Pie!!!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and the Wildbunch love their pies, cobblers, cakes, cookies, etc. I usually make tarts instead of pies just because they make bigger slices for the six of us and the kiddos think they are eating more. I like to make cobblers because it's easier to make than rolling out a couple of pie crust. We also like to make pudding cake for a easy desert. It is cheaper to crank out a dessert than buy sweets. Probably healthier too since you can pronounce all the ingredients. Our lastest dessert has been frozen banana slices topped with my homemade chocolate syrup.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were hiking in Yosemite once, when the bushes to the right of us rustled and out popped a bear, not 5 feet away! Luckily, he was was surprised as us, and skedaddled back the way he came.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back on "pie" topic. Has anyone made rhubarb pie? I watched someone years (almost 40) make one and it was the easiest thing as well as I can remember.

Juanita's Rhubarb Pie

1. First she cut the rhubarb into thin slices.
2. Next she tossed the rhubarb slices into a 1 1/2 cup of sugar and about 1/2 cup flour.
3. She put about 1/2 butter slices on the bottom of the crust.
4. Topped it with the rhubarb, flour, sugar mixture.
5. Lastly she topped it with another unbaked crust. Seal the edges and put some vent holes in the top crust.

I'm not sure about what temp and for how long but I would think maybe 350 degrees and an hour long. ???

I've never been able to grow or even find rhubarb but I would love to because I've never forgot how good it was.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows I would constantly be dragging DH away from that pie place, lol. He would set up camp at a place like that. He is constantly telling me I should start selling pies but I know he would eat them all up first.

DH works at the poultry processing plant but I'm the designated killer, processor of our yardbirds. He does offer up his opinion while I'm doing it however.:barnie

@ducks4you I love to can up apple pie filling and apple pie preserves both. I just used my last apple pie filling a couple of days ago for an apple crisp and just opened the last jar of apple pie preserves this morning.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love apple pie! Bad apple year here so I didn't make any.