Northed - Not so far north

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Northed said:
Hi everyone! I haven't updated here for ages. I'll just post to give you an idea of the extent of my crappy kitchen skills. This morning, I pretty much went crazy trying to make a small batch of fairy bread. That's just margarine and hundreds and thousands!

Several rounds of wrong ingredients, spilled sprinkles and lumpy hard butter later... they turned out quite well.
I'm scared to even attempt anything harder. :lol:
Don't worry, it gets better... I bought 'Canning and Preserving for Dummies' to learn how to can my garden stuff... first time out I caught the book on fire on the stove top by turning the wrong burner on and nearly burned my kitchen down... now my book has a funny burnt cover which I think just gives it character :)

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm going to make fairy bread again tomorrow. I hope this time I can get it done in relatively quick time. :p

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Having chillin' time today, nothing on, no plans, nothing that needs doing. Whew!
I saw Salmon Fishing in the Yemen the other day. Have any of the rest of you seen it? It was fantastic! The beginning was actually pretty funny, and at the end, when the salmon were alive, that was too cute. "I'll involve the local community! Make it their project!"
My mother is in love with the BBC. I can't say they're so bad myself. :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never seen that show... but I have watched the salmon run before. When I was young, there was a ladder dam by us - we'd watch them jump the dam. That was so cool! A while back, my brother took me over to a small creek while they were running. It was wild seeing those huge fish, almost half their bodies out of the water, swimming up to spawn!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Never seen it or the salmon running.

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SSD: Sounds very cool. I'd love to see that one day, but nothing lives in our city river besides carp, and the fishing peeps feed those to the pelicans. It's not a very nice river, although the surrounding parks are pretty decent. I ignorantly never imagined that the salmon would actually jump out the water on their run, that's amazing.

Deb: It's just come out in cinemas, pretty good film. (Yeah, it's a film, not a show, sorry I should've clarified. :lol:)

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well hello folks! Long time no post, I know.
Not much has happened at all round here. The chickens, as usual, have been crapping all over the patio area, and I've been going at it with a spade. The grass is beginning to grow back. The weather has been unusually warm lately, which I can't say I prefer to having a bit of rain. :p
I think I have a new favourite movie, Titanic. I want to watch the 3D version in cinemas, I'm a sucker for the ending.

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Who likes the beach?
4849_dscf2750.jpg

This was okay. It's from Sydney, where I was recently (yeah, it's that trip I was going on about a few pages back).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Nice! And I like the little bit of a rainbow I can see.

Northed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Funny, I never even noticed that before. :lol:
It was a pretty drab day when we were there. The young lady behind us on the bus overheard me saying that it looked nothing like the huge expanse of golden sand they film for TV. (It's Bondi beach)
It wasn't even that big of an area, I was under the impression that it stretched on for miles.
Oh well, TV seems to do that. :lol:

Latest posts