic to wheat so she's experimented with making stuff without thickeners.

It's heavy cream we use. Costco or Cash & Carry here have it for fairly cheap for a big thing of it. The starch from the potatoes thickens it just right. Can put shredded cheese on top at the end if it is desired

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
huh, only spent $97.14 on groceries last month (credit card billing cycle). :weeeSkipping the "on sale" items and eating down our pantry makes a big difference. After excluding home improvement spending we were at $715. Not bad, especially since we started the budget halfway through the billing cycle, a $91 auction purchase, and an $80 amazon prime ooops.

My goal for next month/billing cycle is $700.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make a lot of casseroles. They are cheap and go far, most freeze well. One of my husbands favorites is my Greek past and beef--1# ground beef ( we like it. sausage better) 1 onion, 1 garlic, 8 oz. tom. sauce, 1/2 C. water 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp.cinn. 1/4 tsp. nutmeg 1/4 tsp. pepper 1# macaroni, cooked & drained, 1 egg slightly beaten, 1/2 C. parmesan cheese Sauce-- 1/4 C. butter, 1/4 C. flour, 1/4 tsp.cinn. 3 C. milk, 2 eggs slightly beaten, 1/3 C. parmesan cheese
Cook beef and onion, garlic, add tom. sauce, water and seasonings. simmer 10 min.In bowl mix macaroni, egg and parmesan set aside. Melt butter, stir in flour, cinn. Gradually add milk. Boil 2 min. Cool slightly stir small amount into egg mix, return all to pan . Cook 2 min. Remove from heat , stir in cheese. In greased 3 qt. baking dish spread 1/2 macaroni mix, all meat mix, rest macaroni mix. Pour sauce over. Bake uncovered 350 * 45-50 min.Let stand 5 min. 12 servings This is very filling!
Ham stew w/ dumplings-- Ham bone, and assorted dried beans if desired, boil to remove meat and cook beans. Chunk meat up return to pan. Add diced tom. , tom. paste,Add onions, garlic, gr. beans. baked beans, peas, corn, okra, any other veggies you like (good with spinach ). Simmer till done , make dumplings.

My husbands favorite way I make meatloaf is putting it in muffin tins w/ bbq sauce. It only needs to bake 20 min. or less. They freeze great

We like buying whole beef briskets and whole pork butts/ shoulders They are pricey but you can make so many meals with the amount of meat you end up with. We usually divide them in half, he smokes one and I put the othr in the crock pot. I slice some of each, chunk some up and shred the rest. I make enchiladas, tacos, lasagna, hand pies, chimichangas, taquitos, sandwiches, shepards pie, stew,chili, etc.

Monica

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the sound of those casseroles. I like making stuff like that because it makes great leftovers, which we have for lunch. I buy the large cuts of meat as well; some gets frozen, a lot of it gets canned- either plain or in soups, chili, etc. I bought a pork leg a while back and made 2 canner loads of chile verde and 1 load of pozole -- wonderful for a quick dinner or lunch!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made TONS of venison ravioli out of 1 lb. ground venison. Very good!

I make a very good ham stew with veggies and beans, I will find the recipe.

We like smoking or crock potting a whole brisket or whole pork shoulder. We get soooo many meals from them. I just slow cooked 2 whole chickens and have gotten 1 meal right away. Now cooking a chicken and rice casserole that we will get about 2 1/2 meals from. I will make chicken nachos for 3-4 meals and chicken and broccoli casserole for about 3 1/2 meals.

Casseroles go a looong way and are cheap to make. Throw whatever is around along with rice, pasta, beans or potatoes.

Enchiladas go a long way also. That is my husbands favorite thing for me to do with leftover meat.

Homemade pizza - I make individual ones and freeze them.

Pot pies are a good stretcher also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We only have 8 acres, no room for raising cows. I have 4 sheep, just getting started. I keep us in beef off the dead meat counter. I gave away most of my hens before we moved, just kept a few for eggs. I want to raise Delaware and will order in the spring. I will finally be able to have a rooster and want to raise my own chicks.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Britesea I gardened on a tiny city lot for many years. The 16 acres only held the horses, it wasn't good for much else and was heavily wooded. Having 8 acres to play on plus the benefit of having horses practically in my backyard is a slice of pure heaven. I can really identify with your yearning for a larger piece of property, believe me. I go walk around on our 8 acres like it is a big ranch. :lol: I look at the ranches around here with the pipe fences, brick entries with automatic gates, beautiful pastures, cattle, barns and fine homes..... and am so grateful for what I have. I love our little farm. :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know this thread is super old... But I am so happy I found it! And @baymule you need to write a homesteader's cookbook. Such great ideas! I can't wait to try some of this stuff. I'll have 35 chickens and a pig, probably 2 in the freezer this winter. Oh and 4 or so turkeys and hopefully a deer or two. So my meat bill is covered (as in I've been paying to feed them all summer!) and I want to eat all winter for next to nothing!