NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Should be able to. My husband's friend wants to help so I should have a chance to take pictures!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK... Pig tomorrow afternoon. Have to run to Home Depot in the morning and dig a hole when we get home.

Our meat birds are going this weekend. Hopefully also our little cockerels will go and our heritage tom... And one broad breasted turkey. But I might be pushing my luck asking for all that! Lol if not, my husband has to help his friend do birds the following weekend so whatever doesn't get done this weekend will happen then. Our feed bill is about to be drastically reduced and so is the amount of time I spend on chores! Yes!

Peppermint, one of my mini alpines is in heat and wants the world to know it. I told my husband I'm about ready to just throw her in with the buckling and she can yell at him instead! (he doesn't get his role yet)

So excited for pork chops! And bacon! Mmmm

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't like ham so we brine and smoke bacon and the hams and make the ham into pulled pork. My husband did it with someone else last year but we haven't built our smoker yet. So he has a friend that does BBQ competitions who will smoke for us. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll do have some convenient friends, lol. One who can hang meat for you and another who will smoke it. I need some of those. Of course, I do have a neighbor who will do my killing for me - he's pretty handy to have around.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fed piggie her last breakfast. Pumpkin guts, some various veggies scraps, cracked corn and a beer. She drank the beer and yelled at me for more. Classy pig.

our friend will be here around 2 so we'll get going shortly after that. I'm not going to be much help, I hurt my wrist on my right hand (I'm right handed) yesterday. I'm actually really glad I'm not milking because I'd be constantly irritating it. It felt better until I did chores this morning, now it aches again. Oh well... Tough it out!

Yes we have some helpful friends. And some life - sucking ones. The guy we thought could smoke for us might not though, so we may be building a makeshift smoker while the bacon brines. We are just going to make ground pork out of the hams instead because of that. We are going to butcher another one in the spring and should be able to do everything exactly the way we want it, but for now we do what we can!