Pie!!!

Annabellam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Give me pies any time! The photos are to die for. Should make some pies soon as well. Thanks;)

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have also had a couple of bear encounters in my travels. on one hiking adventure in the mountains, we happily tripped around a bend in the trail, and sitting right in the middle of the trail, not 50 feet away was this beautiful black bear. "what's the protocol here?" i ask. to which my much wiser son replied: " very quietly and very slowly back up".
his mother didn't get that report, either...:eek:

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@sumi Hah, Hah! too funny. . . because it's true. trust me :(
can i ask: 'where is the 'veld'?

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i seem to have drawn us way off topic here. could we please go back to talking about pies? preferably blackberry? and ice cream? preferably home made? :drool :drool :drool

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi Hah, Hah! too funny. . . because it's true. trust me :(
can i ask: 'where is the 'veld'?
The "veld" is (this explains it better than I can)
  1. open, uncultivated country or grassland in southern Africa. It is conventionally divided by altitude into highveld, middleveld, and lowveld.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
i seem to have drawn us way off topic here. could we please go back to talking about pies? preferably blackberry? and ice cream? preferably home made? :drool :drool :drool
O.K. pies… not blackberry, sorry. I used to bake chicken pies and perfected my recipe… and then stopped eating chicken meat. To make up for that little problem, I swapped out the chicken meat for duck meat and found that actually worked and tasted better than chicken! The flavour was absolutely amazing. Only problem being the required amount of duck meat cost nearly 5x as much as chicken (in S.A.) I sometimes used turkey meat instead and that also worked o.k. though it didn't taste as good!

Have any of you made duck pies yet? Like you would a chicken and mushroom pie?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would it be terribly off topic to ask why you stopped eating chicken?

I do chicken pot pie...I've done it with turkey too. Yum... I should make some this week! I've only eaten duck once but not in a pie!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Strawberry rhubarb pie is my favorite thing! It also gives me horrible heartburn... I don't know why, but it's so worth it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader I found it very hard to cook chicken meat with a brooder full of chicks a few feet away! Then reading about the things that went into raising broilers on a commercial scale in S.A. and what went into the meat itself was enough to put me off buying chicken. Eating my own was not an option for me, so I stopped altogether. It's been about 9 years now.

@MoonShadows :drool I'd travel to go support those bakers too!