NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So much rain the past two days! Guy didn't come yet to get the pig, he had said Friday or Sunday. It was not pig chasing weather today. Our friend did say if the guy doesn't call or show up Sunday he'll help us bring her over there. He has a pig crate that we can put in his truck. So, if all goes well we butcher the other pig next week. Then next weekend is chicken butchering weekend for the remaining meat birds and one or two roos, and one meat turkey that has a bad foot and is starting to get beat on by the others. Poor girl.

So by next weekend we should have a pig, 16 or so chickens and a turkey in the freezer. That'll leave two more roos and the other 5 meat turkeys for just before Thanksgiving.

Crazy day today, my daughter's fourth birthday. She's such a little adult in a four year old body, which might be hard for her. She doesn't like it when kids act obnoxiously. She might have trouble "fitting in" until she's older. But she's stubborn, self confident little thing. She'll be fine.

Someone we know was criticizing me for planning to homeschool the other day. It hurt a little... I'll admit it's hard being constantly told you're doing wrong by your kid.

Sigh... Oh well... Good day anyway!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is always a nay-sayer to rain on your parade. You choose to let them cloud up your day or you choose to ignore them, smile politely, say something non committal and get on with your day. So who is this person constantly telling you are doing wrong by your child? :fl

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No one really, just an idiot lol. He and I got into a disagreement over a year ago about goats. He got two of themand thought he was brilliant, within a month one died and he sold the other one. Congrats dummy. My husband says I need to ignore him, but I don't do well with ignoring. I prefer to prove that they're wrong haha!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is always an expert no matter what subject is brought up. I'm thinking that may be me, lol. A friend once asked me something and I answered her. She said, "You know everything! Why is that?" I told her I had a photographic memory and she said, "Oh, no wonder." I couldn't keep a straight face because she was so serious. I told her I was kidding and that I just read a lot. I'm sure people think I'm a know it all but are too polite to say anything. My children constantly inform me I don't know everything though. I tell them, yes I do and laugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut too. We have another acquaintance who got a Brown Swiss bull calf and is raising it to breed (why??) and left his horns. He has zero cattle experience and insecure fencing. The bull is not mature yet and is already trying to push everyone around. I've told him everything I've read and know about cattle and he doesn't want to hear it. One day.... He'll wish he listened to me!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pig guy is at my house! I'm not home (still birthday -ing ) but my husband is there loading her up right now. Not sure if they've worked a deal but I'll post when I know!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well the dude has a walk in meat cooler he is going to let us put our pig in to hang. Plus I think we are getting a spring piglet from the one we sold him. So we are going to look at our week and plan a day to butcher.