Overpopulation...how does this set with you?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anybody that believes that the world is in trouble because the population is growing and there isn't t enough farmland to feed all of those people has not driven through any of the plains states and seen all of the farmland NOT being farmed because the farmers are being paid to NOT farm it (CRP).

There is plenty of farmland. It just isn't being farmed.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
And I wouldn't want to live on a planet that farmed every inch that could be farmed, starving out native plants and animals. It wouldn't be much of a life, there wouldn't be much beauty.

I don't believe we have a production problem but that we have a distribution problem. I read that as many people on this planet starve as are overweight. I worry more about pollution and other environmental issues related to population increases.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
And I wouldn't want to live on a planet that farmed every inch that could be farmed, starving out native plants and animals. It wouldn't be much of a life, there wouldn't be much beauty.

I don't believe we have a production problem but that we have a distribution problem. I read that as many people on this planet starve as are overweight. I worry more about pollution and other environmental issues related to population increases.
Oh, I agree with you on that.

I was just pointing out the fallacy that thinking one of the reasons we need to reduce the population is that there isn't enough farmland.

And, I also agree with you that as many people starve as are overweight.

And, there is just simply too much waste of the food that is already out there.

me&thegals

Reaction score
ScottSD said:
True! Just a view of the food wasted in one school cafeteria is appalling! I'm thrilled to have finally convinced our local food pantry to come get the leftovers after the farmer's markets. They do this in a large city by us, too. It would be awesome to see more "gleaning" organized for those of us at the end of our growing seasons with food in the field but no more farmer's markets to sell at.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
Anybody that believes that the world is in trouble because the population is growing and there isn't t enough farmland to feed all of those people has not driven through any of the plains states and seen all of the farmland NOT being farmed because the farmers are being paid to NOT farm it (CRP).

There is plenty of farmland. It just isn't being farmed.
Water may be more of an issue than dirt.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ScottSD said:
True! Just a view of the food wasted in one school cafeteria is appalling! I'm thrilled to have finally convinced our local food pantry to come get the leftovers after the farmer's markets. They do this in a large city by us, too. It would be awesome to see more "gleaning" organized for those of us at the end of our growing seasons with food in the field but no more farmer's markets to sell at.
Government regulations stand in the way of saving most of the food that could be saved for giving to the poor.

We all know that much of the prepared food thrown out could easily be sent down to the local salvation army. It could even be frozen to store it. But health regulations prevent it.

me&thegals

Reaction score
True to both of the above statements. I seriously wonder if there will be wars fought over potable water. I feel pretty lucky to be in the midwest, far away from oceanic issues and near the freshwater Great Lakes.