New budget

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Did I mention every year I start with high hopes for a low budget! This year is no different. I'm proud of my results for the last fiscal month. Keeping going past January keeps getting more and more difficult!

I found a new-to-me recipe to share.

I end up with a lot of crusty chunks of homemade bread - more than I can use up as breadcrumb. I'm avoiding buying fresh veggies in winter, but I have plenty of dehydrated veggies that I have a hard time finding uses for.

I found a "strata" casserole recipe. Simplified so you can apply it to whatever leftovers you tend to have.

Cubed stale bread to fill a casserole dish 2/3 full.
Leftover cooked meat
Grated/diced fresh veggies, or rehydrated veggies
^^^mix and dump into untreated casserole dish

I used 2 grated carrots, about 1 cup chopped dehydrated tomato slices, and a handful of dehydrated kale (before I ground it into powder). I used ground mutton for meat. S

mix egg and milk (or broth?) and pour over. I used 6 eggs and 1-1/2 cup milk for 9x13 pan. Also 1/2 stick melted butter. Add seasonings to the liquid. I used 1/2 t onion powder, 1/2 t salt. I'll probably use bacon fat for part or all next time.

cover, refrigerate "overnight"
bake 350, about an hour

My bread was very dry, so I poured extra milk over it during the "overnight" part of the recipe.

The top half was fabulously crusty, the bottom was like a savory bread pudding. Kids and I liked it a lot, hubby says it's tolerable. I'll be making it about every other week to use up our bread heels! Yum! ❤

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use stale bread to make bread pudding -- ESPECIALLY when I have a glut of eggs & goat milk in Spring. So this idea of veggies instead is good. I would "think" of it as a dressing with veggies & put the spices in along that line....maybe some cheese on top.
For you, maybe a little less liquid would please DH more. Maybe throw some rice in, to help absorb liquids.

I LOVE to use leftovers & not waste. Of course, my chickens do get some of them. But, helps with feed bills so that's ok. Generally they get what's left from my "makeovers" of leftovers. :p

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to use the formula for the universal casserole from the "Tightwad Gazette". It is very versatile and inexpensive since you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand.

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1-2 cups starchy ingredient
1 1/2 cup binder
1/4 cup goodie
seasoning
topping
Main ingredient is something like meat or seafood.
Second ingredient is a complimentary vegetable.
Starch ingredient is of course pasta, rice, potatoes, even beans.
Binder could be can soup, leftover gravy, cream cheese, sour cream.
"Goodie" is expensive type things like pimento, nuts, olives, cheese
Toppings can be crushed crackers, bread crumbs, cheese, crushed chips, etc.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your health troubles. I have migraines so I'm sometimes in the same predicament, though it's typically more short lived. I do try to stock up on food in the freezer (homemade soups, etc) but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I hope you continue to feel better! (also I love the spoon reference, you made my day that you know about that too!)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BUDGETS :he

They are so, so hard! But, it is good practice for aging. :caf Yep. I am on a VERY tight one now as I want to be able to stop most all working within 2 yrs. :idunno I seems where I would LIKE to be. Ain't getting any younger, no matter how hard I try! So facing fact that my own spending MUST be limited. I have spent some "discretionary" funds that probably should have gone to paying something else in advance but, I know that once I do stop working there will be almost no chance to buy these things. Plus they will actually save me, or make me some $$$.

I can tell you that you CAN NOT eat out...you MUST plan trips to save gas (ie. feed store, grocery, etc. all in one trip). Put a calendar on frig to add to planning such trips. We all know about gardens, canning, freezing foods -- which you already DO. Continue. Use more of what you have rather than buying something. Yeah, I need to eat more eggs! Soon I can milk again and that will offset any milk, cheese, butter, etc.

It sounds so simple and is so hard to start. Then, it becomes second nature. What helps me is writing that budget down...then using cash in hand for my allowed purchasing. You really get tight when you have only $5 of your allowance left!!!!! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Get a cook book of easy to make meals. When you're ready to go shopping, see what's on sale and plan your menu from that. Many people do it backwards. They come up w/a menu, then their shopping list.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ham thread
http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/ham-5-1-2-pounds-for-9-40-how-many-meals.13018/

Chicken thread
http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/one-chicken-5-meals-for-3-people.12989/

squash pizza
http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/squash-pizza.12437/

This is really good-tastes like apple pie!
Zuchinni Cobbler
FILLING
8 cups Zuc. peeled and seeded use large
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix and cook until tender and set aside to cool

CRUST
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup butter or oleo
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top

Mix crust till crumbly and pat 1/2 of crust into an oblong baking dish.
Bake that crust for 10 minutes at 375*
Place filling on baked crust and then put other 1/2 of crust mix over filling.
Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar over top.
Bake at 375* for 30 minutes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We will have chickens and a garden. We eat a lot of venison. We might breed one of the goat girls for a meaty baby? I hope fishing at the riverbank is good.

Thanks for the ham idea! That would be a nice change of flavor for us. Lots of meals from a ham too!

We still have squash from last year's garden that needs eating. I hate squash. :( But hey, it would be variety, and we already have it!

Non grocery items: I will need some spring and summer shirts and some farm clothes. Good thing I prefer shopping at Goodwill, but I'll have to plan for it and spread it out over a couple of months.
There won't be any "making it a home" until our city house sells. Then I can breathe easier and make some curtains or something. :)

Latest posts